Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best EDC flashlight..

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Best EDC flashlight..
on: January 06, 2008, 01:29:43 AM
When I am on duty I use a Streamlight Stinger.. When I am off duty I have an Inova X5 on me..
B

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Best EDC flashlight..
Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 02:10:39 AM
These are my EDC flashlights. I really like the small size of the P2D. But I like the loooong runtime of the SF E1L and E2L. I like the two output settings of the L1 and it throws crazy good. And the E2D is just cool to look at.

I put the Charge in for size reference. I don't think I'd like to carry anything longer than the E2L.
"

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 02:19:05 AM
Lately on or off duty I've been going for the Victorinox LEDs or the Gerber Infinity Ultra.  The Gerber is always my duty light as I don't really need much throw- most of the time I am checking ID's or looking for dropped items like keys.  The Victorinox is great for dog walking at night because it offers decent throw and a certain amount of spill, plus it's BRIGHT!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 02:29:10 AM
Still love my G2 led and with 12 hrs runtime well that is just icing on the cake.
S

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 02:37:44 AM
Prime, I just got a E2L Outdoorsman. Its a pretty decent light!
B

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 02:49:28 AM
Prime, I just got a E2L Outdoorsman. Its a pretty decent light!
Yea, I like mine. I have a runtime graph from CPF somewhere. It shows 9 hrs on 100% output followed buy 2 more hrs of declining output. It isn't the brightest light I have but I like the long runtime so not having to get lots of cells. I have had and carried mine for awhile now and are still on the original cells.
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:28:23 AM
Another thing I like about the the SF E1L is with the pocket clip you can put it on your cap for a hands free headlamp. I've done this with my E2L as well though it a little long.

"

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 02:38:38 PM
Prime is a Sox fan! All right I knew there was something I liked about ya.
S

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #8 on: January 06, 2008, 02:39:51 PM
Fenix P2D, L1D or L2D for me.
- Terry

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2008, 01:10:58 AM
I've tried the Gerber Infinity Ultra, but switched to the Streamlight Microstream.  I need the throw, which the Ultra did not give me. 

Need to see in those dark crawl spaces before I crawl in.  I need to see if I need to bring my gun along for any wayward skunks or raccoons.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #10 on: January 07, 2008, 01:25:22 AM
How is the Mircostream? Is it that much better than the I.U? I have been meaning to buy one! Could you take a pic of the beam against a wall? BTW, do you carry your Charge in a leather or nylon sheath?
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 07, 2008, 01:28:42 AM
For me; The D-Mini for sheer brightness and throw. It's small enough to carry comfortably but has the throw to really reach out and light up the night.

Now, I can't pick just one light as "the best" so here's the "flood" part of my EDC flash/flood approach. The Zebralight H50 Q5 headlamp/handheld makes any task requiring up close lighting infinitely easier than using a typical flashlight. It's all smooth, wonderful flood.

Ever drop anything in the grass and try to find it with a regular flashlight? Pain in the ass, with this light it's so much easier. Try to read a map? Same deal, it's a good product.

*This post in no way sponsored by Zebralight INC.  :D

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: January 07, 2008, 01:38:11 AM
For me; The D-Mini for sheer brightness and throw. It's small enough to carry comfortably but has the throw to really reach out and light up the night.

I also EDC a D-mini.  I freaking love LED throwers :D
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

us Offline Viking

Reply #13 on: January 07, 2008, 01:48:21 AM
How is the Mircostream? Is it that much better than the I.U? I have been meaning to buy one! Could you take a pic of the beam against a wall? BTW, do you carry your Charge in a leather or nylon sheath?

To me, there's no comparison between the two.  I'll see if I can steal the camera away from my wife and take some pics. 

I do carry the microstream in my nylon Charge case, in one of the side pockets.  First, I just slid the pocket clip of the microstream on the webbing, but lately I've been putting in into the side pocket, for when I'm crawling around on my belly.  One benefit of being an electrical contractor, is that I can get into a lot of places that are off limits to the public and rarely every seen.  The secret rooms of the US Postal Service for one. :D

us Offline Splat

Reply #14 on: January 07, 2008, 02:00:48 AM
My EDC torch residing on my carabiner is the Fenix LOD Q4. While it may not have the celebrity of a Surefire it does the job for me.
Splat

Offline Burkc

Reply #15 on: January 07, 2008, 03:37:02 AM
Just scored a nice Streamlight Scorpion at Bass Pro and so far I LOVE IT! this thing is BRIGHT. 114 lumens on the box and I believe it. You could definitely disorient an attacker with this thing. Now I want to find a mount for my 9mm. I love the rubberized handle. The only drawback is that the head is round (not anti-roll).

