Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Too Good To Be True?

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Too Good To Be True?
on: December 27, 2011, 06:38:24 AM
Not a Vic or Wenger, but interesting. The name is on the blade where a retailer's name often is, and isn't on my list of old Swiss Army knife makers. The pins stand proud. Everything just looks too good, like its been heavily polished.

Karl

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170753598162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1334

us Offline MirrorEdge

Re: Too Good To Be True?
Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 10:36:01 AM
Not a Vic or Wenger, but interesting. The name is on the blade where a retailer's name often is, and isn't on my list of old Swiss Army knife makers. The pins stand proud. Everything just looks too good, like its been heavily polished.

Karl

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170753598162?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_500wt_1334

Maybe they wanted to write (ELSENER) but they wrote (ELEULER) as a typo mistake  :think:

But I don't think so

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 10:41:27 AM
It was probably owned by E.L. Euler...
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline user24

• SAK collector and all-purpose geek
Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 11:22:33 AM
Maybe they wanted to write (ELSENER) but they wrote (ELEULER) as a typo mistake  :think:

But I don't think so

Me neither: http://imgur.com/CofRb

Unless it was a factory mistake  :think: unlikely...
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 11:27:27 AM by user24 »
"Nothing endures but change" - Heraclitus.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 12:07:22 PM
No way that it's a typo. Euler is a pretty common name. The Seven Bridges of Königsberg, anyone? ;)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:00:40 PM
Looks like the high chrome content of early stainless steel, especially German. The scissors is a of a style made in Germany at that time.  There is a Euler shop selling Victorinox knives in Remsheid, Germany today.  But Zurich ?  My bet would be that this is a knife made in Germany in the 1920s for sale in a Euler cutlery shop in Zurich, Switzerland, to compete with the Victorinox Officer's Knife of that time.   Nice knife, but priced high don't you think ?
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:50:45 PM
Looks like the high chrome content of early stainless steel, especially German. The scissors is a of a style made in Germany at that time.  There is a Euler shop selling Victorinox knives in Remsheid, Germany today.  But Zurich ?  My bet would be that this is a knife made in Germany in the 1920s for sale in a Euler cutlery shop in Zurich, Switzerland, to compete with the Victorinox Officer's Knife of that time.   Nice knife, but priced high don't you think ?

Thanks for the info. As for the knife, yes, definitely pricey.

Karl

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: December 28, 2011, 02:16:54 AM
Looks like the high chrome content of early stainless steel, especially German. The scissors is a of a style made in Germany at that time.

Interesting - these are the type of scissors I've seen in several clones before. The fact that the scissors in my early Hunstman (posted in the other thread) were more Victorinox-like was one of the things that had me hoping the knife was real.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 12:14:58 PM
He buffed the smurf out of that thing!
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 07:37:56 PM
You know after looking this thing over pretty carefully I have some things about it that makes me think rebuild or MOD. The scales look near perfect which is very hard to find in that type and age. The pins ALL sit high on the scales, not flush. The wood saw and scissors both make me think maybe not right for the age of the knife.

ch Offline jaydar

Reply #10 on: January 02, 2012, 07:54:54 PM
I have the same knife although mine is stamped W Renz St Gallen

Its a shiny knife (well mine is unpolished but you can see it will polish up nicely :)

my scales are in the same condition but the pins are also proud

Happy with your assessment that it could be german but I would guess at the stamp being a retailer

It is a very well made knife and the scissors are great, as for the price I think it will struggle without a makers mark

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2012, 01:54:31 AM
It was probably owned by E.L. Euler...
+1

Looks like the high chrome content of early stainless steel, especially German. The scissors is a of a style made in Germany at that time.
+1

The wood saw and scissors both make me think maybe not right for the age of the knife.

I agree they look weird, but I think if it's a german knife they had access to the other tools at the time from the Swiss Army spec. and local present or past military supliers, but added these two tools from their own design and manufacturing process.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 01:59:44 AM by ICanFixThat »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD