Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Oil

user24 · 47 · 7006

us Offline Vadim

• No Life Club
Re: Oil
Reply #30 on: December 17, 2011, 09:02:17 AM
Mineral Oil!  :tu:

au Offline Vemo

Reply #31 on: December 17, 2011, 10:40:23 AM
If you are after a good light mineral oil go into any good musical instrument store and ask for woodwind key oil. It comes with a needle applicator. Perfect for SAKS!

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk
Ian

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #32 on: December 17, 2011, 10:43:28 AM
If you are after a good light mineral oil go into any good musical instrument store and ask for woodwind key oil. It comes with a needle applicator. Perfect for SAKS!

Sent from my Ideos using Tapatalk

Very interesting tip, thanks :salute:

Offline Peter

Reply #33 on: December 17, 2011, 08:53:24 PM
Having lots of olive oil in Cyprus people will sometimes use it for lubricating. However, if it gets hot or exposed to the sun it goes rancid and can also "lock" the object you try to lubricate. If it gets close to freezing (5C) it also thickens and becomes similar to margarine. This happens to pure olive oil, as it comes out of the olive mill. The one you buy in shops may have additives that make it more stable. tip: fresh, day old, olive oil with salt and lemon makes a great dip.
:oops:Gday DKS you are 100% right about the oil solidifying {2c} it turns back to liquid as it warms up. I have used olive oil in cold weather on fixed blade knifes & hatchets. The leather sheaths would soak the oil up, so i never had a problem with the oil solidifying. Until recently i have not had a folding knife {this will be my first winter with one}. Your post has saved me from one of those WTF moments thankyou. :cheers:Peter

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #34 on: December 29, 2011, 07:30:50 PM
So I asked in Boots, who gave me blank looks and tried to sell me cod liver oil, and a local DIY shop who tried to sell me chainsaw oil.

After some further research I think what I need to ask for is Liquid Paraffin.

That or buy it online I suppose.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 07:58:17 PM
You can try sewing machine oil, which should be available on sewing stores / sections.
Example: http://www.continente.pt/ProductDetailMain.aspx?productId=2352713&CategoryPath=4&CategoryName=&SubCategoryName=&PageIndex=1

be Offline dodge_911

Reply #36 on: December 31, 2011, 12:00:59 AM
So I asked in Boots, who gave me blank looks and tried to sell me cod liver oil, and a local DIY shop who tried to sell me chainsaw oil.
Lol, you forgot to visit the autoshop, they might have recommended some 10W40 ;)

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #37 on: December 31, 2011, 12:27:03 AM
One that rarely comes out on these threads, loved by some, unknown by many, it's Ballistol.
I have used it once in a while on the last 2,5 years, and have mixed feelings about it. A nice aspect however, is that it can be applied to wood AND leather to actually condition it.

Here's a video by cutlerylover using ballistol to lub some knives:

us Offline valvestem125

• You only go this way once.
Reply #38 on: December 31, 2011, 01:27:21 AM
Liquid paraffin is or was the only oil used in the "Aladdin Brand" lamps at one time.  I still have an Aladdin Lamp and can't use it anymore because the lamp fuel (liquid paraffin) is not available anymore around where I live.  These particular lamps are very similar to ordinary kerosene lamps, but use a mantle to create  the light, like a Coleman Lantern.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #39 on: December 31, 2011, 11:22:28 AM
Lol, you forgot to visit the autoshop, they might have recommended some 10W40 ;)

I'm sure they would have suggested it!!
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #40 on: December 31, 2011, 03:00:08 PM

Here's a video by cutlerylover using ballistol to lub some knives:

That video is so anoying at about 4 times the length it needed to be for what was shown, and I don't agree with how he lubricates a slip joint.

I do have Ballistol though I got for some real problem knives.  Have not needed it enough on SAKs to really comment on it, but if I had more carbon steel knives it would certainly be one of the lubricants I'd keep around.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #41 on: December 31, 2011, 04:34:46 PM
That video is so anoying at about 4 times the length it needed to be for what was shown, and I don't agree with how he lubricates a slip joint.

Well, I concede you that. Since youtube lift the 10min restriction, people are pushing longer videos which don't add much.  :ahhh

About ballistol, to be honest, I don't use it on SAKs or other slipjoins nowadays. I use the so called mineral oil, which I have as the victorinox small bottle and the classic stuff used on sewing machines (an old habit coming from my parents). Mainly because it works and the small vic bottle with its needle like dispenser it's so practical!

Ballistol (B from now on) however I like it for a variety of tasks: to remove other oils (ex: clean a SAK with wd40, and then clean the wd40 with B), to get rid of water as B emulsifies with water, and to condition leather and wood. On a buck 110 like knife, for example, B can be used to treat the whole knife because it will protect the wood parts.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #43 on: December 31, 2011, 05:29:44 PM
I bought some mineral oil to replace the little bottle of Vic oil I normally use. It seems the mineral oil I got is about 0 - 5 weight. It is closer to sewing machine oil, which is very thin. The Vic oil seems closer to 40 - 50 weight. The Vic oil is very thick and stays where you put it better. I am back to using the Vic oil.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: December 31, 2011, 08:18:43 PM
Interesting, I have some Vic oil, but I've never used it yet.  I can't give the precise weight of my mineral oil, but it seems pretty thick.  When cleaning I use a lighter oil to flow in there and get the dirt out.  I'll have to pay more attention to my oil, I'm shocked that this thread has grown to be this long given that it's hardly a new topic and SAKs seem to be pretty forgiving ehrn it come to lubricant. 

Using "B" on a knife to also treat wooden scales is kind of new to me, so I'll keep that in mind as well.  I have a lot of cleaning to do in the New Year I'm going try to monitor how the different oils work over the longer term.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #45 on: January 02, 2012, 12:26:50 AM
For those who have IKEAs around, they also sell a mineral, food grade, oil. Which is also good for wood (actually, it is sold to this end).

uk url: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00046786/
pt url: http://www.ikea.com/pt/pt/catalog/products/00046786/

(lol, compare the prices! but that's fair  :pok:)

de Offline trailmaster

Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 08:29:28 PM
I have only lately returned to the forums, but for me both Vic oil and ballistol work. I have a large supply of ballistol and it is cheap and good so I have switched just to it for simplicity.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%