Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What's your latest flashlight?

edap617 · 3060 · 243998

wales Offline GearedForwards

• No Life Club
Re: What's your latest flashlight?
Reply #3000 on: December 29, 2022, 08:01:22 PM
(Image removed from quote.)
Santa gave me an Olight Arkfeld.  I like the somewhat unusual form factor, deep clip, UI with 5 levels plus strobe, magnetic charger and a pretty strong green laser.  It also has a battery meter.  The only small ding I give it is that I'm concerned that it could activate in my pocket due to the button placement.  This has not actually happened because I lock out the UI when its in my pocket with a 2 second long press, so its not that big of a deal.  But really I think you need to lock it and unlock it with every use if you are doing pocket carry.  Overall I give it high marks .  Comes in a variety of colors.  The Olight Arkfeld is Powernoodle Approved.

https://www.olightstore.com/arkfeld-flat-flashlight.html

Arkfeld is a cracking light  :tu:

For what it's worth I've never had it come on whilst having it in my pocket for fitness walks, I'm pretty sure the switching ring would prevent most accidental activations. Refreshing to see someone willing to use lock out though!
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

Love belt carry? Consider doing the Batman Challenge!

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3001 on: December 29, 2022, 08:14:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the switching ring would prevent most accidental activations.

Yeah I just laid it on the table with the button/ring down, and could not activate it by pressing it into the table, so you are prolly right.   :cheers:

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #3002 on: December 29, 2022, 09:38:15 PM
Just got it in this afternoon.  In it's 10180 form it has to be the cutest little light I've ever seen.  :D  First impressions are good, but I'm also a bit concerned by the battery life.  We shall see if it's a problem in real life (and for my uses).   I do find the illuminated switch an...odd (?) choice given the tiny cell capacity.  I will be using the 10440 tube for the moment though.  You can, of course, lock it out by giving the head a slight twist, but that gives you quite a faff of work to do in order to get your light on when you need it.

thanks a lot :) i'm looking forward to a "long term" review !
(for the self discharge of 10180 and 10440 batteries I wasn't event talking about "idle drain" due to to e-button, but about the "open circuit" self discharge, which also occurs in mechanical lockout, or in storage)
Meet me also on youtube & instagram for mostly knives (and multitools) content

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3003 on: December 30, 2022, 10:17:43 AM
That backlight annoys me, I'm pretty sure there's a UI way to turn it off if you don't fancy hardware lockout.

I had a bit of a Google to see if there was a way, but came up blank.  :-\  if you find something then I'd be very happy to hear about it.  :salute:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline Dutch_Tooler

• No Life Club
Reply #3004 on: December 31, 2022, 10:43:17 AM
I just got the Fenix as a GAW prize.

* 1130202218826.jpg (Filesize: 452.43 KB)
Cheers!
Dutch_Tooler

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3005 on: December 31, 2022, 12:26:54 PM
Santa gave me an Olight Arkfeld.  I like the somewhat unusual form factor, deep clip, UI with 5 levels plus strobe, magnetic charger and a pretty strong green laser.  It also has a battery meter.  The only small ding I give it is that I'm concerned that it could activate in my pocket due to the button placement.  This has not actually happened because I lock out the UI when its in my pocket with a 2 second long press, so its not that big of a deal.  But really I think you need to lock it and unlock it with every use if you are doing pocket carry.  Overall I give it high marks .  Comes in a variety of colors.  The Olight Arkfeld is Powernoodle Approved.

https://www.olightstore.com/arkfeld-flat-flashlight.html

LOVE your desktop!!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3006 on: December 31, 2022, 11:46:56 PM
 :salute: :salute: :salute:

• No Life Club
Reply #3007 on: January 01, 2023, 09:26:30 PM
I had a bit of a Google to see if there was a way, but came up blank.  :-\  if you find something then I'd be very happy to hear about it.  :salute:

From a quick google this should work (tested on my Nano, which should be identical bar the reflector array):

The switch backlight is turned on by default when the flashlight is turned off. If you don't want to use this backlight, simply turn the flashlight on and off quickly. The status LED in this case will remain disabled until the next use (only under "RAMPING UI")

Can take a try or two to get the rhythm without turning turbo on, but does work. Hope that helps.
Check out my Youtube channel  for gear reviews, comparisons, and carry philosophy.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3008 on: January 02, 2023, 02:14:42 AM
From a quick google this should work (tested on my Nano, which should be identical bar the reflector array):

The switch backlight is turned on by default when the flashlight is turned off. If you don't want to use this backlight, simply turn the flashlight on and off quickly. The status LED in this case will remain disabled until the next use (only under "RAMPING UI")

Can take a try or two to get the rhythm without turning turbo on, but does work. Hope that helps.

Cheers baddy.  Gave it a go but if it's possible I can't manage it.  :D  Mine isn't a ramping UI though so I'm going to use that as an excuse for my failure.  ;)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3009 on: January 10, 2023, 10:51:27 PM
So after a week or so I'm going to say that I'm perfectly happy with the Frog and it's cell capacity/draining.  "Real world" applications for me is once or twice a day at lower levels and not for much time, but I was still able to turn it on at full today. 

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #3010 on: January 12, 2023, 09:20:07 PM
Being utterly disappointed with Lumintop D1 UI, I got myself an EDC18 (Anduril), in the only version left : copper.
But copper is REALLY heavy, and I don't like the blue accents much ..

1/ added glow gasket
2/ removed the bunny (thx to https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/gujw5x/edc18_modbunny_delete/) but I had some trouble with it, started with 2500grit not to scratch the rubber boot, but had to go gown to 800 to really start remove the Bunny... so it has some scratches :(
3/ swapped the blue ring with the silver one from D1sanded down the blue metallic ring around the button (pics where taken before)

I still need to swap the emitter with 3*LH351D 2700K LEDs

Quite happy with the result :)

* Modded_EDC18 (1).jpg (Filesize: 73.68 KB)

* Modded_EDC18 (3).jpg (Filesize: 161.4 KB)

* Modded_EDC18 (4).jpg (Filesize: 105.66 KB)

* Modded_EDC18 (2).jpg (Filesize: 92.38 KB)

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #3011 on: January 12, 2023, 10:59:36 PM
Thanks to what we suspect is a pocketary mishap with a toddler, I lost my beloved Perun Mini somewhere between my house and Costco....

So I've ordered the new version which, on the spec sheet, may well be absolutely everything I ever wanted in an EDC light.
It's somewhere in the post, so I imagine a review will be required of me once it's arrived!!

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #3012 on: January 13, 2023, 09:19:09 AM
 :mail: :twak: (don't forget to show us when it comes)

• No Life Club
Reply #3013 on: January 13, 2023, 09:35:24 AM
Being utterly disappointed with Lumintop D1 UI, I got myself an EDC18 (Anduril), in the only version left : copper.

1/ added glow gasket
2/ removed the bunny (thx to https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/gujw5x/edc18_modbunny_delete/) but I had some trouble with it, started with 2500grit not to scratch the rubber boot, but had to go gown to 800 to really start remove the Bunny... so it has some scratches :(
3/ swapped the blue ring with the silver one from D1sanded down the blue metallic ring around the button (pics where taken before)

Now that looks nice! Love the glow gasket, great work  :tu:

• No Life Club
Reply #3014 on: January 13, 2023, 09:36:07 AM
Thanks to what we suspect is a pocketary mishap with a toddler, I lost my beloved Perun Mini somewhere between my house and Costco....

So I've ordered the new version which, on the spec sheet, may well be absolutely everything I ever wanted in an EDC light.
It's somewhere in the post, so I imagine a review will be required of me once it's arrived!!

I've had my Perun mini 2 for about a month now, great light and I think you'll really like it  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3015 on: January 15, 2023, 05:38:21 PM
So after a week or so I'm going to say that I'm perfectly happy with the Frog and it's cell capacity/draining.  "Real world" applications for me is once or twice a day at lower levels and not for much time, but I was still able to turn it on at full today.

Tried the tiny cell and, with very little use, found it to be dead after five days.  Never noticed it to have turned itself on in my pocket.  Oddly the red backlight on the switch has gone out and I don't know how (or when) it happened*.  :think:

*PS, yes, I have changed the cell and the switch light is still off.  :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #3016 on: January 20, 2023, 09:09:42 PM
I've had my Perun mini 2 for about a month now, great light and I think you'll really like it  :tu:

Was looking at this light in the internet. You guys like it?

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #3017 on: January 21, 2023, 04:01:56 AM
I loved the Perun Mini... Still deciding on the PM2. Some definite advantages over the PM, but a couple of features are somewhat diminished, too....

• No Life Club
Reply #3018 on: January 21, 2023, 07:51:32 AM

I like it, I've been a fan of this size headlamp/flaslight since I got the H1Nova back in 2016.

• No Life Club
Reply #3019 on: January 21, 2023, 07:51:50 AM
I loved the Perun Mini... Still deciding on the PM2. Some definite advantages over the PM, but a couple of features are somewhat diminished, too....

What features are giving you pause?

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #3020 on: January 21, 2023, 10:35:59 PM
What features are giving you pause?
The PM2 pocket clip isn't as strong as the PM and it doesn't fit the velcro holder patch. The tail magnet is also WAY weaker than on the PM. The PM2's slash-cut knurling is also notably slippier compared to the pineapple grenade texture of the PM.

• No Life Club
Reply #3021 on: January 22, 2023, 12:13:37 AM
The PM2 pocket clip isn't as strong as the PM and it doesn't fit the velcro holder patch. The tail magnet is also WAY weaker than on the PM. The PM2's slash-cut knurling is also notably slippier compared to the pineapple grenade texture of the PM.

Huh I didn't know about the patch thing, how come it doesn't fit?

Is the strength thing because the clip freely rotates vs sitting in a cut groove to lock it in? I've not noticed any retention issues or it popping off the light so I'm not sure what else this could be.

I don't have anything with the pineapple knurling, but I think I'd rate the PM2's as good if not a bit better as the dash-style knurling that's on the Warrior 3S, Warrior Mini, Baton series.

If you're unsure, you can always pick up the original mini, since you already know you like it?

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #3022 on: January 22, 2023, 02:08:21 AM
Huh I didn't know about the patch thing, how come it doesn't fit?
Is the strength thing because the clip freely rotates vs sitting in a cut groove to lock it in? I've not noticed any retention issues or it popping off the light so I'm not sure what else this could be.
I don't have anything with the pineapple knurling, but I think I'd rate the PM2's as good if not a bit better as the dash-style knurling that's on the Warrior 3S, Warrior Mini, Baton series.
If you're unsure, you can always pick up the original mini, since you already know you like it?

The new PM2 pocket clip is a mil or two wider, so doesn't fit inside the barrel pivot.
The initial upward leg of the clip is braced right up against the back of the head, so the clip strength is purely down to that first bend. It grips OK, but is notably easier to pull off the pocket edge than the PM... and since that's how I lost my last one in the first place, it's a point of concern for me.
The slash-cut is basically the same as the dash-cut, in that your fingers can hold the barrel really well longitudinally (great for longer torches), but if you're having to grip the light with any force, your fingers slide around the width of the tube and you can easily drop it. The grenade knurling worked very well in both directions.

I may well go get another PM eventually, but even at £45 the PM2 was an expense I didn't need at this time, so another PM1 at £65 would be a very stupid thing to do.
If I really can't get on with the PM2, I have plenty of other torches to pick from... Fenix's E18R or their HM50R v2 are both lovely EDC pieces that I like to swap in occasionally.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 02:15:11 AM by Tasky »

fr Offline m47mu74nt

• No Life Club
Reply #3023 on: February 13, 2023, 08:09:23 PM

1/ added glow gasket

So I pushed my luck a little more, and swapped the emitter, not with 3 Samsung LH351D but Nichia 519A 2700K LEDs.
used a very little hotplate, bought specifically for the job, I wouldn't risk these with a candle based ghetto reflow

* EDC18_519Amod (1).jpg (Filesize: 131.24 KB)

* EDC18_519Amod (2).jpg (Filesize: 113.19 KB)

* EDC18_519Amod (3).jpg (Filesize: 121.42 KB)

* EDC18_519Amod (4).jpg (Filesize: 185.93 KB)

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3024 on: February 14, 2023, 04:05:10 AM
Reylight LANapple

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3025 on: February 14, 2023, 04:21:09 AM
Just got it in this afternoon.  In it's 10180 form it has to be the cutest little light I've ever seen.  :D  First impressions are good, but I'm also a bit concerned by the battery life.  We shall see if it's a problem in real life (and for my uses).   I do find the illuminated switch an...odd (?) choice given the tiny cell capacity.  I will be using the 10440 tube for the moment though.  You can, of course, lock it out by giving the head a slight twist, but that gives you quite a faff of work to do in order to get your light on when you need it.
I managed to turn off the switch light.  I forgot what I did, but acquired to this pic, it should be 7 clicks from Off

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #3026 on: February 17, 2023, 01:26:34 AM
Arkfeld is a cracking light  :tu:

For what it's worth I've never had it come on whilst having it in my pocket for fitness walks

After several weeks of carry, I am no longer concerned that it might activate in my pocket.  I like just about everything about the light, and its nice to have a laser to play with.

:salute:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3027 on: February 17, 2023, 06:41:18 AM
I managed to turn off the switch light.  I forgot what I did, but acquired to this pic, it should be 7 clicks from Off

Hey, that works!  Cheers Sos.   :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #3028 on: February 17, 2023, 08:13:49 AM
Hey, that works!  Cheers Sos.   :cheers:
Glad it worked.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3029 on: March 20, 2023, 08:03:19 PM
Anyone has/knows about the performance of LEXMAN flashlights? In particular these models:

LEXMAN 525LM micro USB (€12.99)

LEXMAN 1200LM-360LM (€14.99)

LEXMAN 450LM (€14.99)

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD