Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Flik?

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Gerber Flik?
Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 11:07:05 PM
I'd of prefered a file too ::), it would make for a more versatile tool.
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #31 on: February 16, 2008, 12:28:06 AM
Great pics EM745.  Thanks for taking the time to show us.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline damota

Reply #32 on: February 16, 2008, 01:06:28 AM
Wow after really looking at the picks closer. I dont like the saw and the tools are well kinda flimsy looking. However I still like the blade! Its about time to have a warncliff blade with substance! However I might just go to the freehand and get a bigger blade.

The Freehand is a lot heavier. There will be nothing 'flimsy' with the steel on the tools. They may be short but once you use the bit adapter on the philips you have a very usable screw driver that can have any bit (rubber holder holds 9) in use one handed.
The good thing about that head design is you hold the upper arm (either one) and give it a flick, the head slides down and the weight of the tools open the other arm into the working position. Stretch your fingers down to get the loose arm and the tool is ready to work. Very fast.
I agree with others that a file would have been better than the saw but I have MP600 with the saw adapter so  any type of dedicated saw I do not really need. Mainly use fine tooth metal saws anyhow any wood cutting I use an electric.

Dave

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: February 16, 2008, 01:10:54 AM
Is this tool made in USA?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: February 16, 2008, 01:17:16 AM
As per Def's post earlier; the tool is made in China but the jaws are made in Taiwan. Interesting set-up, I wonder why they went that route.

OT: The Freehand is a Chinese tool also, right?

My packaging says the Freehand is assembled in the USA, has that changed or have they just changed the packaging recently?

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #35 on: February 16, 2008, 02:09:00 AM
At the Gerber Shot Show booth, the guy told us that the 600's, 400's, and the Diesel were made in the US, with everything else being imported. :(
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #36 on: February 16, 2008, 02:15:01 AM
They most likely just went with the venders that could supply the parts th cheapest, and have it all shipped back to the states for final assembly. 

That is supposed to calm the Patriotic. "Assembled in the USA with foriegn parts"  I guess It is almost as good as "Made in the  USA" 
S

ph Offline edap617

• No Life Club
Reply #37 on: February 16, 2008, 02:18:28 AM
They most likely just went with the venders that could supply the parts th cheapest, and have it all shipped back to the states for final assembly. 

That is supposed to calm the Patriotic. "Assembled in the USA with foriegn parts"  I guess It is almost as good as "Made in the  USA" 

Usually the cheapest parts are not the best. I prefer tools with all parts made in the USA even if there is a substantial cost difference.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #38 on: February 16, 2008, 02:21:31 AM
At the Gerber Shot Show booth, the guy told us that the 600's, 400's, and the Diesel were made in the US, with everything else being imported. :(

So long as the quality is up to par I am indifferent to country manufacture. I would like to know a little bit more about where in the country the tools are made, it ads an air of soul to the tool.

However, if those mushy philips drivers and the fish scaler start popping up again I'm hightailing it to another company.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #39 on: February 16, 2008, 02:22:32 AM
Agreed. I really find it repulsive that these companies are going to that route. It is hard to beat the manufacturing process that can be accomplished now in the states.  
S

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: February 16, 2008, 08:56:32 AM
Agreed. I really find it repulsive that these companies are going to that route. It is hard to beat the manufacturing process that can be accomplished now in the states. 

I'm a sucker for German Engineering

I've seen some nice things come out of Taiwan, but it seems to be a bit of a gamble even within the same box of 12.
The Quality can obviously be achieved, but as has been pointed out before - there is no control, so there is no consistency - I'd hate to cough up $160 on a multi and hope it was the 1 in a dozen that came out tops.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:59:48 AM by Nomad »

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #41 on: February 16, 2008, 01:00:45 PM
I actually have nothign for gear or cutlery from Germany. Not even a car!

It snt political or anythign just never got around to it, plus they charge a fortune forthier swag.
S

Offline damota

Reply #42 on: February 16, 2008, 03:18:15 PM

Usually the cheapest parts are not the best. I prefer tools with all parts made in the USA even if there is a substantial cost difference.

Seeing as Gerber is now owned by Fiskars I wish they used more Sandvik steel.
The majority of tool/knife parts are imported because the US steel makers (and UK steel makers) priced themselves out of the market. If QC is kept up (unlike what is happening with the butterfly tools) there is nothing wrong with imported steel look at ZDP-189
http://www.cutleryscience.com/reviews/blade_materials.html#S_ZDP189
A Japanese steel that has good potentials as a blade steel as good probably better than most S/S before it but at a price equal to its purpose so sales will be limited and knives made with this steel will be carried to a certain extent by knives of poorer quality at a lower price.

Dave

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD