Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3061 · 245299

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #2970 on: October 04, 2022, 07:16:58 AM
Excellent haul GF, congrats! :like:

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2971 on: October 04, 2022, 07:30:30 AM
:iagree: :like:

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Reply #2972 on: October 04, 2022, 06:01:36 PM
Thanking you both kindly  :hatsoff:
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #2973 on: October 05, 2022, 12:56:57 AM
Nice haul! :tu: Hopefully you'll get used to the button on the Baton quickly.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

• No Life Club
Reply #2974 on: October 05, 2022, 01:08:40 AM
Thanks! it's growing on me already
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2975 on: October 14, 2022, 02:38:58 AM
Nice haul of olights GF

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2976 on: October 20, 2022, 04:25:04 PM

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #2977 on: October 20, 2022, 07:03:05 PM
Been on a flashlight hiatus for a while, but after loosing a couple of headlamps, it was time to do something about it.
Was planning to get Zebralight(s), but availability has been spotty, and the price.. yeah, well. I try to avoid Chinese to a reasonable degree, but this time it didn’t feel reasonable.
If someone has a feeling @MaxLvlEdc could be responsible for putting some weight on the scale here, I can’t really argue against that claim. 

The HS10 has replaced my MIA Olight Nova as general outdoor light. This is by far the category thats sees most use. 1 - 3 hours a day typically.

The HS05 has replaced my MIA Petzl (something) as my work light for home use. I could probably get by using the HS10 for this, but it simplifies logistics to have booth. And the profile fits better with how I prefer to carry my work light.

The Wrukkos I didn’t primarily buy for its merits as a light, but rather to use it as a power bank with a useful trick up its sleeve.
It has replaced my old power bank that typically rides in my EDC backpack, but also comes along for travel and backpacking trips. It’s slimmer, lighter, more rugged, has more carry options  and I can easily replace the battery if it shows signs of  loosing its ghost. To boot, it can serve as a very decent backup light and headlamp.
It has already proven its usefulness as a backup light. One evening I was doing electrical work at my mothers house, my primary backpack work light (Lumintop EDC05C) ran out of juice long before I was ready to flip the breakers back on. It was very convenient to have such a potent light source easy at hand in that situation.

• No Life Club
Reply #2978 on: October 20, 2022, 07:22:34 PM
Been on a flashlight hiatus for a while, but after loosing a couple of headlamps, it was time to do something about it.
Was planning to get Zebralight(s), but availability has been spotty, and the price.. yeah, well. I try to avoid Chinese to a reasonable degree, but this time it didn’t feel reasonable.
If someone has a feeling @MaxLvlEdc could be responsible for putting some weight on the scale here, I can’t really argue against that claim. 
(Image removed from quote.)

The HS10 has replaced my MIA Olight Nova as general outdoor light. This is by far the category thats sees most use. 1 - 3 hours a day typically.

The HS05 has replaced my MIA Petzl (something) as my work light for home use. I could probably get by using the HS10 for this, but it simplifies logistics to have booth. And the profile fits better with how I prefer to carry my work light.

The Wrukkos I didn’t primarily buy for its merits as a light, but rather to use it as a power bank with a useful trick up its sleeve.
It has replaced my old power bank that typically rides in my EDC backpack, but also comes along for travel and backpacking trips. It’s slimmer, lighter, more rugged, has more carry options  and I can easily replace the battery if it shows signs of  loosing its ghost. To boot, it can serve as a very decent backup light and headlamp.
It has already proven its usefulness as a backup light. One evening I was doing electrical work at my mothers house, my primary backpack work light (Lumintop EDC05C) ran out of juice long before I was ready to flip the breakers back on. It was very convenient to have such a potent light source easy at hand in that situation.

Will be very interested in how you get on with it's performance as a powerbank, I can't imagine a light would be any good at that kind of thing but it will be interesting to see the results!

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #2979 on: October 24, 2022, 09:51:24 AM
Will be very interested in how you get on with it's performance as a powerbank, I can't imagine a light would be any good at that kind of thing but it will be interesting to see the results!

I'll try to remember that.
I should say I don't use powerbanks a lot. I don't use my phone for power hungry tasks and I have steady access to chargers throughout the day, most of the time. It's mainly an emergency device/feature, and usually if I have to take out my powerbank, it's for somebody else's emergency.

Now, besides being limited by the capacity of a single 21700 Li-Ion cell, I'm not sure exactly why I shouldn't expect a light to perform well as a powerbank.
The fact that it's a high output light, means they can't cheap out on some of the components that one might be tempted to save some money on in a dedicated powerbank. Now, this equation is obviously not just in favor of the flashlight. The fact that they have a more constrained weight, size and form factor canvas to work with, means that they might not de able to fit the most effective DC-DC converter, and with ample heatsink compared to most powerbanks, that isn't likely to be a problem heat-wise, but may translate to more heat loss and less energy transferred to the target device.
The specs are a bit mushy when it comes to charging speeds, as it doesn't differentiate between input and output, so I suspect it's only valid for input. If it's the same spec either way, I'd be very impressed:
5V/3A, 9V/2A and 12V/1.5A

At this point it's still a guessing game, and with my very basic needs concerning powerbanks, it may take some time for the facts to be revealed. My basic needs are also part of why it makes sense to opt for a dual use device, it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

• No Life Club
Reply #2980 on: October 24, 2022, 10:33:52 PM
I'll try to remember that.
I should say I don't use powerbanks a lot. I don't use my phone for power hungry tasks and I have steady access to chargers throughout the day, most of the time. It's mainly an emergency device/feature, and usually if I have to take out my powerbank, it's for somebody else's emergency.

Now, besides being limited by the capacity of a single 21700 Li-Ion cell, I'm not sure exactly why I shouldn't expect a light to perform well as a powerbank.
The fact that it's a high output light, means they can't cheap out on some of the components that one might be tempted to save some money on in a dedicated powerbank. Now, this equation is obviously not just in favor of the flashlight. The fact that they have a more constrained weight, size and form factor canvas to work with, means that they might not de able to fit the most effective DC-DC converter, and with ample heatsink compared to most powerbanks, that isn't likely to be a problem heat-wise, but may translate to more heat loss and less energy transferred to the target device.
The specs are a bit mushy when it comes to charging speeds, as it doesn't differentiate between input and output, so I suspect it's only valid for input. If it's the same spec either way, I'd be very impressed:
5V/3A, 9V/2A and 12V/1.5A

At this point it's still a guessing game, and with my very basic needs concerning powerbanks, it may take some time for the facts to be revealed. My basic needs are also part of why it makes sense to opt for a dual use device, it might not be everybody's cup of tea.

Ahh that makes more sense, if you rarely need one yourself then it'll likely do the job just fine.

As for why a flashlight wouldn't be a good one:

- Ergonomically you can't practically hold both your phone and it in one hand like a powerbank, or rest the phone on top to take less space on a surface.

- The charging is not only going to be slower, but also less intelligent in reacting to the different types of devices you're charging.

- Single output

- Less capacity for the weight/bulk you're carrying

- The more you use your flashlight, the less charge you have available for your devices and vice versa.

I'm not opposed to this functionality, and for those like yourself, it might be more than sufficient. However, I'd never personally rely on one as my powerbank or choose a light based on it having that functionality. That's a personal preference, and I use powerbanks regularly with multiple devices, so a different set of needs.

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #2981 on: October 25, 2022, 10:11:37 PM
Ahh that makes more sense, if you rarely need one yourself then it'll likely do the job just fine.

As for why a flashlight wouldn't be a good one:

- Ergonomically you can't practically hold both your phone and it in one hand like a powerbank, or rest the phone on top to take less space on a surface.

- The charging is not only going to be slower, but also less intelligent in reacting to the different types of devices you're charging.

- Single output

- Less capacity for the weight/bulk you're carrying

- The more you use your flashlight, the less charge you have available for your devices and vice versa.

I'm not opposed to this functionality, and for those like yourself, it might be more than sufficient. However, I'd never personally rely on one as my powerbank or choose a light based on it having that functionality. That's a personal preference, and I use powerbanks regularly with multiple devices, so a different set of needs.

You sound like a more advanced powerbank user than myself, so that shuffles the priorities around.
To your points (not to disagree, because I don’t, but rather to clarify my reasoning for anyone else who might see this as a relevant option::
- Ergonomics is a none issue. I would normally charge my device in the backpack, and if for instance I need to use the phone while charging, the charging cable is long enough (1.5m) that I can have the light/PB in my pocket or on my desk while using the phone. I used my old PB the same way, and the light is more comfortable in pocket.
- I need to test/measure the charging speed, as the spec. is a bit ambiguous, but if it can deliver 15/18W as it kind of suggests, that’s the same as my (iPhone) wall charger - which isn’t bad in my book. By intelligent, I suppose you mean able to negotiate the fastest supported charging protocol? I wouldn’t know, but it supports multiple voltage levels in at lest one direction, so there is some intelligence.
- Single output could become an issue. Not typically a problem I’m likely to run into, but if it comes to show that the charging output is mediocre, one output could be a bottleneck. Though slow charging is really the underlaying issue in that case.
- 5000mAh is probably less capacity than most PB’s on the market these days. It’s not terrible for the size and weight though. My old PB, based on size and specs, contains 4x18650 with a combined capacity of 10000mAh. While not double the size and weight, it’s bulky and fragile. Which means I have to add impact and water protection for backpacking, hunting and similar scenarios. That’s added weight, bulk, worry and inconvenience I don’t have to deal with anymore. The ruggedness and dual use capability of the light comes at a slight disadvantage in mAh/(weight x bulk), but it’s worth it. And while not a practical solution for everyday use, it’s also adaptable. Let’s say I take it for a longer backpacking trip, e.g. a week or more, I could add the number of separate 21700 cells I deem necessary - and adapt the capacity to my needs. I.e. I don’t have to buy different size PBs to accommodate variable needs.
- The last point isn’t an issue with the device. The user just has to be mindful about what it’s for. I consider it a PB for all practical purposes, another device will be my primary light source. So it won’t be used as a light unless I’m in a pinch, and in that case I rather have a PB with a light feature than one without.

Some of this reasoning may fall apart if I find out that it does a poor job as a PB, but this is the hypothesis I’m working with.

us Offline Roc

• No Life Club
Reply #2982 on: November 27, 2022, 11:21:29 PM
After all the hype I decided to give the A5 a shot. I’m diggin the size.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #2983 on: December 01, 2022, 08:58:40 PM
After all the hype I decided to give the A5 a shot. I’m diggin the size.
Congrats.  Nice little light.

RovyVon does make nice keychain lights from my experience and it has multiple different models depending on desires,

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2984 on: December 01, 2022, 10:44:50 PM
RovyVon

The Rovyvon A28 gets about 50% of my EDC time, with the Streamlight Protac 2AAA get the other share.  It has a pretty awesome feature set, including a side-mounted UV.  I also have the A5 like ROC, which is my fidget and nighttime light when I'm wandering around the Powernoodle Compound.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #2985 on: December 12, 2022, 10:14:27 PM
Nitecore MH10S

* IMG_0710.jpg (Filesize: 135.7 KB)

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2986 on: December 13, 2022, 05:50:20 PM
Not exactly my latest flashlight, but my latest modification :

SFT40 emitter
OP reflector
and "tactical" forward switch (instead of the factory reverse clicky) ==> got some trouble to get it working and had to "shave" the rubber boot because the forward switch is taller than the factory one

* Convoy_M2_Tactical (1).jpg (Filesize: 117.86 KB)

* Convoy_M2_Tactical (2).jpg (Filesize: 184.32 KB)

* Convoy_M2_Tactical (3).jpg (Filesize: 100.9 KB)

* Convoy_M2_Tactical (4).jpg (Filesize: 101.08 KB)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #2987 on: December 16, 2022, 10:07:37 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2988 on: December 16, 2022, 10:25:58 PM
Red only?  I like it.  I carry a light with red accessory LEDs.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #2989 on: December 17, 2022, 12:31:21 AM
Red only?  I like it.  I carry a light with red accessory LEDs.
Hey Aloha, white also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CHEERS

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2990 on: December 17, 2022, 04:04:05 PM
 :like:  Thats great.  I thought red was a gimmick because I was new to lights with anything other than white or back then amber.  I have a cheap headlamp with red and green in addition to white.  I love the red for exactly what it does, preserve night vision when in a tent.  HAHAHA, my partner is very appreciative of that, as am I  :D

Great at halloween too. 

Esse Quam Videri

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #2991 on: December 19, 2022, 12:32:24 PM
Sofirn

* IMG_0159.jpg (Filesize: 157.76 KB)
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2992 on: December 19, 2022, 02:41:05 PM
:like:  Thats great.  I thought red was a gimmick because I was new to lights with anything other than white or back then amber.  I have a cheap headlamp with red and green in addition to white.  I love the red for exactly what it does, preserve night vision when in a tent.  HAHAHA, my partner is very appreciative of that, as am I  :D

Great at halloween too. 

Night vision, meh. Not having insects flying in and around your mouth when you're trying to have dinner at camp .... Awesome :D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2993 on: December 19, 2022, 05:00:23 PM
 :tu: Yet another great use.  Last night we dropped off my partners son to a shuttle bus for a party on the military base.  They could have chosen a darker parking lot I'm sure  ;).  We get there and the chaperone had a clip board with the list of kids invited to the party.  Not sure why she didn't have a light?  A kid takes out his phone and POW, I was already reaching for my red led light.  I turn mine on shine on the clip board, he turns his phones light off.  Lighting a path bright is great, super dark parking lot, clip board with white paper, not so good. 

This is also where low lumens SHINE  8).     
Esse Quam Videri

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2994 on: December 21, 2022, 06:36:57 PM
Ordered myself a Lumintop Frog, with both 10180 and 10440 options.  Coming from China so I suspect it's going to be next year before I get to try it out. 
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline primeholy

Reply #2995 on: December 27, 2022, 09:40:38 PM
NEBO Torchy 2K my wife got me for Christmas.

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #2996 on: December 28, 2022, 07:49:31 PM
Ordered myself a Lumintop Frog, with both 10180 and 10440 options.  Coming from China so I suspect it's going to be next year before I get to try it out.

I was about to get one, but finally pulled the trigger on a Lumintop D1, I already have 10440 flashlight (Manker E02 II) and 10180 (Fenix UC02SS), and battery life is ... as expected  :drink:  (and for what's worse, I couldn't find any 10440/10180 that doesn't have a bad self drain)
my preferred form factor is now 16340 for compactness (or 18350 if I also want to be able to use it as a full sized flashlight once in a while with 18650 battery and tube), I never go smaller (even 14500 aren't that good imho)

But I am very interested with your feedback when you get it, maybe I'll reconsider my position  :twak:
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2997 on: December 29, 2022, 06:24:49 PM
I was about to get one, but finally pulled the trigger on a Lumintop D1, I already have 10440 flashlight (Manker E02 II) and 10180 (Fenix UC02SS), and battery life is ... as expected  :drink:  (and for what's worse, I couldn't find any 10440/10180 that doesn't have a bad self drain)
my preferred form factor is now 16340 for compactness (or 18350 if I also want to be able to use it as a full sized flashlight once in a while with 18650 battery and tube), I never go smaller (even 14500 aren't that good imho)

But I am very interested with your feedback when you get it, maybe I'll reconsider my position  :twak:

Just got it in this afternoon.  In it's 10180 form it has to be the cutest little light I've ever seen.  :D  First impressions are good, but I'm also a bit concerned by the battery life.  We shall see if it's a problem in real life (and for my uses).   I do find the illuminated switch an...odd (?) choice given the tiny cell capacity.  I will be using the 10440 tube for the moment though.  You can, of course, lock it out by giving the head a slight twist, but that gives you quite a faff of work to do in order to get your light on when you need it. 

* 20221229_160557.jpg (Filesize: 187.45 KB)
« Last Edit: December 29, 2022, 06:30:31 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #2998 on: December 29, 2022, 07:32:24 PM
Just got it in this afternoon.  In it's 10180 form it has to be the cutest little light I've ever seen.  :D  First impressions are good, but I'm also a bit concerned by the battery life.  We shall see if it's a problem in real life (and for my uses).   I do find the illuminated switch an...odd (?) choice given the tiny cell capacity.  I will be using the 10440 tube for the moment though.  You can, of course, lock it out by giving the head a slight twist, but that gives you quite a faff of work to do in order to get your light on when you need it.

That backlight annoys me, I'm pretty sure there's a UI way to turn it off if you don't fancy hardware lockout.

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #2999 on: December 29, 2022, 07:51:55 PM

Santa gave me an Olight Arkfeld.  I like the somewhat unusual form factor, deep clip, UI with 5 levels plus strobe, magnetic charger and a pretty strong green laser.  It also has a battery meter.  The only small ding I give it is that I'm concerned that it could activate in my pocket due to the button placement.  This has not actually happened because I lock out the UI when its in my pocket with a 2 second long press, so its not that big of a deal.  But really I think you need to lock it and unlock it with every use if you are doing pocket carry.  Overall I give it high marks .  Comes in a variety of colors.  The Olight Arkfeld is Powernoodle Approved.

https://www.olightstore.com/arkfeld-flat-flashlight.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD