Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Sheaths

Offline FRESHpalm

Sheaths
on: January 02, 2008, 03:13:50 AM
Hi i just have 1 question...

For sheaths, Are nylon sheaths heavy duty enough like the ones buck supply can they take some serious abuse?
Also which is better nylon or leather just for the sake of holding up and not wearing out.
Thanks guys!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Re: Sheaths
Reply #1 on: January 02, 2008, 03:29:30 AM
Asking on material alone leaves a lot open for speculation. Even at that there are many qualities of Leathers and Nylons.

What sheaths do you already have, that might be used as a "control" to compare to?

Wisely or not, I prefer leather sheaths. I have no functional excuse to back this up, I just think they look better, and I hate cows.

When the time comes, I'll have custom made sheaths from any and all exotic and endangered animals - from Whale to Crocodile, and perhaps even one from a cute little Koala.

Some feel that Nylon is superior, as unlike leather, it is less likely to react with various environmental stimuli.
Cordura (Nylon), seems to be favoured for a variety of "tactical" products.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 03:49:15 AM by Nomad »

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:12:55 AM
While leather definatly looks the part, for a user I much prefere kydex as it's totally water proof, easy to clean and if you unlucky enough to full on the sheath (easily done on difficult trails) it'll protect you from the blade better :)

Cordura's good in that it's pretty hard wearing and can be waterproofed if the manufactures add a lining, but even if they don't it will dry quickly, and won't rot like leather :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #3 on: January 02, 2008, 08:35:26 PM
Like Nomad wrote, there's cheap versions of both nylon and leather sheaths. I've had a nylon Bianchi cellphone holster that's held up superbly the 3 years I've had it. Like Mickyd I do like Kydex too because, if made/molded correctly, it fits the item(s) perfectly. I've been EDC'ing my Mini-Ambush IWB but would rather Kydex sheath it for easier/faster access at work.... also less chance freaking customers out if it's sheathed. If you really like nylon or leather than ensure you get a quality built product. Whether it's my $40 Mini-Ambush or a $80 Mini-Griptilian D2 version, I don't wanna lose either so a quality sheath/holster is a must!
Splat

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 09:03:40 PM
I agree with Micky and Splat. I also prefer Kydex. But leather vs. nylon-I would pick nylon because it will not get water damage like expanding and then breaking or anything when it comes into contact with water. Also, leather sheaths will scratch up if you rub against something while nylon sheaths won't..
B

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 10:22:39 PM
Thanks, What kind of quality sheaths does buck make? And if i wanted to get a kydex sheath where do i go to get a custom one for a certain knife?

Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 10:28:35 PM
Thanks, What kind of quality sheaths does buck make? And if i wanted to get a kydex sheath where do i go to get a custom one for a certain knife?
A lot of the guy's here (and on lesser forums :D)  swear by this guy...

http://www.onscenetactical.com/

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 11:45:55 PM
we are lucky because I think they all can be good and lasting. I've seen some leather sheaths that have lasted over decades and longer
and still look nice and hold good. a good leather maker can make your sheath fit as nice and secure as kydex,

of course it will cost! I like em all for all types of applications. I have leather, kydex, nylon and "other!" (thanks leatherman). take care of your sheaths,
whatever they are made of (as long as it's reasonable quality) and it will last you your lifetime and more.
but my fav is leather;

* df ss4 sm.jpg (Filesize: 47.42 KB)

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 02:17:08 AM
Like Def always says try Eric @ On Scene Tactical. He has kydex molds for almost every knife and if he doesn't you could send it to him and it will be ' custom'!
B

Offline TWBryan

Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 03:46:19 PM
         Since leather draws moisture ,I prefer kydex,but have also built sheathes from PVC.
T

us Offline Splat

Reply #10 on: January 04, 2008, 04:08:39 PM
         Since leather draws moisture ,I prefer kydex,but have also built sheathes from PVC.

Whah? PVC? Any pics or more info?
Splat

Offline TWBryan

Reply #11 on: January 04, 2008, 04:37:08 PM
   I'll try to post some pics here.

* pvcfinal.jpg (Filesize: 56.04 KB)

* PVCmach.jpg (Filesize: 59.27 KB)

* PVCmach2.jpg (Filesize: 62.26 KB)
T

Reply #12 on: January 04, 2008, 04:38:40 PM
Good workman like designs there mate, I like em :)

Offline TWBryan

Reply #13 on: January 04, 2008, 05:02:48 PM
         My methodolgy may be different then some. First figure what you want to make,what width and length. I clamp down the pvc pipe and mark it,split it lengthwise w/ a circular saw. Cut to length and put in a kitchen oven 200 degrees for ten minutes.Five minutes if you preheat. When it gets rubbery you take it out clamp to your workbench with a board to flatten it out. I use a jigsaw to cut the pieces to size and shape. For light molding and bends you can use a heat gun. I'm still experimenting on how to join the pieces,the khukri sheath was pulled together using old copper wire. The machete sheath is held together with short bits of copper tubing ,flared at each end like an eyelet.
       Someday I may be able to make something that isn't painful to look at,but for now I'll settle on function over form.
T

us Offline Splat

Reply #14 on: January 04, 2008, 07:03:39 PM
I gotta admit, that's pretty friggin' cool. We need a thunbs-up smiley for times like this, but instead...  :cheers:  I never thought of heating the PVC, mainly because I thought it would burst into flames but if you do it slowly I guess it works. I'm gonna try that in the future. Cool job, Bry!
Splat

Offline TWBryan

Reply #15 on: January 04, 2008, 07:44:45 PM
             Thanks Splat, being poor has allowed me many opportunities to improvise..
T

Offline FRESHpalm

Reply #16 on: January 04, 2008, 09:58:17 PM
Pvc pipes :0 never thought of that one good on ya mate

Reply #17 on: January 04, 2008, 10:07:27 PM
             Thanks Splat, being poor has allowed me many opportunities to improvise..
Aint that the truth ::)

Offline Burkc

Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 07:13:37 PM
Being kind of the cowboy type I prefer a really heavy oiled harness leather. I recently got a Moore Maker trapper knife and a really cool oiled harness leather holster. I call it that because it looks just like a small single action pistol holster I have. This isn't a very good picture but it is the only one I could find online.

The knife is also very cool (for a non-locking blade)

* Knife scabbard.jpg (Filesize: 4.86 KB)

* trapper.jpg (Filesize: 70.51 KB)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 07:23:53 PM by Burkc »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69