Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The (Great?) Workout Thread.

AHB · 1085 · 57417

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: The (Great?) Workout Thread.
Reply #990 on: December 22, 2019, 11:22:04 AM
Oooh I don't know, I think the deadlift might be the king...  :pok:

that is always debatable. depends on the sport or general athleticism
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #991 on: December 27, 2019, 12:32:57 AM
Struggling for time the last couple of days so just did 100 kettle bell swings split into set when I got the chance.
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #992 on: December 27, 2019, 07:45:35 AM
Great job!!
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #993 on: April 01, 2020, 05:46:36 PM
Let's revive this thread.

:pok: :pok:

Due to the pandemic, most of us have to stay home. even if we could get out, the gyms are closed and we can't train with our usual partners/groups.

I decided to start some kind of daily routine, until I can get back to training with my group. It's working for me, it might give you some ideas.

So...

At home. Using my Casio G-Shock. Set the hour alarm to on. Every time it beeps, I do the following:

Pull ups - as many as I can (right now only 4, working on increasing)
Push ups - 20 (using palms, knuckles, fingertips)
Squats - 20
Roll downs / stretch ups - 20

Sitting at my desk, from time to time:
Shoulder rolls - forward / backwards
Neck rolls - side to side / front to back / round
Arm stretching - palms forward / palms backward

:salute: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #994 on: April 01, 2020, 05:48:21 PM
It helps if you write the sequence you want to do in a piece of paper and have it in front of you.

:D :D

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #995 on: April 01, 2020, 05:55:48 PM
Great idea!  I know there's a bunch of bodyweight and home workout routines coming out on the internet.
Barry

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #996 on: April 01, 2020, 07:19:22 PM
About two weeks ago I was reading the news (we are right next to Italy). I decided to look at what all I need would cost just as a theoretical exercise. It was 1.2k eur. The next day I ordered everything. Now I exercise in my own bunker (basement really...) gym...  :D
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #997 on: April 01, 2020, 07:42:07 PM
 :2tu:
Barry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #998 on: April 01, 2020, 07:49:19 PM
About two weeks ago I was reading the news (we are right next to Italy). I decided to look at what all I need would cost just as a theoretical exercise. It was 1.2k eur. The next day I ordered everything. Now I exercise in my own bunker (basement really...) gym...  :D

You mean you bought 1K worth of exercise machines/accessories? That's some investment! I'm looking for something less expensive and space consuming. Basically, a kind of "convict workout".

Trying to find exercises I can do with just my body weight or something I awlready have around (5l water containers, 1Kg packets of rice or sugar).

I have 2 sets of weights (10Kg each), a fixed bar and springs. More than enough for my needs.

These:

I compensate the lack of weight/resistance with more reps.

8) 8)

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #999 on: April 01, 2020, 07:53:09 PM
:2tu:

You mean you bought 1K worth of exercise machines/accessories? That's some investment! I'm looking for something less expensive and space consuming. Basically, a kind of "convict workout".

Trying to find exercises I can do with just my body weight or something I awlready have around (5l water containers, 1Kg packets of rice or sugar).

I have 2 sets of weights (10Kg each), a fixed bar and springs. More than enough for my needs.

These:

I compensate the lack of weight/resistance with more reps.

8) 8)

No really, this is great if you have the room. And the cost is the same as about 3 years of gym membership. And there is another plus now that I am getting on in years, there are no neurotic and/or narcistic yungsters hoging all the equipement.

So if I keep at it for another three years I break even and the used equipement is still worth something.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 09:00:20 PM by lister »

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1000 on: April 03, 2020, 10:36:32 AM
I have TRX straps and kettlebells at home, and a pull up bar, and a yoga matt, so I'm all good.

Both my yoga teachers have started online teaching via zoom. Bit odd at first, but it works OK.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1001 on: April 03, 2020, 02:55:26 PM
Online instruction takes some getting used to, but I'm glad it's there :D
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1002 on: April 03, 2020, 03:47:17 PM
I had to change up my workout routine as well. I am trying a lot more stuff lately. There are tons of youtube videos with ideas, just make sure the people know what they are doing, and giving proper instructions. You don’t wanna get hurt doing an exercise wrong.

Yesterday I did a Pilates inspired workout with two 10pound weights. I am kinda sore today, guess it worked  :D

Today I will go through my martial arts techniques. Since all classes are canceled, I gotta do them without a partner. Kinda weird, but what can you do  :dunno:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1003 on: April 08, 2020, 12:56:46 PM
Online instruction takes some getting used to, but I'm glad it's there :D

Sure does, so it turns out zoom is two way, both my yoga teachers come out of pose and swipe through the pupils to check every on us now and then!

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1004 on: May 06, 2020, 01:47:14 PM
How we all doing with the home workouts?

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #1005 on: May 06, 2020, 02:02:36 PM
I am doing well. I bought myself additional pairs of following weights: 5kg, 2.5kg and 1.25kg. After two weeks of waiting I received my ceiling pull up bar (they were sold out in internet stores in Slovenia, on amazon UK and DE...  :facepalm:). Now all I need is two rubber mats for bumper weights (another 60 eur) and my home gym is complete (I had dumbells from before). And by complete I mean I no longer have to make any compromises. Not bad for what all together amounts to 1.5k eur of equipment. That is a price range of any kind of sport bicycle and it should last quite a while longer.

So the purchases I made were basically rational... right?  :think:

:rofl:

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1006 on: May 06, 2020, 02:03:01 PM
Going OK! Not quite as frequent as I would like though.

How about you?

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1007 on: May 06, 2020, 03:14:36 PM
 :iagree:
Barry

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #1008 on: May 06, 2020, 03:20:45 PM
Ok here too. I never liked working out at home, but have gotten used to it. It certainly helped me with the variety of my workouts  :tu:

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1009 on: May 06, 2020, 03:40:26 PM
Sounds like people are getting used to home workouts more.

I got a new kettlebell last weekend! Near killed the UPS guy :D 32kg

In the main it's been kettlebells and yoga.

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1010 on: May 06, 2020, 10:04:48 PM
I was working out from home anyway. Many years ago I bought some weights off a friend (with a bar and dumbell bars) and had never used them until a year or so ago when I retrieved them from my Mum's garage. It has saved me money rather than pay gym membership, plus I can work out whenever I want (certain times eg after 5pm were far too busy at the gym) and not need to leave the house. I just need to add some 10kg weights (and eventually some 20kgs) and some sort of rack to keep them tidy. I never liked the chunky metal collars that came with them so I replaced them with spring ones.

I have two routines: One day I do chest, back, shoulders and arms, the other I do abs, glutes, and legs. There's no set weekly schedule but I also go for a 5-6km run so the plan is to do the leg workout the day after that as it isn't fun to run in the day or two after leg workout. So Upper - Run - Lower - Rest day/short walk works best. The problem is the extra rest days that sneak in between!

I was doing yoga as well
Show content
(with a sexy Swedish instructor :dd:)
but I haven't joined her lockdown Zoom sessions.

hr Offline styx

Reply #1011 on: May 07, 2020, 09:08:32 AM
Sounds like people are getting used to home workouts more.

I got a new kettlebell last weekend! Near killed the UPS guy :D 32kg

In the main it's been kettlebells and yoga.

that would have been interesting to see. we got a 24kg kettlebell and when the delivery guy called he specifically asked my fiance to bring along someone who won't be folded up because he had trouble lifting the package

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

gb Offline Billy Ruffian

Reply #1012 on: May 07, 2020, 10:51:03 AM
Can I join in?

I am a gym guy through and through, there is one at my work, free and for employees only, so it is very convenient and I am in there most days. Until all this...

My problem is that my house is really small, and specifically we have no storage space. I mean, there isn’t room to put all our regular stuff, so home gym equipment is impractical as there is just nowhere to put it. Also I hate road-running. It is very built-up around here and it is stop/start all the time while waiting to cross busy roads.

I have now adapted and am into a routine. I have figured out a running route along the river that is in a straight line and mostly avoids having to cross roads, this works out as 8 miles, I am doing this 3x a week. It is mostly all good, apart from Monday this week when I trod on a big wooden splinter that went straight through the rubber sole of my trainer and into my foot... :o turns out it was a smashed-up wooden truck pallet on the path that must’ve been run over by a van or something.

No weights as mentioned so on the days between running I am doing just body weight exercises, I miss the pull-up bar at the gym and I miss the dumb bells for “grip gauntlet” exercises, but I am getting by with dips (off my couch), push-ups (various kinds), planking and a few martial arts drills. Not great but it is helping a bit.

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1013 on: May 07, 2020, 11:28:55 AM
that would have been interesting to see. we got a 24kg kettlebell and when the delivery guy called he specifically asked my fiance to bring along someone who won't be folded up because he had trouble lifting the package

My wife was upstairs and could hear the van pull up, followed by swearing as the guy picked the box up. Bad form really, it was a two man van, and they have a trolley for heavy stuff. Second guy rang the door bell whilst first guy stood there struggling to stay upright. I told him to leave it on the floor. :ahhh

nz Offline Syncop8r

Reply #1014 on: May 07, 2020, 12:45:00 PM
Can I join in?
No. Sure.

Also I hate road-running. It is very built-up around here and it is stop/start all the time while waiting to cross busy roads.

I have now adapted and am into a routine. I have figured out a running route along the river that is in a straight line and mostly avoids having to cross roads, this works out as 8 miles, I am doing this 3x a week.
That's a good effort - I wish I could motivate myself to run that often. In the past I found entering into half or full marathons with a friend helped with that.

When I lived in the city I made up routes that went through parks as often as possible for nicer scenery and to cut down on the driveways and road crossing.

No weights as mentioned so on the days between running I am doing just body weight exercises, I miss the pull-up bar at the gym and I miss the dumb bells for “grip gauntlet” exercises, but I am getting by with dips (off my couch), push-ups (various kinds), planking and a few martial arts drills. Not great but it is helping a bit.
AthleanX has put up some really good home workout videos on YouTube recently including bodyweight ones.  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #1015 on: May 07, 2020, 05:30:53 PM
Great to hear y'all staying with the W/Os.  I enjoy working out at home.  Anyone remember Herschel Walker?  Now DNA aside, he used his body weight for the most part from what I recall.  I like to do a variety to keep in shape no one static work out.       
Esse Quam Videri

hr Offline styx

Reply #1016 on: May 09, 2020, 08:08:47 PM
My wife was upstairs and could hear the van pull up, followed by swearing as the guy picked the box up. Bad form really, it was a two man van, and they have a trolley for heavy stuff. Second guy rang the door bell whilst first guy stood there struggling to stay upright. I told him to leave it on the floor. :ahhh

i'm surprised that a lot of delivery man pick stuff up with rather poor form. their job is already rough on the back

gb Offline Essexman

• No Life Club
Reply #1017 on: May 12, 2020, 04:21:38 PM
i'm surprised that a lot of delivery man pick stuff up with rather poor form. their job is already rough on the back

I guess he didn't expect such a small box to be 32kg.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #1018 on: May 13, 2020, 06:00:00 PM
Well the Mrs weighed in this morning and this is what she posted on Facebook, I’m so proud of her!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1019 on: May 13, 2020, 07:14:38 PM
Well the Mrs weighed in this morning and this is what she posted on Facebook, I’m so proud of her!
JR

Respect!

:hatsoff: :tu:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD