Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Flat or pointy tweezers?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Flat or pointy tweezers?
on: November 05, 2011, 05:27:30 PM
My old (now lost) climber had the hidden tweezer channel opened and a second tweezer ground to pointy tip fitted. It came in useful when I had to pull splinters and the flat tip tweezer doesn't work at all.

The new replacement climber to my great disappointment no longer has that feature, the scale is empty at the same spot.  :-\

So now comes the question, since there's only one, which would be more useful, pointy or flat tweezers?

Below is example of what I'm talking about, as oppose to the flat tip that came with SAK.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Re: Flat or pointy tweezers?
Reply #1 on: November 05, 2011, 08:35:12 PM
I think it depends.  My experience is that the only thing pointed tweezers have on flat edged ones is for getting splinters. 

In general though, I haven't had much success with SAK tweezers, or the ones in my CS for that matter either.  They're just not stiff enough to really get a purchase on most of what I've tried to use them for, like pulling thorns, staples, or shards of glass out of bike tires.  I don't even have much luck with things like stray whiskers or schnoz hairs... :P  I usually just carry a couple of beefier dedicated tweezers instead.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: November 05, 2011, 08:50:58 PM
SAK tweezers are nice to have, but Uncle Bills Silver Grippers rule the roost. Next up for heavier splinters its SAK pliers followed by the pliers on a MP 700. Unfortunately the scale tweezers don't have gripping power for anything other than the lightest jobs regardless of how their ground IMHO

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2011, 10:21:27 PM
What tasks do you find flat tip excel at compare with pointy tip? Besides pulling eyebrow whisker, since those can wait till better tools are available.  :D

us Offline Mike 56

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 05, 2011, 10:33:19 PM
All of the plus scales i have bought from RotoKid have had a slot for an extra set tweezers.
Mike
I think Alcohol, Tabacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency. 

Mike

Offline richs2891

Reply #5 on: November 05, 2011, 10:42:50 PM
Ah thanks for that - just been trying to work out where this extra channel is !
So do you have to re angle the head of the tweezers so they fit properly ?
Or is there anything else useful that I could put there
PS I dont have a problem with the flat tweezers as only use them to pull hairs out with.
Richard
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 10:46:11 PM by richs2891 »

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #6 on: November 05, 2011, 10:57:53 PM
All of the plus scales i have bought from RotoKid have had a slot for an extra set tweezers.
Mike

Strange, wonder if it's because they are older stock or solid scales still have them (mine's transparent).

Ah thanks for that - just been trying to work out where this extra channel is !
So do you have to re angle the head of the tweezers so they fit properly ?
Or is there anything else useful that I could put there
PS I dont have a problem with the flat tweezers as only use them to pull hairs out with.
Richard

The head shape needs to be changed a little bit, not sure about what else can fit, never tried.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%