Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

No-Brand vs PST (pic heavy and maybe not worth it).

Gareth · 17 · 4747

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
on: November 07, 2011, 12:26:30 AM
So as promised (here; http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31948.msg528101.html#msg528101 )I've done a little head-to-head comparison between a good old Leatherman PST and a no-brand PST 'inspired' generic MT.

The no brand actually has what is quite a nice feeling 'soft touch' coating on the handles that I rather like.  Very thin mind you and rather flimsy feeling, but nice to hold.

The one feature the pliers have that the PST's don't is the fact that they are sprung.  Though sadly the spring is a small and delicate thing that doesn't inspire much confidence.  As a pair of folding pliers these are actually OK, if not exactly as nicely finished as the PST's. 

I'm going to be nice about this one; the can opener is actually pretty good.  Certainly no worse that the one found on the PST. :tu:

Ah.  Now we come to the Phillips screwdriver. :-\  This always seems to be the bane of cheaply made MT's.  To be fair this one isn't nearly as bad as some I've seen but it's nowhere near as good as the one on the PST.  It also suffers from the tendency to fold inwards with the least sideways pressure when in use.

The rest of the drivers have their good and bad points.  The good news is that the smallest driver is of a far more useful size than the PST's (which always seemed to be ridiculously small IMO), the bad news is that the 'drivers are very rounded and over-polished.

The file is actually interesting.  Given that the handles lack any measurment markings they've added a small ruler, plus we also get a fish scaler and hook remover.  The execution is a bit on the rough side but 10/10 for effort I say.  There's little doubt that the PST's file is of better quality though.

Nearly there. ;)  The awl is a bit of a shock, it's really not bad! :o  It's one heck of a lot sharper than the one you get on the PST anyway.

As it comes the blade is good for spreading butter, but not much else.  The awl comes sharper. ::)  Still I'm sure I could put an edge on it, I'm just not sure it'll stay there. ;)

Well this ends the comparison.  This isn't the worst PST clone I've ever held but it hardly inspires confidence.  If this represents the majority of MT's that folks ever pick up then it's no wonder a lot of people have a low opinion of MT's in general.  Happily even the PST blows this thing out of the water, and there are now many, many better MT's available from Leatherman and the other big brands. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Crouton

• No Life Club
  • "Live long and ..useful."
Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 12:45:28 AM
That was well worth the bandwidth.  Thanks.
:)

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Re: No-Brand vs PST (pic heavy and maybe not worth it).
Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 01:33:38 AM
Nice review Gareth :tu: I kinda like that soft touch coating, its odd stuff, anyone any wiser on what it is :think: I thought the same with that little 'girly' spring, although it does look like it could be changed easily. Oh and I'm not a fan of those fishy pokey thingys but I give it plus point for putting a file on the back of it. Wouldn't mind seeing a side by side review on the crunch clone :salute:
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:38:11 AM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 01:38:49 AM
Thanks for that Gareth. :salute: Sadly, I think your comment there at the end was absolutely spot on. :-\

If this represents the majority of MT's that folks ever pick up then it's no wonder a lot of people have a low opinion of MT's in general.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Neil

• Multitool.org Main Site Manager
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 12:55:14 PM
Thanks for the write up Gareth :tu:

I've seen a lot worse tools, seen better though :)  What it so difficult about a philips driver that so many get so wrong :think:
I'm not taking any more mod orders at present, sorry.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 07:14:43 PM
Cheers chaps. :D

Nice review Gareth :tu: I kinda like that soft touch coating, its odd stuff, anyone any wiser on what it is :think: I thought the same with that little 'girly' spring, although it does look like it could be changed easily. Oh and I'm not a fan of those fishy pokey thingys but I give it plus point for putting a file on the back of it. Wouldn't mind seeing a side by side review on the crunch clone :salute:

Sadly I don't have a Crunch to do a side-by-side. :cry:  Luckily someone has already done one. :D

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,13593.0.html

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 07:22:24 PM
Good one Gareth..   :salute:
 You just reminded me why I stay the heck away from knockoffs..  :tu:

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 07:46:43 PM

Sadly I don't have a Crunch to do a side-by-side. :cry:  Luckily someone has already done one. :D

