Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3062 · 248009

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #2850 on: June 23, 2021, 02:38:04 AM
My first, but get the feeling not last RovyVon

(Image removed from quote.)

Eyyy, I will know this feeling in a few hours when I pick mine up from the Amazon locker  :cheers:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2851 on: June 23, 2021, 03:24:34 AM
Eyyy, I will know this feeling in a few hours when I pick mine up from the Amazon locker  :cheers:
Excellent :like:

• No Life Club
Reply #2852 on: June 23, 2021, 06:25:13 AM
Picked up my new Olight Baton 3 with the fancy new charging case, RovyVon AV5x UV oh and a teeny brass peanut lighter so I can reuse a single picture  :whistle:

First impressions (got them an hour ago, so half charged and dawn already) are very VERY positive:

I was so hesistant about the RovyVon form factor and they were always a little too expensive at this point of my financial life to just try out. But an unexpected payment and Prime day sale price remedied that and WOW. The UI is very intuitive for the functionality, it's very bright for the size, the reading nichias are very nice the UV is a neat gimmick and surprisingly the GITD plastic is no slough. That sucker lit up with a glowstick after a brief 3000 lumen charge. The pocket clip is nice quality and can be put at multiple places which is a nice touch. I think this is a great 5th pocket light with solid, valid clippnig to a hat options.

The Olight, man I'm an Olight boy but their pricing going up held me back on some newer stuff. Again Prime day sale came to the rescue and I sucked it up and got the colour I wanted whilst it was available. This is my first time with IMR chemistry and I'm impressed, very impressed. 1200 lumens out of this size a light is huge, the light feels well made and the charging case is actually really cool. Nice matte touch plastic, charges the light and has the functionality to turn it into a lantern like I used my S30R Baton II with the baseplate. Whilst in the case you can use the light, whilst the case is charging it so you can ceiling bounce well and if you close the lid? It turns off the light automatically! The packaing was premium as heck and came with a nice microfibre cloth too.

New light day is always great  :D

Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2853 on: July 16, 2021, 04:31:55 AM
Got a delivery of Maglite's today.  Doesn't seem to be that much love for them, but the collector side and the practical side of me had reason for this order.  40% off didn't hurt either. 

As a bit of a spiderman nut I thought that the LEDs were worthwhile.  Most of the rest of my Maglites are incandescent, so adding LEDs seemed a step forward in many instances.  They're just really cool looking too. 

I also picked up a Maglite Solitaire; Spectrum Series LED Warm White.  I have issues with LEDs washing out numbers on combination locks in fall mornings so the warm white seemed a really good solution.  Not very common up in Canada so I had to order through US website and deliver to a friend Stateside.  The spidey lights were a guilty pleasure.   

maglite.jpg
* maglite.jpg (Filesize: 281.56 KB)

• No Life Club
Reply #2854 on: July 31, 2021, 02:19:04 AM
Got these in this week, and ordered a Marauder 2 on the US store in OD green too... damn sale  :whistle:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2855 on: July 31, 2021, 11:26:22 AM
Wow... nice haul GF   :like:
Thanks for sharing your experiences on the RovyVon.
Too bad I had this month money spent already  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #2856 on: July 31, 2021, 07:10:25 PM
Wow... nice haul GF   :like:
Thanks for sharing your experiences on the RovyVon.
Too bad I had this month money spent already  :facepalm:

If you're in the market for a new torch at some point, the Rovyvon's with the side lights are cracking and so are the Olights, I just wish it was winter so I could get out and properly test them all  :rant:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2857 on: July 31, 2021, 07:12:58 PM
He he, so true. But a good time to buy some  :tu:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2858 on: July 31, 2021, 08:48:44 PM
I've looked at Rovyvon Aurora A series for a while now.  I've seen some of y'all getting them and watch my share of videos.  I do like a AAA light a lot especially when I can use my eneloops.  I wanted a light that I can forget about till needed.  That means sitting dutifully ready to go with features I'd use most.  My likes are Low < 5 lumen, Med < 20-40 lumen, high 400 plus, with strobe feature.  This Aurora A5X ticked all the boxes with low/3 Med/25 High/400 Turbo/650.  The extras are side lights in white ( low and high ), red ( constant on ), and with red flashing.  Oh and its GITD when you use it. 

All micro usb charging.  Compact and good looking IMO.  A little pricy but if it lasts then not too bad.  I passed on the Tiki and other offerings similar over the years but this had me intrigued for a while.  So far its doing what I want. 

I keep it on my wallet lanyard until needed.  I have a Photon X that is on my keychain and has been for a long time 6 years?  No comparison.  Not that they were in competition.  This little lights form factor also sold me. Pocket clip that also can be used for hat use.  I've got a head lamp when needed.  One push of the button and I am at full power.  I do wish it had a lock out.  Double press of button has it programmed to low.  3 presses gets me to side lights.  Long press turns off. 

IMG_2714.jpg
* IMG_2714.jpg (Filesize: 163.06 KB)
IMG_2715.jpg
* IMG_2715.jpg (Filesize: 220.82 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

• No Life Club
Reply #2859 on: July 31, 2021, 10:18:40 PM
I've looked at Rovyvon Aurora A series for a while now.  I've seen some of y'all getting them and watch my share of videos.  I do like a AAA light a lot especially when I can use my eneloops.  I wanted a light that I can forget about till needed.  That means sitting dutifully ready to go with features I'd use most.  My likes are Low < 5 lumen, Med < 20-40 lumen, high 400 plus, with strobe feature.  This Aurora A5X ticked all the boxes with low/3 Med/25 High/400 Turbo/650.  The extras are side lights in white ( low and high ), red ( constant on ), and with red flashing.  Oh and its GITD when you use it. 

All micro usb charging.  Compact and good looking IMO.  A little pricy but if it lasts then not too bad.  I passed on the Tiki and other offerings similar over the years but this had me intrigued for a while.  So far its doing what I want. 

I keep it on my wallet lanyard until needed.  I have a Photon X that is on my keychain and has been for a long time 6 years?  No comparison.  Not that they were in competition.  This little lights form factor also sold me. Pocket clip that also can be used for hat use.  I've got a head lamp when needed.  One push of the button and I am at full power.  I do wish it had a lock out.  Double press of button has it programmed to low.  3 presses gets me to side lights.  Long press turns off. 

Glad you like it! They're cracking little lights, I'm very happy I took the plunge on Prime Day. For what it's worth I've had not accidental activations on mine, and I think the UI makes accidental battery drain fairly difficult. I've used mine on the bill of a cap and it works well for night time walking without street lights, the GitD plastic is very impressive imo.

I've taken to carrying mine on the elastic intended for pens on some of my pocket organisers:

After ten seconds of the built in UV light:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2860 on: August 01, 2021, 12:55:53 AM
Good to hear about the light not unintentionally turning on.  I am not terribly worried about it but I do like a bit of security.  The light is pretty great.  I am happy to finally have pulled the trigger on this one.  Pretty fun to show off too. 
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2861 on: August 05, 2021, 03:12:06 AM
Got these in this week, and ordered a Marauder 2 on the US store in OD green too... damn sale  :whistle:

Very nice.  I've been able to not order from Olight for about six months now.   :twak:  A few nice looking lights, but as many are just different versions of the dozen or so Olights I own, I'm happy not pulling the trigger. 

• No Life Club
Reply #2862 on: August 05, 2021, 03:19:50 AM
Very nice.  I've been able to not order from Olight for about six months now.   :twak:  A few nice looking lights, but as many are just different versions of the dozen or so Olights I own, I'm happy not pulling the trigger.

These were mostly new to me, I absolutely love the pen and bulb, the Warrior Mini is a cracker too! Love playing with them on night walks  :D

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2863 on: August 06, 2021, 06:00:50 PM
These were mostly new to me, I absolutely love the pen and bulb, the Warrior Mini is a cracker too! Love playing with them on night walks  :D

Want to get the Pen for my wife.  Did you get the hook for the bulb?  I got my bulb free from the pocket-turn-on-maybe-debacle.  Couldn't believe how small it was, but very neat as a tent light for camping.  Also haven't even opened my warrior mini  :facepalm:

• No Life Club
Reply #2864 on: August 06, 2021, 07:13:16 PM
Want to get the Pen for my wife.  Did you get the hook for the bulb?  I got my bulb free from the pocket-turn-on-maybe-debacle.  Couldn't believe how small it was, but very neat as a tent light for camping.  Also haven't even opened my warrior mini  :facepalm:

no they were out of hooks unfortunately, I was so amazed by the bulb I was seriously tempted to get more. I've seen posts in the fb group that you can just grab magnetic hooks cheap on Amazon though.

The pen is fantastic I really love it, bright enough when you need it and a decent writer.

I was floored by the Warrior Mini, it's so good and whilst I now understand even less why that debacle happened, because it happened I got it cheap and free accessories  :dunno:

I'd recommend giving it a try, it's a cracker especially for the size  :tu:

There's a new version of the pen that will be out here this month, but tbh I don't really like the look of it. The emitter is built into the clip, which is impressive but scary, and you push the bolt up to turn the light on intead of a dedicated button because it has a laser on top now. It's rubbish at the light module tail standing though because of that change.

I've got the Marauder in OD green, mini Perun (was mostly excited by the pouch mounting system on that), and a free Open going to the states where it will sit teasing me for months probably  :facepalm:

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2865 on: August 07, 2021, 07:41:12 AM
no they were out of hooks unfortunately, I was so amazed by the bulb I was seriously tempted to get more. I've seen posts in the fb group that you can just grab magnetic hooks cheap on Amazon though.

The pen is fantastic I really love it, bright enough when you need it and a decent writer.

I was floored by the Warrior Mini, it's so good and whilst I now understand even less why that debacle happened, because it happened I got it cheap and free accessories  :dunno:

I'd recommend giving it a try, it's a cracker especially for the size  :tu:

There's a new version of the pen that will be out here this month, but tbh I don't really like the look of it. The emitter is built into the clip, which is impressive but scary, and you push the bolt up to turn the light on intead of a dedicated button because it has a laser on top now. It's rubbish at the light module tail standing though because of that change.

I've got the Marauder in OD green, mini Perun (was mostly excited by the pouch mounting system on that), and a free Open going to the states where it will sit teasing me for months probably  :facepalm:

Where are you located?  I'm in Canada and I've ordered previously to the US.  Thankfully I have a friend down there that will accept my orders and bulk them to ship up later.  But mostly I order direct out of Canada now.  Just nothing that has tickled my fancy of late that I don't already have.  Some nicer colors in the U.S. but not enough to make me buy more at this point. 

Don't like the sound of the new pen at all, but will give it a look.  Sort of an indication in my mind that illustrates the Olight model - new model will sell, good product takes a back seat.  I get the financial aspect of it, so fine, but they seem to abandon decent products because they aren't selling enough any longer.  It is what it is. 

• No Life Club
Reply #2866 on: August 07, 2021, 07:59:55 AM
Where are you located?  I'm in Canada and I've ordered previously to the US.  Thankfully I have a friend down there that will accept my orders and bulk them to ship up later.  But mostly I order direct out of Canada now.  Just nothing that has tickled my fancy of late that I don't already have.  Some nicer colors in the U.S. but not enough to make me buy more at this point. 

Don't like the sound of the new pen at all, but will give it a look.  Sort of an indication in my mind that illustrates the Olight model - new model will sell, good product takes a back seat.  I get the financial aspect of it, so fine, but they seem to abandon decent products because they aren't selling enough any longer.  It is what it is.

In the UK, the US summer sale was too tempting I grabbed a limted edition OD green Marauder 2, a Perun Mini, and an Open 2 for around the price it'd cost to get just a Marauder here. I got it shipped to my missus' sister, it'd be a heavy bugger to ship because of the Marauder and we'd like to move to the US first half of next year so hard to justify the cost to lug it back again in like ten months or something (though I certainly want to play with it!).

I really don't like a fair bit about the Open Pro, I can see the attraction of a good quality laser pointer for some folks but I think it was partially driven by criticism of the Open 2. I've seen people call it too thick and the button too easy to turn on... which makes zero sense to me. It's a reasonable pen thickness and you need to meaningfully press the button, if it's getting accidentally turned on in your pocket then a normal clicky would be extended and bleeding into the fabric in its place.

The only thing I actually want at the moment is probably more Obulbs, but that's just because they're on the cheaper end of things and I was taken aback how much I enjoy the one I got in the Warrior Mini bundle. At some point I'd like a brass i3T EOS and just any i5T, but that's way down the list.

I will say I was also very, very happy with the baton 3 'premium' edition, great light and the battery case works better than I would have thought, but that was a Prime Day buy.

• No Life Club
Reply #2867 on: August 17, 2021, 06:02:01 AM
Just got the Lumintop GT Nano in, and oh many is it both adorable and impressive! The amount of throw is insane and the light (for a short time) is up there too, excellent throwing head on it. It's sparked my interest in throwers, I'll probably try and get the 10440 extension tube (and a cell) at some point soon to make it more useable, but I've no idea where to get a UK vendor for that  :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2868 on: August 18, 2021, 07:21:55 PM
Well that's just super cute and dinky. :dd:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #2869 on: August 18, 2021, 07:39:52 PM
It's so cute, and the throw blows me away every time! Hard part is just finding a 10440 tube in the UK now, and then finding a reputable brand of 10440  :think:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #2870 on: August 19, 2021, 05:53:52 AM
I bought an updated 115 lumen version of the Streamlight Protac 1AAA to replace my older 70 lumen one.  I like the form factor and AAA flashlights.

Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

• No Life Club
Reply #2871 on: August 20, 2021, 05:37:06 AM
I bought an updated 115 lumen version of the Streamlight Protac 1AAA to replace my older 70 lumen one.  I like the form factor and AAA flashlights.

Very nice  :tu:

My first 'proper' torch was a Streamlight Nanostream (the original, not the spiffy new one) and it absolutely blew me away! Served me well for a few years until an alkaline cell killed it, I learned my lesson...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2872 on: August 20, 2021, 08:31:01 PM
I have to admit I have never owned a Streamlight.  :-[   
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2873 on: August 20, 2021, 11:49:38 PM
I received my 2nd Olight Seeker 2 flashlight/torch today in the mail.  Also received a traffic wand for it.  When I love a light like this, I tend to buy more than one.  My previous purchases before this were one, then another, Streamlight Stinger 2020.  Those things are awesome too.  But for a smallish light that blazes like the sun, the Seeker 2 is it.

https://www.olightstore.com/seeker-2-black.html

• No Life Club
Reply #2874 on: August 21, 2021, 12:05:21 AM
I have to admit I have never owned a Streamlight.  :-[

Never too late to fix that  :pok:

• No Life Club
Reply #2875 on: August 21, 2021, 12:05:58 AM
I received my 2nd Olight Seeker 2 flashlight/torch today in the mail.  Also received a traffic wand for it.  When I love a light like this, I tend to buy more than one.  My previous purchases before this were one, then another, Streamlight Stinger 2020.  Those things are awesome too.  But for a smallish light that blazes like the sun, the Seeker 2 is it.

Nice! Had my eye on an OD green version during the summer sale, but settled on the Marauder 2 instead  :tu:

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2876 on: August 22, 2021, 05:21:26 AM

:like:

I really like the Seeker 2.  My favorite of the larger Olight's I own.  I have the orange and a blue one as well.  Really like the range of brightness settings on the Seeker 2. 

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2877 on: September 01, 2021, 08:11:20 PM
Made another Olight order during their August sale  :facepalm:

This one had intent though as I wanted to get my wife the OPen Pro as it seemed like a good match for her.  She teaches courses at the local university and one of them is human anatomy.  A pen is always useful but with the addition of the green LED as a pointer plus the flashlight it seemed to be a really cool package.  It's thick for a pen but I've owned some high quality pens that were thicker so I don't think it's a knock.  The LED is very bright and she was already carrying an LED pointer for use in labs.  The flashlight is a bonus.  Overall she's very pleased with it.  Having now held one in my hands and played with it, it's pretty cool but I won't get one for myself because I really don't have any need for that combination of tools.  I will point out the pen comes with a free refill (in addition to the one already in the pen) and I was able to get three more refills for free along with that so she shouldn't run out of ink before the thing is lost or dies.  USB rechargeable btw.  Comes in a little storage case inside the box, so they did a nice job on this one. 

Naturally I bought it in the package with the i5T so I now have a blue version of that.  I really like the i5T and i3T and have them scattered about the house.  It's the epitome of being lazy, but there's one in almost every room now so I don't have to go far to get one.   :rofl:

Also got their new key chain light as the free gift.  The X9R Cell they call it.  It's tiny, weighs almost nothing and having given it a little comparison beside my i1R EOS (it seems these are now called i1R 2 on the website) that resides on my keychain I would contend it's almost useless.  It would provide some tiny amount of light in a pinch and it's a fairly soft light but for someone like me it's a pretty pitiful amount.  I'll stop short of calling it a piece of crap but it's not far off gum-machine level of novelty IMO.  Thank goodness it was free.  The cranky part of me sees it as a significant downgrade on the part of Olight because they used to give away i3R EOS instead and it's actually a useful little emergency light. The i3R EOS is a much better light too, in spite of the head always loosening itself off in a purse (so my wife and daughter tell me) but at least it was useful.  i1R is USB chargeable; i3R is AAA powered.  Both are vastly superior even if their competitors at similar size factor may be better.  I may have to drift by the Facebook site (and I never go to Facebook) just to see the comments. 

• No Life Club
Reply #2878 on: September 01, 2021, 08:35:52 PM
Made another Olight order during their August sale  :facepalm:

This one had intent though as I wanted to get my wife the OPen Pro as it seemed like a good match for her.  She teaches courses at the local university and one of them is human anatomy.  A pen is always useful but with the addition of the green LED as a pointer plus the flashlight it seemed to be a really cool package.  It's thick for a pen but I've owned some high quality pens that were thicker so I don't think it's a knock.  The LED is very bright and she was already carrying an LED pointer for use in labs.  The flashlight is a bonus.  Overall she's very pleased with it.  Having now held one in my hands and played with it, it's pretty cool but I won't get one for myself because I really don't have any need for that combination of tools.  I will point out the pen comes with a free refill (in addition to the one already in the pen) and I was able to get three more refills for free along with that so she shouldn't run out of ink before the thing is lost or dies.  USB rechargeable btw.  Comes in a little storage case inside the box, so they did a nice job on this one. 

Naturally I bought it in the package with the i5T so I now have a blue version of that.  I really like the i5T and i3T and have them scattered about the house.  It's the epitome of being lazy, but there's one in almost every room now so I don't have to go far to get one.   :rofl:

Also got their new key chain light as the free gift.  The X9R Cell they call it.  It's tiny, weighs almost nothing and having given it a little comparison beside my i1R EOS (it seems these are now called i1R 2 on the website) that resides on my keychain I would contend it's almost useless.  It would provide some tiny amount of light in a pinch and it's a fairly soft light but for someone like me it's a pretty pitiful amount.  I'll stop short of calling it a piece of crap but it's not far off gum-machine level of novelty IMO.  Thank goodness it was free.  The cranky part of me sees it as a significant downgrade on the part of Olight because they used to give away i3R EOS instead and it's actually a useful little emergency light. The i3R EOS is a much better light too, in spite of the head always loosening itself off in a purse (so my wife and daughter tell me) but at least it was useful.  i1R is USB chargeable; i3R is AAA powered.  Both are vastly superior even if their competitors at similar size factor may be better.  I may have to drift by the Facebook site (and I never go to Facebook) just to see the comments.

Glad your wife likes the Pro  :tu:

The i1R 2 is the second version, the runtimes and brightness are a little better and the head is now captive. When you unscrew it it just slides up the body to show the charging port rather than completely coming off like the original. The drawback is that it's slightly larger in every dimension than the original.

I like the i3e and t, they run on 10440s pretty well by all accounts too, but that's not endorsed or condoned by Olight, so at your own risk

ca Offline buggs

Reply #2879 on: September 01, 2021, 10:48:03 PM
Glad your wife likes the Pro  :tu:

The i1R 2 is the second version, the runtimes and brightness are a little better and the head is now captive. When you unscrew it it just slides up the body to show the charging port rather than completely coming off like the original. The drawback is that it's slightly larger in every dimension than the original.

I like the i3e and t, they run on 10440s pretty well by all accounts too, but that's not endorsed or condoned by Olight, so at your own risk

Thanks for clarifying the differences in the i1R's, good to know.  I certainly don't need any more of those as they were the regular giveaway for a couple of years, so I have a spectrum of colors of them while the original black I got remains on my keychain.  It's at least three years old I think and still works like the very first day.  Nice the R2 is brighter and if I end up with one for free, great, but I feel I have a lifetime supply of the EOS so no need. 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $98.12
PayPal Fees: $5.09
Net Balance: $93.03
Below Goal: $206.97
Site Currency: USD
31%