Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Oil

user24 · 47 · 7007

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Oil
on: December 14, 2011, 12:36:24 PM
Hey guys, quick question: What oil do you use for your SAKs? I have a few in need of oiling.

I've seen the term 'mineral oil' bandied about, what brands should I look for, and is it food-safe?

"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Oil
Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 12:38:37 PM
Yes, mineral oil is what you need for a food safe knife :)

I don't think there's a specific brand, just look for a generic - should be reasonably cheap.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 01:34:59 PM
Go to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle.

:tu:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

no Offline North Man

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:31:55 PM
Hi

No doubt the best is the Victorinox mutitool oil, have never had any better, used for years...
Get more tools

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:26:15 PM
I like rusty rags oil.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 09:36:39 PM
Hey guys, quick question: What oil do you use for your SAKs? I have a few in need of oiling.

I've seen the term 'mineral oil' bandied about, what brands should I look for, and is it food-safe?

Just get any standard pharmacy brand.  It'll all be the same.  As for food safe, well, mineral oil is considered a safe laxative for children in moderate-large amounts so unless you're chugging bottles of the stuff at a time you'll be perfectly fine.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 11:02:12 PM
ok thanks, I'll look in my chemist :)
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 03:07:07 AM
WD-40 is mineral oil + mineral spirits.  The latter evaporates quickly, leaving the mineral oil behind as a light lube.  Its not food grade, but it is mineral oil.  Johnson's baby oil also is 100% mineral oil, plus fragrance.

FWIW, the Leatherman website recommends WD-40 on its products.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
  • Naked without my multitool!
Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 04:01:52 AM
WD-40 is mineral oil + mineral spirits.  The latter evaporates quickly, leaving the mineral oil behind as a light lube.  Its not food grade, but it is mineral oil.  Johnson's baby oil also is 100% mineral oil, plus fragrance.

FWIW, the Leatherman website recommends WD-40 on its products.
I always thought that WD40 is a degreaser that removes the lube and dirt, so IT IS ALSO lube. Thanks
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 04:13:45 AM
Mineral oil is the way to go.

Wd-40 is crap. It gums up.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 04:20:50 AM
+1 for mineral oil. I bought a large bottle at a pharmacy for something like $5, and it'll last me for a LONG time to come.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 06:44:27 AM
I like and use mineral oil but wish it was slightly less thick. When I put it on, it seems to splooge around a bit rather than quickly sink in, requiring a bit of wiping off from areas where it will attract dirt. Not a big deal and perhaps that extra viscosity helps it stay in place better :think: When I opened up my well maintained by me Vic Explorer to remove the scissors, I was pleasantly surprised to see a nice thin layer of oil, almost like a washer, around all of the pivot areas :)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 07:02:27 AM
I use the leftover inside bottle from when I do oil change on my car, so far so good.  :D

ca Offline ketchupgun

Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 08:07:07 AM
I've used bike chain oil that i used on my mountain bike (not sure if it's synthetic)..brand's like Pedro's, White Lightning...works for me.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Re: Oil
Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 02:02:16 PM
Mineral oil is the way to go.

Wd-40 is crap. It gums up.

+1

WD40 or water displacer isn't recommended. It just clogs up the moving parts and is a pain to clean afterwards. I use it for cleaning SAKs and multis but wash/wipe it off afterwards and apply mineral oil or fine mechanics oil.

england Offline macabee

Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:08 PM
I use Victorinox own multi tool oil [meets NSF H1 requirements] a food-grade lubricant so if you use your sak to slice any food you wont poison yourself. :drink:
"One SAK is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough"

us Offline powernoodle

Re: Re: Oil
Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 02:47:07 PM
Wd-40 is crap.

WD40 . . . isn't recommended.

Well, the guy who has sold 2,700,000+ multitools recommends it.  :)  http://www.leatherman.com/about/maint

Made from crap?  Not really.  The mineral spirits component (hexane) is a mild solvent which dissolves gunk, and because it is highly volatile it evaporates quickly.  The mineral oil component hangs around as a light lube, which is what you want it to do.  It is aerosolized with C02, and contains a small volume (<2% by weight) of a surfactant. 

If never found it to get gummy after applied, but I also don't leave my toys laying around long enough for the mineral oil to goo-ify either. 

WD-40 has lots of haters.  And thats fine.  But crap it ain't.  Its just an aerolsolized mild solvent and light lube.  :)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 03:27:55 PM
Yes but if he recommended the stuff that doesn't gum up tools he may have only sold 1,987,000 multitools!  :P

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 03:37:05 PM
I use 3 in one for lubricating the pivots and WD40  >:D for soaking and cleaning.

:pok: If you check at hardware shops they sell special lubricants, for not a a lot of money, Designed to be used by the food industry (meat processing factories, burger shops need to lubricate their machines too; how do you think they do it?).
These are certified for safe use around food and are designed not to harm you if you eat them.
Also bear in mind that toxicity is typically measured by seeing how many bacteria (standardised method) can be killed with a substance, so antibacterial soap is considered toxic too, thus even if you use a mildly toxic material to oil your knives, provided you remove it from the blade and use small amounts only on the pivots it is unlikely you will come to harm.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 03:43:39 PM
I use wd-40 t displace moisture out of frozen locks, but I don't use it as lubricant. WD40 tends to gum up, harden, and form a residue.

Mineral oil is cheap, foodsafe, odorless, and works a dream on knives and tools. What more can you ask for?  ;)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 03:56:09 PM by shamus »

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 11:07:34 PM
I don't leave WD40 on long enough to gum-up so I don't know, but it's very good for cleaning as others have mentioned.  I have used it on my car rear door latch and it really worked well, I just left it on there and it's still going strong.  I just think mineral oil is better for the most part, but I have some other stuff with a micro applicator that I use some times if I'm not going to use the knife for food.

Offline Peter

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 10:22:24 PM
I use olive oil on my knifes, and leather.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 11:56:00 PM
I use olive oil on my knifes, and leather.
Wouldn't work for me might try to eat the olive oil soak leather  :D
I now use a generic all purpose oil, when I'm gonna use my multitool blade for food just wipe it first to remove as much oil as possible. After that wash and then re-oil as soon as I can.
Multitools are the best thing that happened to mankind since the invention of the wheel!

Offline Peter

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 12:10:56 AM
Funny you say that. People in the past have had to boil up, and eat leather.

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 12:16:30 AM
Funny you say that. People in the past have had to boil up, and eat leather.
:( Hope that would not be necessary to anyone anymore, unless you like to really eat it.
By the way does olive oil leave residues on your knives?

Offline Peter

Reply #25 on: December 17, 2011, 12:33:31 AM
I don't think it leaves a residue. On a SAK it just stays oil wet till you wipe it. On a sheath knife that lives in leather, the sheath will sort of soak it up over time, i just oil them every so often. Cheers Peter

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: December 17, 2011, 12:41:24 AM
Thanks for the Info :tu:

Offline Peter

Reply #27 on: December 17, 2011, 12:55:28 AM
Duckman if you give it a try on a user. Buy a spray can of olive oil, that way you can get it into the nooks. If you don't like it on your knifes, make garlic bread with it  :tu:.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #28 on: December 17, 2011, 06:00:35 AM
Having lots of olive oil in Cyprus people will sometimes use it for lubricating. However, if it gets hot or exposed to the sun it goes rancid and can also "lock" the object you try to lubricate. If it gets close to freezing (5C) it also thickens and becomes similar to margarine. This happens to pure olive oil, as it comes out of the olive mill. The one you buy in shops may have additives that make it more stable. tip: fresh, day old, olive oil with salt and lemon makes a great dip.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ph Offline duckman1975

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: December 17, 2011, 07:02:09 AM
Having lots of olive oil in Cyprus people will sometimes use it for lubricating. However, if it gets hot or exposed to the sun it goes rancid and can also "lock" the object you try to lubricate. If it gets close to freezing (5C) it also thickens and becomes similar to margarine. This happens to pure olive oil, as it comes out of the olive mill. The one you buy in shops may have additives that make it more stable. tip: fresh, day old, olive oil with salt and lemon makes a great dip.
Duckman if you give it a try on a user. Buy a spray can of olive oil, that way you can get it into the nooks. If you don't like it on your knifes, make garlic bread with it  :tu:.
Thanks maybe I'll try it, I live in the tropic so might not work for me but will also by balsamic vinegar so the worse thing that could happen is around 3 days olive oil, balsamic vinegar soaked bread breakfast :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%