Best part was it was only $30

# Xenon gas bulb, designed to last through 5 sets of batteries (spare bulb included)
# Up to 7,900 peak beam candlepower (114 lumens)
# Adjustable spot-to-flood focus
# 1 hr. continuous run time
# 4.9" long
# 4.7 oz. with batteries
# Two 3 volt lithium batteries with a storage life of up to 10 years (included)
# Machined aluminum covered by a rubber-armored sleeve for a sure grip
# O-ring sealed for moisture protection

* scorpion_enlarged.jpg (Filesize: 17.69 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #16 on: January 07, 2008, 06:10:39 AM
Good choice on the Zebralight!  Great floodlight in a nice little package.
- Terry

Offline TWBryan

Reply #17 on: January 07, 2008, 08:03:07 PM
My edc for a couple years now is an Inova X5, I just ordered some so-leds from county.com to check out,maybe for use as a keychain knife..

TWBryan
T

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 08:09:31 PM
I forgot to mention...  I always have an ARC AAA-P (Snow) on my person.

I the ARC is the one of those lights I know I can always rely on.  It's extremely durable and simple with no switch and only one point of water entry, uses a common battery and has a great mix of brightness and runtime.

The only other light I have that is as trustworthy is a CMG Infinity Ultra.
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 08:16:08 PM
I EDC my Q5 P1D CE, although recently I have been tempted by the Streamlight Sidewinder (bloody expensive over here though  ::))
I'm back!!

us Offline Viking

Reply #20 on: January 08, 2008, 01:46:33 AM

Sorry it took so long, but here are the pics:

Micro on the left - Gerber on the right

Gerber Ultra

Micro

As a note, the Micro is an AAA battery flashlight and the Gerber is an AA battery flashlight.  Both had brand new batteries in them.

Hope this helps!

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #21 on: January 08, 2008, 01:59:36 AM
Thanks, I think I will buy one soon...
B

Offline Carthas

Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 11:37:52 AM
I carry a Stramlight Stylus. It's definately not the brightest light, and it uses "AAAA" Batteries, but it's small enough to be passed off as a pen, and it's batteries last for ages. Am getting a Styus Pro (2 x AAA version of the microstream) as a potential replacement.

us Offline Viking

Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 02:41:43 PM
I've got the Stylus too.  It's a great little flashlight for poking into machines and stuff.  I carry it in my electrical pouch.  You're right, the battery lasts forever, I think I've had mine for 6 years and it's still working.

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 04:35:12 PM
I like the P3D as a bag light (especially with the tactical body) and the P2D in the pocket - not the smallest light around, but it packs a wallop :D I also keep a Mini Mag handy as a 'lender' :D
C

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 05:16:09 PM
I've got the Stylus too.  It's a great little flashlight for poking into machines and stuff.  I carry it in my electrical pouch.  You're right, the battery lasts forever, I think I've had mine for 6 years and it's still working.

There is a really quick, really easy 0.49$ mod to that light that almost doubles the brightness but keeps the long runtime the same. I'll find the short explanation when I get home from work and post it for the fellow Stylus users.

us Offline Viking

Reply #26 on: January 08, 2008, 05:55:10 PM

There is a really quick, really easy 0.49$ mod to that light that almost doubles the brightness but keeps the long runtime the same. I'll find the short explanation when I get home from work and post it for the fellow Stylus users.

That would be great!!! 

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 08, 2008, 08:54:44 PM
I don't have any pictures of the mod since I lost the original Stylus LED, thus no comparison pictures.

Remove the tailcap and batteries, set aside. The 5mm LED is held in place by friction. Bang the LED on a softer surface a few times until it drops far enough inside the light to push out with a long screwdriver.

Once removed you will see the little LED holder and the 5mm LED as well as a resister soldered to the bond wires. Remove the LED/resistor assembly and set it aside, making sure to note the orientation of the bond wires.

Now you are ready to open up your dealextreme keychain light. Unscrew the four screws and remove the LED, taking care with the longer bond wires. Note the orientation of the original Stylus LED and trim the DX Keychain LED bond wires to the same length. Insert the new LED into the carrier, bend the wires appropriately and use the long screwdriver to jam it down into the bezel of the Stylus.

Insert batteries, replace tailcap and you are all set! The Stylus is now significantly brighter and whiter than stock. The DX LED is overdriven but should last several hundred hours before dimming sets in, once the LED dims to low for your liking merely replace it with another.

Keychain lights are here: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1100

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: January 08, 2008, 11:56:30 PM

Your runtime will be shorter if you don't include the resistor.  More current will be supplied to the dealextreme LED if the circuit resistance is not the same.
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD