Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The small blade?

ca Offline ketchupgun

The small blade?
on: December 20, 2011, 10:26:36 AM
At the risk of sounding like a dimwit: what's the purpose of the small blade on victorinoxes ? What do "you" use it for?

I've never used the one in my voyager lite nor the one on my huntsman and I often think I'd prefer if it weren't there and make the MT thinner .

Thx for your patience😊

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Re: The small blade?
Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 10:37:40 AM
some use it for whittling, some like to keep one of the blades separate for food prep.
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 10:42:28 AM
Anything where a little precision is needed - whittling too.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 10:48:41 AM
Back up blade in case the other goes dull ... which is code for I don't use it  ;)

To be honest I feel the combo tool, the alox awl, and the wenger nail file are all better accompanyments to the main blade

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 11:12:59 AM
Back up blade in case the other goes dull ... which is code for I don't use it  ;)

To be honest I feel the combo tool, the alox awl, and the wenger nail file are all better accompanyments to the main blade

+1
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
The small blade?
Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
I carried a huntsman on my keys for years and this was pretty much the only blade I did use. Nearly every Day i find myself in b&q buying timber and needing to cut that plastic strapping they use to bundle the wood together. So this would be my blade of choice as not wanting to worry other members of the public who may be around.
I now use the scissors on my crosscut that I have on my keys or my vice that is in my pocket most days.
I wish my paratool had a similar blade for use in very public places.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 01:44:56 PM by chip »
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 01:41:22 PM
I carried a huntsman on my keys for years and this was pretty much the only blade I did use. Nearly every Day i find myself in b&q buying timber and needing to cut that plastic strapping they use to bundle the wood together. So this would be my blade of choose as not wanting to worry other members of the public who may be around.
I now use the scissors on my crosscut that I have on my keys or my vice that is in my pocket most days.
Huntsman on keychain !!?
Seems a little weird  :think:

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
The small blade?
Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 01:53:24 PM
I carried a huntsman on my keys for years and this was pretty much the only blade I did use. Nearly every Day i find myself in b&q buying timber and needing to cut that plastic strapping they use to bundle the wood together. So this would be my blade of choose as not wanting to worry other members of the public who may be around.
Huntsman on keychain !!?

Not really, i have a huge bunch of keys, and It was not long before both scales were missing due to the fact I drop them ten times a day.
My trouble is i never show initiative, but that's only because no one has told me to.

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 03:02:33 PM
Huntsman on keychain !!?

Not really, i have a huge bunch of keys, and It was not long before both scales were missing due to the fact I drop them ten times a day.
I can't see a huntsman  :think:
I cant understand :think:
Sorry , but my English is not so good
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:04:50 PM by 3bdul3zeez »

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 03:24:54 PM
The original designed use of the small blade, circa 1910, was as an "erasing blade":  erasing unwanted lines when writing or drawing (see SAK Owner's Manual). 
As 50-ft trad says, it allows you to always have a razor-sharp back-up blade.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 03:47:10 PM
I actually use the small blade a lot... for smaller things (small tags, small parcels etc).
SAW

gb Offline chip

• No Life Club
The small blade?
Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 04:26:16 PM
Huntsman on keychain !!?

You won't do as i gave it away when I replaced it with a mechanic I think it was called (even bigger). Which I  then replaced with a bug after pretty much destroying the mechanic. I later added the crosscut.
That is after giving the vice ago which lasted all of two hours before the lanyard ring broke and fell off .
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:29:56 PM by chip »

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 05:22:26 PM
Huntsman on keychain !!?

You won't do as i gave it away when I replaced it with a mechanic I think it was called (even bigger). Which I  then replaced with a bug after pretty much destroying the mechanic. I later added the crosscut.
That is after giving the vice ago which lasted all of two hours before the lanyard ring broke and fell off .
Oh , now I understand
thanks for explaining  :salute:

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 06:22:22 PM
I tend to use my small blade as a back up when my main blade goes dull. I know that sounds like I don't use it but it does happen from time to time
-----5hif7y-----

ca Offline kahyja

Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 02:15:59 AM
The small blade on my Spartan is my ''beat up'' blade, as I prefer to have the main one in better shape.

us Offline tattoosteve99

The small blade?
Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 02:59:39 AM
ليست في الحقيقة، لدى مجموعة ضخمة من مفاتيح، وكان لا طويلة قبل كلا جداول في عداد المفقودين نظراً لكون إفلاتها عشر مرات في اليوم

This help?
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 03:22:12 AM
i use the small blade of my pocket pal for opening tangerines  :D

custom swiss army knives

us Offline MirrorEdge

Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 07:40:48 AM
ليست في الحقيقة، لدى مجموعة ضخمة من مفاتيح، وكان لا طويلة قبل كلا جداول في عداد المفقودين نظراً لكون إفلاتها عشر مرات في اليوم

This help?
Are you talking to me ??
If yes , I can't understand this Arabic sentence , because it have so many grammar faults , and I think it was translated by google translate , right ?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 07:52:19 AM
The small blade on my Spartan is my ''beat up'' blade, as I prefer to have the main one in better shape.

I have to agree with this. I use the small blade for most cutting task and if push cam to shove the small blade will be getting abused and not the main blade.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 08:08:39 AM
I'm a big fan of the small blade. I usually sharpen it to around 10 degrees per side and give it a high polish. It can really do some precision cutting as well as heavy duty cutting where the whole blade needs to pass through a somewhat rigid material, where thinness is paramount. It's kind of a cross between a scalpel and a box cutter in terms of utility.  Love the small blade :tu:

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 06:14:50 PM
small blades are why i dont care for wenger.i  also use my small blade the majority of the time.

us Offline Grateful

Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 06:41:06 PM
 I use mine when I want more control for precise cuts , also use it when I am trying to keep a low profile around sheeple. I like the large blade small blade combo.
Jim

za Offline meanx

Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 08:56:34 PM
i use the small blade of my pocket pal for opening tangerines  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

Beautiful  :drool:
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

us Offline Randyc1974

Reply #23 on: December 22, 2011, 03:58:10 AM
Besides my keychain SAK Classic, my Super Tinker is my most often carried SAK. I use the small blade for most cutting tasks, including cutting plastic shipping bands and cardboard boxes. I keep the large blade  as a backup for the small blade. I also find I have better control over the smaller blade.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 04:00:47 AM by Randyc1974 »

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: December 22, 2011, 04:00:39 AM

+1. especially the awl.

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #25 on: December 25, 2011, 11:31:15 PM
My most used 91mm is the swisschamp, and there I have the small blade sharpened with the 30º angle profile from the spydermaker while I keep the long blade at 40º. I find it curious to see some other guys here to do the same sort of thing, although not exactly like.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #26 on: December 27, 2011, 11:13:24 PM
Usually only use the small blades for envelopes and packages, large blade for everything else. Not that the small blade is needed for that, but its there on my Tinker & Tourist, so I use it.

us Offline hugh_h

Reply #27 on: December 28, 2011, 03:40:29 PM
I was opening a bottle of wine while I lived in Europe, and was struggling with getting a nice cut around the foil that covered the cork. The large blade was still pretty sharp, but wasn't super-sharp after having been used to cut many things over time. A local guy said, "That's what the small blade is for--you keep it sharp so you can cut the wine bottles' foil." So, I've always used the big blade for the bulk of cutting tasks, and kept the small blade for those things that only a *really sharp* blade can do.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: February 28, 2017, 12:56:16 PM
Just seen this thread, and it's a very interesting discussion so i decided to resurrect it  :D

I've seen a lot of guys slag on the small blade for not being needed or useful. Just yesterday a colleague of mine borrowed my SAK to open up an envelope or small parcel (and he is a SAK user too) and i just noticed he went straight to the main blade, not the small one. Just like the majority of 'non' SAK users i've seen in the past too.
I am, and always have been exactly the opposite. I always use the small blade 90% of the time, i only use the main one when i require a bigger blade for the specific task. I mean, if you have a smaller blade that is more precise and easy to handle for small / medium jobs and less conspicuous than the main, why will you use and dull up (or even damage, if you need to pry for example) the main one?

One of the many reason's i don't really like the Compact very much (besides not having the two full opener's) is that it doesn't have the small blade. If i had to choose between that and scissor's, i'll take the small blade any time  :salute:

Anyone care to give it's personal opinion on the matter?  :whistle:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 01:01:57 PM by MacGyver »
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #29 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:24 PM
 :like:

The small blade is my go-to blade too.  Gets used for pretty much everything, leaving the large blade free for mostly just food prep.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%