Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mil.com 6 pce Billycan set?? UK Boys?

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Mil.com 6 pce Billycan set?? UK Boys?
on: January 26, 2012, 08:49:50 AM
I've been looking at various messkits for a while, my current kit that lives in the car is a soviet spetznav type. Looks like the german/swedish types but has a metal canteen instead of the second shallow pan.

On its own i think its great for travelling as it aluminium, compact and the canteen. Still as my vehicles is a small suzuki 4wd that goes to remote places i have been searching for something that will house my soviet messkit and a lot of dried 'just add water' meals and energy bars etc but still keep the total volume to a minimum. So i can stash it behind the dash so it stays dry and cool.

Enough with the prologue, anyone have any experience with these from the UK?

Mil.Com Billycan 6 piece set

It may be a little overkill for its purpose but it does seem like a nice set up for small group outdoor occasions and impressing female friends with my unexpected outdoor culinary skills  "What? This? Just a little something i had..." "blah blah... "no no... its nothing really" :D
(Did this recently with seafood kebab sticks at beach day with a flat metal oven plate and a single butane gas burner)

The milcom set is inexpensive but postage and exchange rates to australia leave me a little hesitant to buy something that will leave me dissapointed.
I'm not really fussed about new, are they common on ebay? (ATM the only listing i found is approx AU$45 posted)

Also anyone got any leads on a DIRT CHEAP small skeleton stove that plugs into a conventianol butane aerosol can? The one i have at the moment is great but its the size of a small Laptop bag

EDit: (changed picture as previous one wasn't working)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 10:54:14 AM by Santos »
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Mil.com 6 pce Billycan set?? UK Boys?
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:28:39 AM
Speed reading is dangerous.

Here's what happens

I've been looking at various messkits for a while, my current wife that lives in the car is a soviet spetznav type ....

Sorry, no experience with the billy cans OR spetznav wives  :-\

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:55:00 AM
Speed reading is dangerous.

Here's what happens

I've been looking at various messkits for a while, my current wife that lives in the car is a soviet spetznav type ....

Sorry, no experience with the billy cans OR spetznav wives  :-\

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:27:43 PM
sorry mate, not tried them.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Spork, Lord of Lime Jello!

• No Life Club
  • Benner fan club #003
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 01:59:19 AM
Also anyone got any leads on a DIRT CHEAP small skeleton stove that plugs into a conventianol butane aerosol can? The one i have at the moment is great but its the size of a small Laptop bag

Not exactly, but I've recently obtained several adapters to use them on conventional Lindal valve stoves. I like the in-line version better than the tripod adapter. I've tried a few of my stoves and some of them prefer that the canister is standing upright.

Backpack type stoves using the bayonet type butane cans directly are apparently popular in Asia and the Pacific. Like this one - LINK - Possibly you could find one on Australian Ebay?

butane_adapters01.jpg
* butane_adapters01.jpg (Filesize: 30.58 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%