Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3061 · 245409

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #2910 on: April 13, 2022, 02:27:52 AM
Two legos that I've managed to put together.

First one was done by Tad's Customs.It's a very old but very cool Surfire KL3 head.I bought two of these 15-18 years ago.One remains NIB while the other was modified by Tad to produce about 1,150 lumens.I placed it onto a 2012 Surefire C2 Centurian body.

The second is another Surfire body,a 2009 6P, with a clicky tailcap,bored to accept 18650 batts and using a head that produces 80,360 and 700 lumens.This has a very tight hot spot with enough spill to identify objects 20 feet to either side of the hotspot at 50 yards.
Very nice.

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #2911 on: April 13, 2022, 03:01:56 AM
Very nice.

Thanks Sherry.

There's something unique about these large,finned heads, that I find very cool.

I have another Surefire E series that I'm working on. This lego is taking a different direction.

This will have a very small head,which is the same diameter as the body.It will have a 3 modes with 1K lumens top end.These bodies are too small to bore,so it will run an 16650,2400mAh L-lion battery and a clickie tailcap.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2912 on: April 13, 2022, 10:01:27 AM
Thanks Sherry.

There's something unique about these large,finned heads, that I find very cool.

I have another Surefire E series that I'm working on. This lego is taking a different direction.

This will have a very small head,which is the same diameter as the body.It will have a 3 modes with 1K lumens top end.These bodies are too small to bore,so it will run an 16650,2400mAh L-lion battery and a clickie tailcap.
That sounds real nice.  I’m always intrigued what knowledgeable people can do with flashlights.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2913 on: April 14, 2022, 09:48:27 PM
It has been a long while since I got a real (non Chinese) new flashlight (torch for the European side of the pond*) and today I took the opportunity to combine my first. ever. visit to a Bass Pro store (for the curious, the one in the Dolphin Mall outside Miami) with the need for filling several gaps: I had forgotten to pack a reduced size flashlight for the trip, and back home all the Maglite 2AAs have succumbed to one of two ailments: either run-out batteries (Duracells) and ensuing refusal to operate, or only the latter without showing probable cause. Anyway, apparently there is an affiliation between Cabela's and Bass Pro, and the store is a ginormous feast for my eyes (if not for those of my wife's, as she elected to wait outside for reasons unknown). They also stocked just about the full complement of Leatherman's offerings, short of the (Mr) Crunch (as expected) and, alas, any specials, so no score there.

I'm looking forward to charging my new acquisition at Hyatt's cost 😉 and trying it out. It is my first real foray into modern rechargeable LED tech lights, barring a cheap Chinese set I bought recently and which so far performs surprisingly well. Stay tuned.

*) Opinions vary

3142022152550.jpg
* 3142022152550.jpg (Filesize: 347.56 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #2914 on: April 14, 2022, 11:49:48 PM
Additional info from the instructions, verified in part:
- 3 brightness modes, ie 2 reduced down from an advertised 1000 lumen (3h endurance) to 500 (4h) and 100 (15h) selectable with the light on (ie after a full press) by pressing the switch halfway, plus a strobe mode which activates by a half press followed by a full press
- tail cap switch and a port (coaxial??) for a USB cable for charging the battery inside the light: the rubber switch cover has a cap extension for the port which however does not fit very well
- additional USB to micro USB cable for charging the battery (Cabela standard 'CTL', Li-ion 18650) outside the light, or another spare (not included but available separately
- also fits two CR123A if you don't have a (working) rechargeable battery handy
- IPX8 water resistance, ie 2 mins submerged.

Feels very solid, no frills.

That concludes my first impression. Price is a bit hefty at $ 49,95 - let's see if it lives up to that. I think I saw that the spare battery came in at $ 16,95.

* 3142022172958.jpg (Filesize: 295.25 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2915 on: April 16, 2022, 04:00:22 PM
Coming from Maglights it is a different world out there.  I still have 2C and 2AA maglights but they're not used.  Once I stepped into the LED offerings from other makers maglight was but a memory.  Have fun playing with your new light.   :tu:     
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2916 on: April 30, 2022, 06:36:50 AM
Acebeam Rider Rx

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #2917 on: April 30, 2022, 06:42:49 AM
Acebeam Rider Rx

(Image removed from quote.)

Nice! How is it? I've been looking at it for a while for that fidget feature.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2918 on: April 30, 2022, 10:37:56 AM
Nice! How is it? I've been looking at it for a while for that fidget feature.
Initial impressions are good.  I bought it because I have a couple other Acebeam lights that have been good quality.  It feels well made.  Brightness and tint/temperature feels on par and nice.  The “fidget” factor is a nice bolt action.  A little stiff at first, but still nice.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2919 on: April 30, 2022, 04:30:32 PM
That light looks really cool.  Looks futuristic.  I don't know much about these light but I'm off to watch a video.  Congrats. 
Esse Quam Videri

de Online matzesu

Reply #2920 on: May 01, 2022, 01:20:51 PM
I just bought me the Olight Baton 3 Premium Edition in Black whit Charging Case
Im quite impressed whit this tiny thing , it’s more the sice of a Keyring Light, but quite bright, works good, and whit the Charging Case, I don’t have to care about the batterie charging Level,  so I could use the highest mode if I would need it:.
Although the Charging Case was more meant to get put In a Backpack or something, its fits In my Pyra Pocket of the Work Pants, so this is also a good point ^^ and if I would have to be more casual, It’s also usable whitout the Charging Case, 500 mah for the Flashlight and 3500 mah for the Case should last a few hours..
Your SAK is only fully yours, when it bites you, or you opend a Trink of your joice whit it
SAKs i have: Huntsman Light (Red Transparent), Workchamp (Black), Wenger EvoGrip S557 (Red), Swisschamp XLT (Red Transparent)..

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2921 on: May 10, 2022, 08:45:13 PM
This one is a bit of custom, but it's basically a Malkoff Devices M91BN drop-in with a MD3 body.

It's not a pocket-able EDC light by any means, but it fills just about every role I need a light for, with many cell options in a "bomb-proof" package.

« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 09:11:13 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2922 on: May 10, 2022, 11:28:25 PM
Looks good Terry.  :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #2923 on: May 11, 2022, 09:58:08 PM
Thanks Gareth!  I've been using various Malkoffs for years, but this one is most versatile.  It runs on many cell combinations, so good not only for day-to-day use, but for SHTF as well with a voltage range of about 3-12 volts. It's built like a tank like all Malkoffs.

2 output levels:

900 (actual) lumens constant on high
~10 lumens or ~40 lumens on low depending on the voltage of your cell combination
- Terry

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #2924 on: May 12, 2022, 02:26:54 AM
Got my Olight refund from the recall. Middle one was free with the baton. Only $8 out of my pocket.

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

• No Life Club
Reply #2925 on: May 12, 2022, 02:44:56 AM
Got my Olight refund from the recall. Middle one was free with the baton. Only $8 out of my pocket. (Image removed from quote.)

All excellent lights  :tu:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #2926 on: May 12, 2022, 04:50:48 PM
Thank you. I have the non pro version as well. Nice little lights. Love that  they are rechargeable.

• No Life Club
Reply #2927 on: May 12, 2022, 05:18:12 PM
Thank you. I have the non pro version as well. Nice little lights. Love that  they are rechargeable.(Image removed from quote.)

I've had the original on my keys since it came out several years ago, with a few different colours of the i1R 2 and the anniversary edition of the pro in aluminium and titanium. Cracking lights, but I do think it's a shame they're trending larger, the Pro is a touch larger than I personally would want in a keychain light.

The rechargeable part is great, I just hope they make a USB C cable that's magnetic like they did with micro, that'd be sweet!

• No Life Club
Reply #2928 on: June 08, 2022, 04:04:40 PM

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2929 on: July 03, 2022, 08:12:11 PM
Nice lumintop!
How good/bad is the small COB LED flashlight ?
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

• No Life Club
Reply #2930 on: July 03, 2022, 10:58:21 PM
Nice lumintop!
How good/bad is the small COB LED flashlight ?

Thanks!

Surprisingly good actually, the clip's just a bit naff. It has both white and red light, and it's bright enough that if you unclipped it to your belt loop you'd be bale to walk down a dark path by its light. I have my eyes on a slightly bigger and better version from Amazon too  :oops:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2931 on: July 04, 2022, 06:50:53 AM
Interesting !

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2932 on: July 06, 2022, 08:35:00 AM
GT Nano. Can’t wait til dark to try it out.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2933 on: July 08, 2022, 06:31:23 PM
GT Nano. Can’t wait til dark to try it out.

Oh, that looks neat!  Any good?

• No Life Club
Reply #2934 on: July 08, 2022, 06:41:22 PM

GT Nano is oodles of fun, throws light an unreasonable distance for the size. Go on Gareth, you know you're intereste :pok:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2935 on: July 08, 2022, 07:12:29 PM
Convoy T4 with  519A in 3500K, set up for grandma use from factory : 2 mode only (this is the 13 group driver, but Simon from Convoy pre-configured it). I also asked for the driver that allows to be used with alkaline, NiMh and Lithium primaries (not 14500) as grandma has no use of rechargeable Li batteries that would fry other appliances  :whistle:

* Convoy_T4.jpg (Filesize: 181.55 KB)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2936 on: July 08, 2022, 07:18:29 PM
Convoy T4 with  519A in 3500K, set up for grandma use from factory : 2 mode only (this is the 13 group driver, but Simon from Convoy pre-configured it). I also asked for the driver that allows to be used with alkaline, NiMh and Lithium primaries (not 14500) as grandma has no use of rechargeable Li batteries that would fry other appliances  :whistle:

A lot to be said for the "Grandma" friendly lights.

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2937 on: July 11, 2022, 03:47:17 AM

It’s not the light I’m gonna use to fix anything under the sink, BUT

It’s the first light I’m gonna use when the sun sets and we’re outdoors and just point at random stuff out there and expect a spotlight to show up like magic!

ph Offline Zephon

Reply #2938 on: July 11, 2022, 03:49:32 AM
SC31 Pro.
Not exactly for pocket carry but definitely for serious work. My first 18650 and Anduril 2 light. And No, beyond battery check and ramp/step mode, I can’t figure out how to properly get into the other options.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2939 on: July 11, 2022, 08:22:09 AM
Welcome aboard :)
(I always look like a retard when I try to set up my very few Anduril flashlights)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD