Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Li'l Guppie - little fish in a big pond

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
CRKT Li'l Guppie - little fish in a big pond
on: December 06, 2011, 11:31:48 PM
Often with tools it doesn’t matter how many pictures you see, or reviews you read, you never really get a true perspective of the tool until you get it in your hand. That was definitely the case when I received this little feller earlier today.

After reading reviews I decided CRKT's Li’l Guppie had the better form over its larger sibling for my needs, but expected more in volume than what I received. Here you see it surrounded by a Leatherman Mini and Micra, a Gerber Shard, and a Victorinox Harvester. 

Personally I think it’s unquestionably cute, but with an adjustable wrench, flat driver, Phillips driver, one hand opening blade, bottle opener and carabiner condensed into such a small package – is it any good?

Obviously this is a really lightweight tool, but I think one that could be very useful to some. The 3.5mm flat blade driver is actually smaller than the one on the Micra but seems fairly robust for it’s size. As a small driver or mini pry tool it appears to function well enough as a back up, but is hardly going to be first choice if other tools are available. It’s stumpy nature and the width of the tool does present access issues on many tasks. The tapered section also tends to make it cam out, but I think the driver would be a little too weak without that taper.

The Phillips driver is dwarfed by the 2D version on the Micra and is comparable in size and capability to the one on the 58mm SAK combo tool. It does work though. I rummaged through a drawer and found a really cruddy old remote with recessed screws. The LG just (and I do mean just) managed to reach and undo all the screws except the one hidden in the battery compartment – which by the way was revealed by using the flat driver as a pry to pop the cover off.

The adjustable wrench is floppy. The fit of the moving mandible in the T slot, and the non-existent bushing of the worm wheel do leave something to be desired in the overall fit and finish of the tool – but it does still work. Considering that the jaws are limited to 10mm (3/8”) anyway, it should be fine for nipping up the odd loose nut but might not manage to free the one that’s rusted solid. Here it is being swallowed up by the Mini's pliers.

The OHO non-locking blade was received dull, and the pocket clip does make it a little tricky to get your thumb in for one hand opening, but again – it does it. Although it does feel rather odd to use due to the rather quirky ergonomics it will still handle all your package opening and string cutting requirements just fine.

The bottle opener decapitated a bottle of Fursty Ferret in a single swoop – enough said!

The carabiner isn’t going to allow you to conduct any covert abseiling activities, and unlike big brother doesn’t double up as a bottle opener or serve any other ancillary purpose. That said, I’m rather liking the new suspension clip for my all-stainless gadget ring

All in all I’m very happy with this little feller so far, and I think it’s something that’ll stick with me a while.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 11:37:32 PM by 50ft-trad »

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: CRKT Li'l Guppie - little fish in a big pond
Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 11:44:40 PM
Just had to make sure the bottle opener test wasn't a fluke ...
Bottle of Directors by Courage ... one swipe!  :tu:  :D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 01:35:46 AM
I'm a big fan of both Guppies, but I'd like to address a point you made:

...it should be fine for nipping up the odd loose nut but might not manage to free the one that’s rusted solid.

Even if you could get a decent grip on a rusted nut I doubt you'd have the leverage to do much anyway.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 01:44:54 AM
yeah, I might have understated that point slightly :P

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 01:54:09 AM
It really is small isn't it? :o  Can't say I've ever really been tempted with one as I never liked the looks of the ergo's myself, but I hope you get along with it. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 01:57:28 AM
Thats a neat little review Al.Not sure if I'm tempted,but might make a nice gift... :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 02:20:57 AM
Nice write up Al :salute: Very concise and to the point. I do enjoy your writing style. :)  (great photos too by the way) :tu:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 10:57:10 AM
Thanks guys  :salute:

I can see this stopping in my pocket for a while. It's certainly lightened the pockets by it's use as a suspension clip, and each tool on there is something that complements the gadget ring from quick access bottle opener, to OHO blade and of course the mini wrench. I think of the flat driver more of a lightweight pry due to the back taper but at least it does have a flat driver, and the Wenger Pocket Tool Chest's combo tool has a flat driver tip rather than Vic's Phillips, so the Guppie's Phillips is a bonus too  :tu:

I don't expect to achieve any major feats of engineering wizardry with this tool, but in an urban setting it seems a very useful addition to an EDC loadout. Originally I wanted this mainly for a clipped quick access bottle opener and OHO blade for BBQ duties and other such gatherings, but it looks like it could be of (albeit occasional) use in a much wider setting. My gadget ring seems much more "complete" with this as part of it.  :D

Would a pocket MT or 91mm SAK be more capable? Of course it would, but there's still a role for 58mm SAK's on keys, right?

It's UK legal, pocket friendly, people friendly, wallet friendly (not too pricey), gadgetty enough to get people saying "Oooo, that's neat" and useful enough to not just be a novelty. Time will tell on the durability aspect, but for now at least - it's a winner. As far as multitools go it's a bit lightweight, but as far as suspension clips go - it's a real big hitter!

:cheers:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: December 07, 2011, 01:41:08 PM
They are quite cute!

I have the bigger one and whilst the wrench fells quite flimsy too, it makes a more reasonable case for being a proper multitool. The blade, which is the most likely tool to use on the Guppie is a lot bigger.

I still like my Micra though.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%