Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got Paracord?

Splat · 2375 · 317320

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Got Paracord?
Reply #2310 on: July 14, 2020, 11:33:17 PM
Leashes definitely take time.  This one is a multifunctional one that I did over the course of a week.  I am one who does them while sitting watching TV in my lap.

This one was my last one, done for a friend a few weeks a go.  I will be starting another one later this week.
(Image removed from quote.)
Dang that’s a lot of cord! But I must say well worth it!
I just used about 10ft of crappy cord to use since I couldn’t find my string to line up my gears on the trike I’m building, hey I had to make sure everything was straight!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2311 on: July 15, 2020, 02:27:45 AM
Dang that’s a lot of cord! But I must say well worth it!
I just used about 10ft of crappy cord to use since I couldn’t find my string to line up my gears on the trike I’m building, hey I had to make sure everything was straight!
JR

You’re right.  It took about 160ft of cord to do an 9ft leash.  The cobra stitch ones I’ve done use about 130ft.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2312 on: July 15, 2020, 03:20:11 AM
You’re right.  It took about 160ft of cord to do an 9ft leash.  The cobra stitch ones I’ve done use about 130ft.
Wow, I’m tired from just hearing those number, of course that could also be because we just walked 2miles, there was like no gas in the lawnmower, And it really needed to be done so we don’t get ticketed, so I thought maybe if ran the whole thing I could finish? Well i did, and all in under like 10min compared to 25min, yet I checked the tank and it was bare bones!! I think once it wanted to cut out,, but at least I don’t have to worry,.
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2313 on: July 15, 2020, 04:39:50 AM
Wow, I’m tired from just hearing those number, of course that could also be because we just walked 2miles, there was like no gas in the lawnmower, And it really needed to be done so we don’t get ticketed, so I thought maybe if ran the whole thing I could finish? Well i did, and all in under like 10min compared to 25min, yet I checked the tank and it was bare bones!! I think once it wanted to cut out,, but at least I don’t have to worry,.
JR
:rofl:  I understand.  I live in a townhouse so I don’t have much especially in the front so I do it with a weedeater.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2314 on: July 15, 2020, 05:01:22 AM
:rofl:  I understand.  I live in a townhouse so I don’t have much especially in the front so I do it with a weedeater.
I could do the side and front strips that belong to the city on the other side of the sidewalks with the weed eater / weedwacker, I’ve done that since there only like 5ft wide, just sweep side to side, it sucks since we live in a corner house so there’s like 3x as much, now once I actually did the whole front and back yard because the grass isn’t tall it’s these screw weeds that make it look too tall, so I looked crazy walking around sweeping the 20 x 40ft front, this time I let the backyard go since no one can really see it,,
JR

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #2315 on: July 16, 2020, 05:02:41 PM
Yep I used approx. 80 feet of cord for a 5 foot leash. Add the cost of a good quality binner or snap shackle and the time it takes to make, plus postage, you can see why I don't make/sell many as you can buy a leash from the shops for much less.
I try to keep my prices within reason, but I still get people on Instagram trying to knock me down and telling me they can get cheaper on ebay.  :dunno:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2316 on: July 16, 2020, 11:05:05 PM
Yep I used approx. 80 feet of cord for a 5 foot leash. Add the cost of a good quality binner or snap shackle and the time it takes to make, plus postage, you can see why I don't make/sell many as you can buy a leash from the shops for much less.
I try to keep my prices within reason, but I still get people on Instagram trying to knock me down and telling me they can get cheaper on ebay.

There's two parts to this (both I'm sure are obvious to you)
1 - Get a bunch of kids to make them for you, and pay 'em F-all. Then you can compete on price :P
2 - The reason I started making my own was that after a while I deconstructed (or my dogs deconstructed for me) a number of store-bought leashes (brand name ones too!) and although I always knew the cost of materials was pretty low, I was more upset by the construction methods - single rows of light weight stitching (covered by a logo or or something to hide it) or cords held together with ferrules (again, usually hidden by a jacket) instead of properly spliced or other strong binding.
Obviously the market/consumer feedback/warranty complaints has determined that this quality is the "correct" one for profit, but I guess I think I'm special and wanted something better.

The illusion that something in a glossy clampack is quality is up there with diamonds and greeting cards as one of the great retail bullsmurf hoaxes.

I try not to hold people who live differently to me in too much contempt, because it's a useless feeling, but still - if it's easy enough to make (and if you've got two mostly functioning hands, it is) - why play the global consumer market game?

(What you said about people and ebay and similar things I'm sure you are familiar with is why all my hobbies are hobbies and not "side hustles". I properly can't be bothered dealing with people for a $10 jar of honey or dog lead or reclaimed timber furniture, or any of the other hokey crap I do. Keeping it personal, or for family and friends stops me getting bitter and twisted.)

ANYWAY, that was a delightful tirade away from the original topic....How about that paracord eh?

Oh, here's a question! - Given that Paracord isn't as fashionable whereabouts I am - does anyone have any experience with dying it? It'd be (I think?) easier for me to ship a whole reel of the stuff in one colour and try to dye it as needed than get lesser amounts of various colours (and I'm not that interested in over capitalising on full reels of multiple colours)

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #2317 on: July 21, 2020, 10:35:12 AM
There's two parts to this (both I'm sure are obvious to you)
1 - Get a bunch of kids to make them for you, and pay 'em F-all. Then you can compete on price :P
2 - The reason I started making my own was that after a while I deconstructed (or my dogs deconstructed for me) a number of store-bought leashes (brand name ones too!) and although I always knew the cost of materials was pretty low, I was more upset by the construction methods - single rows of light weight stitching (covered by a logo or or something to hide it) or cords held together with ferrules (again, usually hidden by a jacket) instead of properly spliced or other strong binding.
Obviously the market/consumer feedback/warranty complaints has determined that this quality is the "correct" one for profit, but I guess I think I'm special and wanted something better.

The illusion that something in a glossy clampack is quality is up there with diamonds and greeting cards as one of the great retail bullsmurf hoaxes.

I try not to hold people who live differently to me in too much contempt, because it's a useless feeling, but still - if it's easy enough to make (and if you've got two mostly functioning hands, it is) - why play the global consumer market game?

(What you said about people and ebay and similar things I'm sure you are familiar with is why all my hobbies are hobbies and not "side hustles". I properly can't be bothered dealing with people for a $10 jar of honey or dog lead or reclaimed timber furniture, or any of the other hokey crap I do. Keeping it personal, or for family and friends stops me getting bitter and twisted.)

ANYWAY, that was a delightful tirade away from the original topic....How about that paracord eh?

Oh, here's a question! - Given that Paracord isn't as fashionable whereabouts I am - does anyone have any experience with dying it? It'd be (I think?) easier for me to ship a whole reel of the stuff in one colour and try to dye it as needed than get lesser amounts of various colours (and I'm not that interested in over capitalising on full reels of multiple colours)

Good post!

1)Tried that with my kids, taught them some knots,  but they want paying for the work!

2) Agreed, many shop sold goods are made at a price point, a very low price point. Anything made as a craft ends up looking expensive when compared. But here's the thing, a paracord dog lead will last years. But then again most people don't want that. It's a funny world.

I've got a bit more harsh with people these days when selling bits. I don't try to reason or justify my costs, and I don't let peoples views bother me. I've only had a few negative experiences, most have been very positive.  If someone really wants something they will pay or make a trade. In the UK there are maybe a handful of makers I can find who would make a lead similar, and all cost similar.

I have thought about buying white cord and then colouring/dying it, I'm sure it would work, just not had time.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2318 on: August 09, 2020, 05:03:24 AM
I wanted an absolute cheap hiking staff, one I didn’t care if I scratched or broke so I got an ash rake handle, simple $10, then cut it to size, drilled two holes and wrapped it with paracord to make a simple handle, put Celtic knots on each end, then made a rock sling or shepherds sling for something more comfortable then just a simple loop for around my wrist, not that I’ll use it for rocks but I kinda thought if taking the dog I can use it for slinging tennis balls? Heck the color even matches! Lol.. so if I’m going to use it for this I gotta figure a diff way to attach it rather then drilling a hole and making a knot at the end so I can put a finger loop on it and not have to take it apart and make one every time, but here’s a pic of what I’ve done,,
JR

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2319 on: August 09, 2020, 05:20:08 AM
 :like:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2320 on: August 09, 2020, 11:22:43 PM
Finished the cheap hiking staff, good comfy paracord grip, but with a shepherds sling as a wrist rest instead of some single piece, but rather then just mounting the sling I finished it with the finger loop and a Celtic knot, because I figured why not put it to use while out walking the dog and not have to throw tennis balls, just use this? So now how do I attach it and use it as a wrist rest and make it easy to take on and off? So I put a metal eye on the staff, then a Celtic knot on each side of the sling, then attached a niteize-S so the knots won’t pass through since there too big and every time I want to use it all I have to do is unhook the sling then snap it back on when done,,
JR

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2321 on: August 26, 2020, 09:40:19 AM
We have a lot of hills here when walking with the baby and my wife wanted a sling to have around the wrist so if something happens and we loose our grip on the stroller or babycarrage.

Said and done I did this, it's a single cobra weave done in a figure 8 with a GID buckle (the only ones a had at home in the right size) and the black has reflective stitches in them.

Works just as it should

[It's not failure if you learn something from it]

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #2322 on: August 26, 2020, 12:44:59 PM
That's a good idea, but is that buckle strong enough? Have you thought about a closed figure 8 and using a carabiner, instead of the buckle?

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #2323 on: August 26, 2020, 12:50:19 PM
It's tested and strong enough thought about a closed one at first but this did the trick. I can pull quite hard without it opened and there is not much load with the carrier so there is no worries

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2324 on: August 26, 2020, 01:24:09 PM
It's tested and strong enough thought about a closed one at first but this did the trick. I can pull quite hard without it opened and there is not much load with the carrier so there is no worries

:tu: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Stormdrane

• No Life Club
  • Be Prepared
Reply #2325 on: August 29, 2020, 07:38:02 PM

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2326 on: August 30, 2020, 01:28:11 PM
 :like:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #2327 on: September 05, 2020, 09:02:12 AM
No paracord, but was replacing some bootlaces, and figured one of the old ones would make a serviceable scarf woggle.

* woggle.jpg (Filesize: 29.45 KB)

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #2328 on: September 18, 2020, 10:17:48 AM
Sometimes it's nice to go back to were I started with paracord.

Gutted cobra lanyards.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2329 on: September 30, 2020, 10:17:18 PM
My old smaller key chain sanitizer grenade has pretty much seen it’s days, so I made a new one, a little bigger so don’t have to keep refilling it so many times and easier to do so,, anyway, here’s the new paracord wrapped hand sanitizer grenade,, just have to put a clip on and all done..
JR

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2330 on: October 02, 2020, 05:20:21 PM
Nice.  I've gone back to carrying a hank of cord.  This is a great way to carry both. 
Esse Quam Videri

Offline Jpac

Reply #2331 on: October 17, 2020, 05:37:31 PM

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #2332 on: February 20, 2021, 11:32:22 PM
Some paracord projects i’ve done.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2333 on: February 21, 2021, 01:13:12 AM
Nice Tinner! :tu:
JR

ca Offline Tinner

Reply #2334 on: February 21, 2021, 01:49:29 AM
Thank you!  :cheers:

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2335 on: February 25, 2021, 12:39:47 AM
How’s this, I pulled out all scrap pieces and came up with enough to make this, a set of paracord worry beads..
JR

Offline Jpac

Reply #2336 on: February 28, 2021, 09:36:33 PM

Nice color combination  :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2337 on: March 01, 2021, 03:09:30 PM
Nice paracord work Tinner. 

I like what you did there Mad P. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2338 on: March 01, 2021, 03:35:26 PM
Thanks,, it was just a little something..
JR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2339 on: March 01, 2021, 06:32:29 PM
Thanks,, it was just a little something..
JR

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD