Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Reviving a wee Cadet

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Reviving a wee Cadet
on: November 26, 2011, 07:50:01 AM
I do like green SAKs & when it comes to Alox I really like the smaller versions , opposite to what I like with Cellidor SAKs  :think: :think:. Anyways Dennis sent me this intact & nicely worn green Alox Cadet. The action is great with good snap & lock BUT the poor old blade looks like it had a tussle with someone who was legally blind with a bad twitch. The attempt at sharpening was umm unsuccessful  ::) :D :D.

The Cadet has been blessed with a blunt 'wave' grind + decretive scraping marks all over worse near the tip.

The other side is a partial 'wave' grind & less scratched. I wonder what people are thinking when the attack knife edges with bench grinders or worse  :ahhh :ahhh

I spent some time on my Sharpmaker's brown stones & got a partial edge. I was getting a bit bored working away on the Sharpmaker so I decided to have a break from edge surgery & took to polishing the blades's scratches out. I used some 140 grit sand paper than some 240 grit & finished with some 600 grit wet n dry.I then used some Super branded metal polishing paste it worked REALLY well. I just used a rag to hand polish & it came up quite nice.I have a Super brand rust eraser.I am really happy with both of their products  :tu: :tu:.

I think I got 80-90% of the scratches out , the worst part near the blade tip is still visible but much better than before.

I spent ages using the brown stones on my Sharpmaker & the edge still has a bit of a wave to it but I am happy to use it as is.Iam tempted to invest in some corse diamond stones for my Sharpmaker , the brown stones just take too long when you need to reestablish/rescue a edge. It is a shame the diamond stones are so expensive.

I love the look of worn Alox , I think I have found a new favourite for my pocket  8) :D :D.
Thanks again Dennis for sending me this nice fixer upper  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

za Offline meanx

Re: Reviving a wee Cadet
Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 08:40:48 AM
That's the first worn green alox I've seen and it looks great.
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Re: Reviving a wee Cadet
Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 01:21:34 PM
Somebody did a number on that one. The Apex with the 120 stone would fix that up pretty fast. The 120 stone is designed to do major changes.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%