Thanks for that Gareth :tu: just read that post, almost bumped it to see if anyone replied. As with any of these clones/knock off's, I'm amazed how they get away with it and or why it continues :think: I don't have a Crunch but just looking at it I can see its quality but that Jack Pyke one the moment I got it via ebay for £7 purely to get an idea of a Crunch, I new it wasn't go to compare other than having the same style. However after playing with it I felt the genuine Crunch was not for me, so in that way It helped me decide, hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 07:49:37 PM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 08:02:30 PM

Thanks for that Gareth :tu: just read that post, almost bumped it to see if anyone replied. As with any of these clones/knock off's, I'm amazed how they get away with it and or why it continues :think: I don't have a Crunch but just looking at it I can see its quality but that Jack Pyke one the moment I got it via ebay for £7 purely to get an idea of a Crunch, I new it wasn't go to compare other than having the same style. However after playing with it I knew the genuine Crunch was not for me, so in that way It helped me decide, hope that makes sense.
I did actually get to play with the two MT's from DaveK's review and there is indeed a very notable difference in quality.  But a little credit is due to the Jack Pyke, it's a functional and reasonably well put together MT, it's just nowhere near as nice as the original Crunch.

I also take your point about the Crunch.  IMO it's not a stand-alone MT, but does fill in some gaps that a more run-of-the-mill MT might not have.  Vice grips obviously but also the full sized bit driver.  I've actually had the Pyke in my bag for the last week or so, but have yet to actually find myself needing to use it.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 08:33:18 PM
Vice grips obviously but also the full sized bit driver.  I've actually had the Pyke in my bag for the last week or so, but have yet to actually find myself needing to use it.
You can always break a water faucet.. :pok: By accident of course..  :angel:  :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: November 07, 2011, 08:36:22 PM
Vice grips obviously but also the full sized bit driver.  I've actually had the Pyke in my bag for the last week or so, but have yet to actually find myself needing to use it.
You can always break a water faucet.. :pok: By accident of course..  :angel:  :D
I find that I have plenty of things (that other folks have broken) to fix, without adding to my work list myself. :twak:  :D

Did you, perhaps, happen to have ever broken a water tap with a Crunch Allan? :pok: :angel:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: November 07, 2011, 08:39:30 PM
I find that I have plenty of things (that other folks have broken) to fix, without adding to my work list myself. :twak:  :D
Did you, perhaps, happen to have ever broken a water tap with a Crunch Allan? :pok: :angel:
No, but Angel did..  ;) :D :D

crunch helped me replace a broken valve

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

10/10 :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 08:46:29 PM
OK, so I think I've got a pretty good memory for old threads here, able to remember some silly little detail that'll help me track it down for myself or the use of others, but I do have to ask; HOW THE HECK DO YOU REMEMBER THAT ANGEL BROKE A TAP OVER TWO YEARS AGO IN 2009?!  :ahhh

:D

just curious. :shrug:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: November 07, 2011, 08:59:53 PM
OK, so I think I've got a pretty good memory for old threads here, able to remember some silly little detail that'll help me track it down for myself or the use of others, but I do have to ask; HOW THE HECK DO YOU REMEMBER THAT ANGEL BROKE A TAP OVER TWO YEARS AGO IN 2009?!  :ahhh

:D

just curious. :shrug:
I have a good memory about things that interest me, so anything related to household chores just keep slipping my mind (just ask my wife)..  ;) :D 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 09:18:12 PM by AHB »

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #14 on: December 17, 2011, 08:46:52 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just saw this and I liked it.  Unbiased and informative.  I have to say though that I like the small driver on the pst as I wear glasses and it's perfect for the ridiculous flat head screws that the Eyewear industry seems to swear by.  Thanks for the info Gareth!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: December 17, 2011, 10:52:55 AM
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I just saw this and I liked it.  Unbiased and informative.  I have to say though that I like the small driver on the pst as I wear glasses and it's perfect for the ridiculous flat head screws that the Eyewear industry seems to swear by.  Thanks for the info Gareth!

fair point Sean and I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.  For me I much prefer the size of the small screwdriver on the Kick/Fuse etc, a more versatile size IMO. 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 05:43:03 AM

fair point Sean and I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.  For me I much prefer the size of the small screwdriver on the Kick/Fuse etc, a more versatile size IMO.

I love the small driver in the Kick/Fuse line as well, it is the best implement and by far my favorite.  I do use the eyeglass driver in my blast all the time as it is perfect for my glasses.  My PST sits in the truck most of the time, it is my back up. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%