Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3061 · 245494

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #2430 on: November 08, 2019, 05:25:05 PM
:cheers:

I’ve been thinking about getting the 18350 tube for my FW3A. What battery do you run in yours? The stainless bezel looks great by the way.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2431 on: November 08, 2019, 07:58:31 PM
JetBeam RRT-01 arrived.
(Image removed from quote.)

Nice choice.  I like mine and think it is a nice quality light.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2432 on: November 08, 2019, 10:14:15 PM
Nice choice.  I like mine and think it is a nice quality light.

I heard the moonlight was incredibly low on these?

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2433 on: November 08, 2019, 10:53:16 PM

Yes it is.  The brightness range is one of the things that makes it so nice.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 11:33:21 PM by Sos24 »

us Offline spudley112

• Did you know Uranus has 22 moons?!?
Reply #2434 on: November 08, 2019, 11:12:57 PM

One of the things I really like about my Thrunite T1 is that moonlight mode that allows me to navigate or read, yet can sustain that light for 14 days!

I need to take a bunch of pics. I have been adding a lot of lights lately.
Rather mundane quote entered here to approximate humor.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2435 on: November 08, 2019, 11:47:14 PM

L to R

Astrolux FT03, Convoy C8+, Sofirn SP31 V 2.0, Thrunite T1, Notecore TUP, Sofirn SP10, Olight I3T, Maratac AAA, Olight I3E, Rovyvon A2, Olight I1R

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2436 on: November 08, 2019, 11:50:47 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

L to R

Astrolux FT03, Convoy C8+, Sofirn SP31 V 2.0, Thrunite T1, Notecore TUP, Sofirn SP10, Olight I3T, Maratac AAA, Olight I3E, Rovyvon A2, Olight I1R

That’s quiet a mass of lights. Are you on reddit?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2437 on: November 09, 2019, 12:22:10 AM
No. I frequent budgetlightforum.com a lot. I have always had an affinity for lights, but wanted to work on getting some very solid lights in different sizes and configurations. With this setup, I have a healthy supply of throwers, EDC lights and compact backup lights.

The UI that some of the lights provide is perfect. If I need to really throw a lot of light, I can...but on low mode I have enough light to last me for days. The two I am prone to carry most often is my beloved Thrunite T1 and the Sofirn SP31. I usually also carry my Olight I1R on a ball chain around my neck when outdoors.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2438 on: November 09, 2019, 12:38:10 AM
No. I frequent budgetlightforum.com a lot. I have always had an affinity for lights, but wanted to work on getting some very solid lights in different sizes and configurations. With this setup, I have a healthy supply of throwers, EDC lights and compact backup lights.

The UI that some of the lights provide is perfect. If I need to really throw a lot of light, I can...but on low mode I have enough light to last me for days. The two I am prone to carry most often is my beloved Thrunite T1 and the Sofirn SP31. I usually also carry my Olight I1R on a ball chain around my neck when outdoors.

That makes sense. I haven’t frequented CLF or BLF for years. I spent a small fortune on lights when I did. Reddit isn’t any better. I’m doomed to spend on lights. I’m in love with Andúril since I received my fw3a. It took a lot of practice, but I got it down. What is your favorite of the ones you bought and why? May I ask?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2439 on: November 09, 2019, 12:58:25 AM
That makes sense. I haven’t frequented CLF or BLF for years. I spent a small fortune on lights when I did. Reddit isn’t any better. I’m doomed to spend on lights. I’m in love with Andúril since I received my fw3a. It took a lot of practice, but I got it down. What is your favorite of the ones you bought and why? May I ask?

I often ask people the same thing. I am always looking for something a little better...a lot like the search for the perfect knife...besides, it's fun.

My favorite is my Thrunite T1 - Small and easy to carry, puts out 1500 lm on turbo and on moonlight I have enough light to move about or read...and it lasts around 2 weeks. And I love the UI. The ramping mode allows me to choose EXACTLY the light level I want. On top of that, it is mini usb rechargeable so I can plug it into my phone charger or my solar panels without having to carry too much extra equipment.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2440 on: November 09, 2019, 01:04:41 AM
After so much buzz..and seeing Matt Smith's video, I really think I need to get the FW3A. It just looks amazing. What are your thoughts so far? I agree, that UI is excellent...but heck, that is what happens when you actually listen to the flashlight community and give them something that fits their needs and wishes. These days, computer companies, car companies and just about everyone else seems to be stuck in the lab trying to figure out what people want...go out and ask!

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2441 on: November 09, 2019, 01:15:08 AM
After so much buzz..and seeing Matt Smith's video, I really think I need to get the FW3A. It just looks amazing. What are your thoughts so far? I agree, that UI is excellent...but heck, that is what happens when you actually listen to the flashlight community and give them something that fits their needs and wishes. These days, computer companies, car companies and just about everyone else seems to be stuck in the lab trying to figure out what people want...go out and ask!

He is my go to for reviews. There was a lot of flak about the fw3a when it came out. I think they have solved the problems found upon initial release. I got mine from illumin.com and it is bug free. I love it. It has pretty much takin over my pocket. I still throw a different light in to mix it up, but I always wish I had the fw3a when it comes down to it. I went with the 219c 4K. I like a really warm light though.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2442 on: November 09, 2019, 01:52:36 AM

I would take a good hard look at the Emisar too before deciding,it is an amazing light as well and very similar.
Or get both as is the way of the nerd!

I have no regrets.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2443 on: November 09, 2019, 01:56:20 AM
I would take a good hard look at the Emisar too before deciding,it is an amazing light as well and very similar.
Or get both as is the way of the nerd!

I have no regrets.

Damn it man...you need to quit enabling.  :D
Next on my list. Which one do you have?

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2444 on: November 09, 2019, 01:59:20 AM
I’ve also thought about the D4S, but I don’t think that’s very pocketable.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2445 on: November 09, 2019, 02:04:52 AM
Damn it man...you need to quit enabling.  :D
Next on my list. Which one do you have?

The Emissar D4 v2 is a nice light and very comparable to the FW3A. 

I admit I went the more expensive route and actually purchased mine through SkyLumen with upgraded throw optics and emitter which make it amazing imho. 
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 02:10:28 AM by Sos24 »

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2446 on: November 09, 2019, 02:11:10 AM
The Emissar D4 v2 is a nice light and very comparable to the FW3A. 

I admit I went the more expensive route and actually purchased mine through SkyLumen with upgraded throw optics which make it amazing imho.

Is the side switch deep enough that it doesn’t come on in your pocket? That’s my only reservation. If it’s deep like a ZL, then I’ll probably pull the trigger.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2447 on: November 09, 2019, 02:20:09 AM
My other fave...the Sofirn SP31 has surprised me a lot too. GREAT throw and it has a two switch system. I thought the tail switch and side switch configuration would be offputting, but I actually love it. The low mode gives me days of light and turbo will really reach out and touch some distance! All in a package that is easy to carry.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2448 on: November 09, 2019, 02:28:52 AM
Is the side switch deep enough that it doesn’t come on in your pocket? That’s my only reservation. If it’s deep like a ZL, then I’ll probably pull the trigger.

The side switch is recessed some and does not stick out, but not as much as some lights I’ve seen. I do not have a Zebralight to compare to.  I have never had an issue but admittedly I have not pocket carried it as much as some others.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2449 on: November 09, 2019, 02:30:30 AM
The side switch is recessed some and does not stick out, but not as much as some lights I’ve seen. I do not have a Zebralight to compare to.  I have never had an issue but admittedly I have not pocket carried it as much as some others.
(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

I see an option for a raised switch retaining ring. Any idea what that means?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2450 on: November 09, 2019, 02:33:59 AM
That switch does look recessed well. Let me tell ya, if that comes on in your pocket, you are gonna feel it quick!

A guy on blf made the comment that I added a lot of lights fast. Yep, I am testing the heck out of them...love having a tool available for whatever job I need done!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2451 on: November 09, 2019, 02:37:46 AM
I see an option for a raised switch retaining ring. Any idea what that means?

No I do not.  Maybe contact the seller, they should be able to answer.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2452 on: November 09, 2019, 02:38:11 AM
The switch looks recessed like a ZL. Mine has never come on in my pocket. I’m just trying to decide if I should go for a SST20 or just go for maximum brightness. Gotta be honest, this will just be a show toy. Any suggestions?

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2453 on: November 09, 2019, 02:47:20 AM
The switch looks recessed like a ZL. Mine has never come on in my pocket. I’m just trying to decide if I should go for a SST20 or just go for maximum brightness. Gotta be honest, this will just be a show toy. Any suggestions?

Floody or throw?

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2454 on: November 09, 2019, 02:51:01 AM
Throw for this one. Looks like it comes with a throw optic. Gonna go with a SST20 6500K. Found out the raised switch puts a round of stainless around the switch. Gonna get it, cause I like not catching fire.

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2455 on: November 09, 2019, 02:59:12 AM
I gotta say, the surprise for me was getting my Convoy C8+. The throw this light has is amazing and it is super portable. It is easy to throw in a jacket pocket or my back pocket when I go out at night on a walk.

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2456 on: November 09, 2019, 02:59:18 AM
They are almost the same size with the Emisar being more steadily round where the F3 dips in a little in the middle but I consider them to carry about the same for me.

I ALWAYS turn them slightly apart to mechanical lockout no matter what and then they will not turn on in pocket ever,no matter what!
Guess why?

It takes less time than the clicky lockout in my book and I do not trust any way but this way to keep the nuts intact!

I have both in 219 and SStT and can not decide which I prefer honestly,they are both perfect for me,really and the SST was the biggest surprise for sure,I love them.

I always wear Carpenter Jeans during the day and the light goes into the left side pocket where the carpenters rule would go while my ZL SC64w is clipped inside my main right pocket where it has turned on by itself maybe twice in the 8 years or so that I have carried Zebralights there every single day!

The secondary emitters in the Emisar need to be experienced to really understand,they are pretty impressive and though I thought it would just be a gimmick it has turned out to be pretty useful for me instead.

They are both great lights and either will make you happy but both......well you know. :dunno:

us Offline ezdog

• No Life Club
Reply #2457 on: November 09, 2019, 03:00:33 AM
I gotta say, the surprise for me was getting my Convoy C8+. The throw this light has is amazing and it is super portable. It is easy to throw in a jacket pocket or my back pocket when I go out at night on a walk.

I agree completely,I am not sure there is another light on the market that good for the price,except maybe the S2+ of course!

us Offline spudley112

Reply #2458 on: November 09, 2019, 03:04:03 AM
Carpenter pants. Uhhh...heck yeah, I need to upgrade my wardrobe. I have gotten to the point where my light is as important to carry as my knife. Carpenter pants would be perfect.

When out in the woods, I like to wear a photographer's vest. The vast amount of pockets lets me carry EVERYTHING I need.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2459 on: November 09, 2019, 03:06:02 AM
They are almost the same size with the Emisar being more steadily round where the F3 dips in a little in the middle but I consider them to carry about the same for me.

I ALWAYS turn them slightly apart to mechanical lockout no matter what and then they will not turn on in pocket ever,no matter what!
Guess why?

It takes less time than the clicky lockout in my book and I do not trust any way but this way to keep the nuts intact!

I have both in 219 and SStT and can not decide which I prefer honestly,they are both perfect for me,really and the SST was the biggest surprise for sure,I love them.

I always wear Carpenter Jeans during the day and the light goes into the left side pocket where the carpenters rule would go while my ZL SC64w is clipped inside my main right pocket where it has turned on by itself maybe twice in the 8 years or so that I have carried Zebralights there every single day!

The secondary emitters in the Emisar need to be experienced to really understand,they are pretty impressive and though I thought it would just be a gimmick it has turned out to be pretty useful for me instead.

They are both great lights and either will make you happy but both......well you know. :dunno:

And now the wait.  :dunno:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD