Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The sub-$20 Infinitely variable flashlight

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: The sub-$20 Infinitely variable flashlight
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2011, 04:47:29 AM
I was just reading the thread on this mod on budgetlight and thinking I should get one to mod. I've had two tank007 703s for over a year now and am happy with their build. I know a lot people used li-ion cells in them with no problem so I to wonder why yours blew out.

Sent via Tapatalk, sorry for the spelling.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #31 on: March 21, 2011, 08:56:57 AM
Well, apparently this light was just having a sulk because it's decided to start working again, sort of.  Still good and bright on 14500s and NiZNs, but only mediocre on NiMHs.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #32 on: April 01, 2011, 11:16:31 PM
Well, based on this thread, I decided to get a Tank007.  Some of the body is a bit spotty (looks like tiny dimples/dents in some of the aluminum), but the finish work is good.  I was also able to take it apart, will try putting a neutral XP-G in there.

It works quite well with the QTC.  I have been using some Peak lights with QTC so far, and find this one works a bit more smoothly because of the thread pitch, and brass heatsink (allows for smooth action), and good knurling.

I am finding the QTC gets damaged very quickly in this application though.  Will have to experiment.  My first piece got torn up in the head.  The second piece is getting beaten up in the tail.  I hope I can get it to work long term, tis a nice, inexpensive way to get an variable light.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #33 on: April 01, 2011, 11:31:33 PM
What is tearing the QTC in the tail?  Is the battery rotating?

I've been amazed how well the pills hold up in the tail of an Eiger.
- Terry

ca Offline gunga

Reply #34 on: April 02, 2011, 02:19:18 AM
It must be.  The QTC in my Eiger has lasted a lot of cycles.  I put in a post it note to reduce rotation. 

The negative contact is a slot screw, I think maybe that is grinding up the QTC a bit.

The one in the head got chewed up fast, I'll see how long the tail one lasts and adjust appropriately.  I think the Peak circuit gives a better low mode, but have not tested this one extensively yet.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #35 on: April 02, 2011, 04:14:27 PM
Yeah, the Eiger circuit with QTC will go almost too low, IMO.  I find myself having to look at the emitter end to be sure it's off before I slip it back into my pocket.  I think the pills sometimes take a while to expand or "spring" back to shape too, because occasionally I will check the light later and realize it's just turned itself back on.
- Terry

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 07:16:09 PM
Mike, with the Tank007 and QTC once the flashlight turns on you can actually turn it lower by backing off the pressure a bit.  The circuit in the E07 seems to have a bit of initial resistance that needs to be overcome.

I've also found that the best way to keep the QTC from being torn up is use whatever end of the flashlight that doesn't have it as the on/off switch.  Since the E07 has twisties in both the head and tail, I found found that putting the QTC in the polarity protection cavity in the head, putting a small amount of craft foam (with a hole cut in it) in the tail section to keep everything in place and using the tail switch to turn it on worked the best.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 07:23:02 PM by jekostas »

ca Offline gunga

Reply #37 on: April 02, 2011, 08:46:34 PM
Thanks buddy. Why do you put the foam in the tail?  Btw, I modded mine, so have some insight on the led overheating. Will post details later.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: April 02, 2011, 09:49:25 PM
Thanks buddy. Why do you put the foam in the tail?  Btw, I modded mine, so have some insight on the led overheating. Will post details later.

Putting the foam in the tail prevents the battery rattle and keeps the positive terminal in contact with the head, so the QTC doesn't get shifted out of place.

ca Offline gunga

Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 11:59:46 PM
I put the qtc in the tail because I use the head switch. It still gets chewed up by the tail. I think perhaps I need to sand the slot a bit?  I prefer it in the tail.  I do have a sticky foam ring in the head for battery rattle. Tried to put it in the tail but the hole is too small. What kind of craft foam are you using?  Closed cell or open? I think I need to get some.

Okay,when disassembling the head, I noticed the circuit and led are mounted on a separate brass unit inside the main brass section. It's pretty cool, but makes for poor heat conduction. I put some thermal compound in between the 2 pills for better heat conduction.

The other thing I noticed is that there was no heatsink compound between the head and the led. This is an issue because it can't be fixed unless you desolder the led, add compound and solder it back. There is a bit of thin clear glue , but not thermal epoxy. I can see these failing if driven hard for too long.

In any case, the design is quite interesting. I have a neutral xpg in mine, so it's a lot warmer and floodier now. You do lose a lot of throw, so keep that in mind.

Overall, a pretty cool light when it has qtc. I just have to get it so it doesn't chew up my qtc!

ca Offline gunga

Reply #40 on: April 04, 2011, 11:46:06 PM
Good tips.  I removed the foam ring from the head, found some nice thin closed cell foam and made a ring for the tail to hold (sorta) the QTC.  Switching action is a bit smoother now.  There is still wear on the QTC from the slot in the negative terminal (brass screw), but it is not dis-integrating like before.  I think it should be okay for a little while at least.  May have to fill in the slot and provide a smooth surface for QTC longevity in the future.

Cool, variable AA light for cheap.  Mods well too.  I have dented a battery experimenting.  Did it to my peaks too.

:ahhh

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #41 on: August 06, 2011, 09:52:49 AM
Well I just got myself some QTC and a E07 and now have a "sub-$20 Infinitely variable flashlight". :D  For the moment I've just got the QTC in the head and am using the tail to turn on/adjust.  This is mostly because I can't got the tail off to put the QTC in there :-[ am I just being thick?
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: August 06, 2011, 04:55:58 PM
Well I just got myself some QTC and a E07 and now have a "sub-$20 Infinitely variable flashlight". :D  For the moment I've just got the QTC in the head and am using the tail to turn on/adjust.  This is mostly because I can't got the tail off to put the QTC in there :-[ am I just being thick?

No, that screw is a PITA to get out.  My QTC is in the head of my E07 as well (turned out the E07 had a bad contact in the head that was easily remedied).

ca Offline gunga

Reply #43 on: August 07, 2011, 12:21:48 AM
My QTC is in the tail.  I put a home made foam washer in the tail.  Had to remove the screw to sand it smoother.  The screw head tended to cut the QTC to pieces.  I also changed the o-ring in the tail to get more spacing.

You need a long screwdriver to get the  screw out.

Nice infinitely variable light.  Wish I could find a decent clip for it.

I also modded mine with a neutral XP-G.  Nice tint, floody, a bit ringy.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #44 on: August 07, 2011, 11:13:50 AM
Ah, I think I've got it now.  TBH, for the moment at least, I'm going to leave it in the head.  I'm probably just being lazy.  :D

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #45 on: December 12, 2011, 12:41:24 AM
A bit of a necro but I just brainstormed.  :D
I just had an idea. I tried different things over time to diminish the wear of the QTC in this flashlight. Nothing really worked. Now I remembered the AAA to AA battery adapter. I put the QTC between the positive end of the AAA battery and the adapter and closed it. The adapters' pressure keeps the QTC in place but as the positive end of the adapter has a bit of wiggle room it's perfect for compressing the QTC. You loose a bit of runtime compared to the AA but save on QTC.

It goes so low the camera won't pick it up.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #46 on: December 12, 2011, 12:59:23 AM
I like it. :tu:  Where do you get one of those adaptors?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: December 12, 2011, 02:43:53 AM
 :tu:

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #49 on: December 27, 2011, 02:05:47 AM
Is there a reason QTC wouldn't work in a larger torch? a current issue perhaps?
I ask because i am considering making a torch designed from scratch and an infinitely variable output without using conventional electronics would be a real advantage.

I was planning on using a head like the malkoff which doesn't have multiple levels so would seem to be suitable for this feature.

With a new design of torch some beneficial features can be added like isolating the QTC pill between two plates in a sealed unit removing the rotation and/or uneven force which can damage the pills. This would also allow multiple pills to be used so the correct resistance in the system could be fettled to an appropriate level.

Any of this stuff still floating around? i've looked but no luck so far, even maplins is out.

(just finished reading around and one site said that a single pill can pass up to 10A when squeezed which is over 10 times the current draw of the malkoff run off 6v so there shouldn't be a current problem at least.
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: December 27, 2011, 02:12:15 AM
Is there a reason QTC wouldn't work in a larger torch? a current issue perhaps?

Nope, QTC can pass a substantial amount of current.  You can also use multiple pills in a single light if you want.
It's more a matter of finding a way to adequately control the compression of the material.  The E07 is by far the best light I've found to do it with.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #51 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:59 AM
i may well have to get one and see it in action

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #52 on: December 27, 2011, 07:54:49 PM
Just bought a tank007 e07 along with some QTC pills from a teaching suppliers (mindsetsonline.co.uk) so i can join in the fun but i had a thought which might mean i can't use the QTC in the torch i plan to make....

On the Oveready site it says that the Malkoff M61 insert is regulated to give full output until the batteries (2xCR123) are fully drained. Does this mean that when decreasing pressure of the pill, the units regulator will stop the QTC from allowing infinitely variable light levels and just be fully on then suddenly drop to a much lower level suddenly instead of being a linear decrease?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:08:47 PM by Tofty »

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #53 on: December 27, 2011, 08:30:52 PM
One thing to keep in mind is that QTC only works in battery crushers, flashlights without a spring. QTC lets more current through as it is being pressed together and with springs there isn't any additional pressure to the QTC  as it is all absorbed by the spring. There aren't a lot of single mode battery crushers out there and the new Peaks already come with QTC installed.

gb Offline Tofty

Reply #54 on: December 27, 2011, 08:49:53 PM
i was planning on isolating the springs both from the head and mcclicky switch with brass and plastic plates that thread down onto the springs leaving the compression of the batteries against the QTC to be achieved by a very shallow threaded twisty bottom section.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%