Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got Paracord?

Splat · 2375 · 317379

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Re: Got Paracord?
Reply #2280 on: June 25, 2020, 04:34:43 PM
Thanks, it looked that way, just wanted to make sure.

:cheers: :salute:

:D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2281 on: June 26, 2020, 12:40:04 AM
Thanks, it looked that way, just wanted to make sure.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2282 on: June 26, 2020, 12:39:02 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Thanks! I was thinking about having something to give it more weight, maybe a metal nut, the same diameter as the stopper knot. It would be hidden inside the weave.

Have you tried something like that? Does it work?

:think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2283 on: June 26, 2020, 04:58:37 PM
Thanks! I was thinking about having something to give it more weight, maybe a metal nut, the same diameter as the stopper knot. It would be hidden inside the weave.

Have you tried something like that? Does it work?

I've used ball bearings of various sizes for cores, golf balls, and even a pool cue ball, just depends on the cord, the knot and whatever size project you're doing.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2284 on: June 26, 2020, 09:07:33 PM
I've used ball bearings of various sizes for cores, golf balls, and even a pool cue ball, just depends on the cord, the knot and whatever size project you're doing.

I've used a metal ball, from a broken mechanical mouse, in a monkey fist and it worked great. I thought of the nut, to use with this herringbone knot.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2285 on: June 26, 2020, 09:50:15 PM
I've used a metal ball, from a broken mechanical mouse, in a monkey fist and it worked great. I thought of the nut, to use with this herringbone knot.

I'm not sure how the shape of the nut will affect the shape of the herringbone once it's tightened up.  You might need to stick something firm through the nut, that will stick out a bit on either side of the nut, so that it would be of a a similar profile to the lanyard knot that the nut would be replacing as the core.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2286 on: June 27, 2020, 06:22:24 PM
I'm not sure how the shape of the nut will affect the shape of the herringbone once it's tightened up.  You might need to stick something firm through the nut, that will stick out a bit on either side of the nut, so that it would be of a a similar profile to the lanyard knot that the nut would be replacing as the core.

I thought about a nut the size of the initial stopping knot. Passing the loop through the nut, so it sits against the stopping knot, inside the weave. When you tighten the knot, the weave would keep it in place.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2287 on: June 28, 2020, 03:23:37 AM
I thought about a nut the size of the initial stopping knot. Passing the loop through the nut, so it sits against the stopping knot, inside the weave. When you tighten the knot, the weave would keep it in place.

Try it with different size nuts, tie/untie to make sure the finished knot gets the shape and covers the core to your satisfaction.  :)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2288 on: June 28, 2020, 07:28:06 PM
Thanks. I'll try to make one to use as a keyring or lanyard.

:cheers: :cheers:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline n4vgm

Reply #2289 on: June 29, 2020, 05:12:52 PM
No pics as I am at "work" but you can use your imagination! What I have been using paracord for lately is to replace the elastic ear loops on masks with top/bottom ties. the elastic loops just do not fit me right and bother my ears. Wearing glasses likely doesn't help either. I actually sew them on myself. :ahhh

I have found that 15" per side for the top and 13" per side for the bottom work great for me and my wife but YMMV. And for some reason the black cord stays tied while grey or OD seem to slide loose.  :dunno:

And, of course, I melt the ends before sewing and I darken the white center threads with permanent marker so I do not have four dots on the corners of my mask. Some things are just not acceptable with mask fashion!

gb Offline Wspeed

• Just Bananas
Reply #2290 on: June 30, 2020, 02:55:44 PM
Great idea for the mask :like: :tu:
fail to prepare prepare to fail

Offline Scorpion Regent

Reply #2291 on: July 02, 2020, 09:49:00 PM
No pics as I am at "work" but you can use your imagination! What I have been using paracord for lately is to replace the elastic ear loops on masks with top/bottom ties. the elastic loops just do not fit me right and bother my ears. Wearing glasses likely doesn't help either. I actually sew them on myself. :ahhh

I have found that 15" per side for the top and 13" per side for the bottom work great for me and my wife but YMMV. And for some reason the black cord stays tied while grey or OD seem to slide loose.  :dunno:

And, of course, I melt the ends before sewing and I darken the white center threads with permanent marker so I do not have four dots on the corners of my mask. Some things are just not acceptable with mask fashion!

It sounds to me like you need a more reliable knot.  Which one are you using? 

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #2292 on: July 03, 2020, 10:07:08 AM
More dog leash work......woof

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2293 on: July 05, 2020, 05:37:47 PM

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2294 on: July 08, 2020, 02:21:26 AM

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2295 on: July 08, 2020, 11:45:54 AM
That's your new favourite combo? Nice looking lanyards! What knots are those?

:cheers: :tu:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2296 on: July 08, 2020, 11:54:31 AM
That's your new favourite combo? Nice looking lanyards! What knots are those?

Two-strand gaucho knots, finished with a two-strand footrope knot with the SAK and lanyard/diamond knot with the Kershaw Emerson.  I can see enough to manage tying them, lol...  :D

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2297 on: July 08, 2020, 12:13:43 PM
Two-strand gaucho knots, finished with a two-strand footrope knot with the SAK and lanyard/diamond knot with the Kershaw Emerson.  I can see enough to manage tying them, lol...  :D

Those gaucho knots have different sizes, right? Found a tutorial in YouTube, for 2 strand 4 bight. Is it just a question of having more twists when you start, 3 or 4 or more, instead of just the 2? Or do you need an even number?

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2298 on: July 08, 2020, 02:12:07 PM
Those gaucho knots have different sizes, right? Found a tutorial in YouTube, for 2 strand 4 bight. Is it just a question of having more twists when you start, 3 or 4 or more, instead of just the 2? Or do you need an even number?

If this is the one you're following, you can make a longer version by increasing the number of initial wraps around the dowel/mandrel and do the same under/over pattern with the working ends. 

Beyond 3,4,5 wraps it becomes more difficult for me to keep the knot straight and lined up (tying around a Bic pen), so I tend to keep these two-stranded gauchos short.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2299 on: July 08, 2020, 04:38:26 PM
If this is the one you're following, you can make a longer version by increasing the number of initial wraps around the dowel/mandrel and do the same under/over pattern with the working ends. 

Beyond 3,4,5 wraps it becomes more difficult for me to keep the knot straight and lined up (tying around a Bic pen), so I tend to keep these two-stranded gauchos short.

Yup, that's the one! Thanks for the tips! Now I just need to get some paracord and a couple of hours to try these new ones.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2300 on: July 08, 2020, 08:42:54 PM
My first try at a water bottle holder.  It is functional, but didn’t come out as well as I wanted. 

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2301 on: July 08, 2020, 08:58:18 PM
My first try at a water bottle holder.  It is functional, but didn’t come out as well as I wanted. 

(Image removed from quote.)
Not bad, I like it! :tu:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2302 on: July 08, 2020, 09:14:56 PM
Not bad, I like it! :tu:
JR
Thanks.  I think the next one will be better, but I am waiting on the shockcord.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2303 on: July 08, 2020, 11:05:53 PM
Thanks.  I think the next one will be better, but I am waiting on the shockcord.
That’s normally how it works, you get a brain fart after looking at what you did and make something a little better.. and so on.
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2304 on: July 09, 2020, 03:31:08 AM
That’s normally how it works, you get a brain fart after looking at what you did and make something a little better.. and so on.
JR
Yes, it is.  That is the way it has worked with the harness and dog leashes, I’ve made as well.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2305 on: July 09, 2020, 12:21:59 PM
Yes, it is.  That is the way it has worked with the harness and dog leashes, I’ve made as well.

The good thing about paracord is that you can untie it and redo your work, avoiding the mistakes and making a better version of your first try.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2306 on: July 10, 2020, 01:01:17 PM
Essexman - inspired by your work, I had a crack a paracord dog lead (I normally splice them out of old anchor ropes), and whilst it was a success and I'm happy with the end result - the damn thing took me just over an hour.

Do you have a jig set up, or some secret technique to hasten the process?

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #2307 on: July 14, 2020, 02:59:44 PM
Essexman - inspired by your work, I had a crack a paracord dog lead (I normally splice them out of old anchor ropes), and whilst it was a success and I'm happy with the end result - the damn thing took me just over an hour.

Do you have a jig set up, or some secret technique to hasten the process?

Thank you for the kind words. Yes they take far too much time to make! I don't use any jigs for them, when making the main weave of the lead I clip the lead up on a wall and work downwards, but others I know weave on their lap whilst watching TV. The four cord weave doubled up as shown above seems to be one of the quicker weaves. Other 8 cord weaves take much longer. The knots at the start and end don't take too long, practice makes it quicker. I normally make a batch of leads, maybe 4 of 5 in one go which helps with the muscle memory.

us Offline Sos24

Got Paracord?
Reply #2308 on: July 14, 2020, 09:06:28 PM
Leashes definitely take time.  This one is a multifunctional one that I did over the course of a week.  I am one who does them while sitting watching TV in my lap.

This one was my last one, done for a friend a few weeks a go.  I will be starting another one later this week.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2309 on: July 14, 2020, 11:26:46 PM
Thank you for the kind words. Yes they take far too much time to make! I don't use any jigs for them, when making the main weave of the lead I clip the lead up on a wall and work downwards, but others I know weave on their lap whilst watching TV. The four cord weave doubled up as shown above seems to be one of the quicker weaves. Other 8 cord weaves take much longer. The knots at the start and end don't take too long, practice makes it quicker. I normally make a batch of leads, maybe 4 of 5 in one go which helps with the muscle memory.

Ehh, might be a one off then, unless some desperately wants one for a birthday present or something.
"Upcycling" a piece of old cordage costs me far less, and takes about 10 minutes  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%