Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Powerlock Locks!

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Powerlock Locks!
on: January 12, 2008, 08:41:54 PM
I don't know if my PowerLocks are defective but the locks are not good at all. They move up and down and the V Cutter and saw dont engage properly you have to push the lock up by the button and position it right.. Any similar problems?
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Re: Powerlock Locks!
Reply #1 on: January 12, 2008, 08:56:42 PM
That happens with my blade and bottle opener which are side by side...I have to jiggle the bottle opener in the closed position while the blade is open to get the lock to engage.

It's not really a defect, just old technology. :P
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #2 on: January 12, 2008, 09:10:07 PM
Oh, I see. But, you EDC the powerlock right? Have you ever broke one?
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 09:46:04 PM
Oh, I see. But, you EDC the powerlock right? Have you ever broke one?

Nothings broke on it and I've carried it for over a year I think.  I use the pliers every day, and the inside tools when the need arises.  It's scratched, scuffed, and dirty, but not broke :D

The locking mechanism is probably the best of the old technology before clumping became a thing of the past. 

Every few weeks I'll blow some compressed air through it to get the dust and dirt out, then use some graphite lube on the joints.
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: January 12, 2008, 09:47:52 PM
Oh, do you have the V-Cutter or scissors?
B

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 05:09:29 AM

That happens with my blade and bottle opener which are side by side...I have to jiggle the bottle opener in the closed position while the blade is open to get the lock to engage.
The same thing for me.

It's not really a defect, just old technology. :P
Good point. :D
"

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #6 on: January 13, 2008, 04:10:32 PM
Oh, do you have the V-Cutter or scissors?

Scissors...those take another few seconds to deploy since there are two things that fold out and need to have the locking bar engage on them. :twak:
[

Offline Biru

Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 10:16:48 PM
I've never really trusted my SOG Powerlock's locking mechanism. It just seems like it would release the tool with any real stress (I don't carry mine so I can't confirm this).

us Offline carl

Reply #8 on: January 31, 2008, 07:40:06 AM
We all know SOG has the know how to make a good solid lock - enough locking power so that they can finally come out with a MT that has the tools accessible from the outside and not have to worry about the tools folding and pinching our fingers.  Only manufacturers who are afraid of pinching fingers (due to poor lock design) make you open the handles to get at the tools.  Its about time SOG did it right - a solid locking mechanism with tools accessible from the outside, no more tool covers necessary, and more happy customers.  I mean, didn't we land on the moon, in what, 1969?

Offline Biru

Reply #9 on: January 31, 2008, 08:04:55 PM
If SOG would come out with a tool with outside-accessible tools, and a real needlenose plier with no exposed gears, I'd burn a path to the dealer to get one. I think the ONLY advantage Bear MGC has over everybody else (including Victorinox) is their outside-accessible tools in an ergonomic (meaning less-squared) handle and a full sized plier. If SOG could make a one hand-opening blade so much the better, I'd carry it every day. I love the feel of my Powerlock, but the Wave and the Bear Jaws are so much more handy.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #10 on: January 31, 2008, 08:07:02 PM
If SOG would come out with a tool with outside-accessible tools, and a real needlenose plier with no exposed gears, I'd burn a path to the dealer to get one. I think the ONLY advantage Bear MGC has over everybody else (including Victorinox) is their outside-accessible tools in an ergonomic (meaning less-squared) handle and a full sized plier. If SOG could make a one hand-opening blade so much the better, I'd carry it every day. I love the feel of my Powerlock, but the Wave and the Bear Jaws are so much more handy.
Maybe they'll unveil something at the SHOT show, but they do seem wedded to there current design's, and don't seem to be in a hurry to change them :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline carl

Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 10:24:10 AM
That's one marriage thats gotta go!

Offline CF1973

Reply #12 on: March 08, 2008, 10:41:37 PM
I thought my B60 was defective when I got it. I'm waiting on a warranty return due to the bottle opener/primary blade issue. If I had read this forum earlier, I would not have sent it in. The woman in the warranty department wasn't aware of any issues like this so I sent it off. That's what I get for not doing a search first.

Offline Biru

Reply #13 on: March 09, 2008, 03:39:19 AM
CF:

May I ask the nature of your complaint? Just wondering if the locking tab was not falling into the individual tool's lock recess. I had that problem at first, but it seems the more I used the tool, the easier and more sure the tab inserted into the recess.

Just wondering, Bill.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: March 09, 2008, 05:18:25 AM
I thought my B60 was defective when I got it. I'm waiting on a warranty return due to the bottle opener/primary blade issue.

Last I had heard the rep for SOG over at Bladeforums said they were aware of this issue and had been for several years. I don't remember if there was a remedy for it though.

Let us know if they have a fix for it, that always kind of bugged me too but I never used the blade enough for it to be a huge issue for me.

Welcome to the forums!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: March 09, 2008, 06:49:48 PM
I thought my B60 was defective when I got it. I'm waiting on a warranty return due to the bottle opener/primary blade issue. If I had read this forum earlier, I would not have sent it in. The woman in the warranty department wasn't aware of any issues like this so I sent it off. That's what I get for not doing a search first.

Howdy CF, let us know how it turns out for you :)

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline CF1973

Reply #16 on: March 22, 2008, 07:51:54 PM
I received the B60 a few days ago from the warranty department. It is pretty much the same product I sent back to them. I was initially very disappointed, mostly because I ordered the tool at the end of December. I RMA'd it, then did a warranty return, then read this forum thread. The locking mechanism does not engage on one of the handles consistently, depending on the position of the other tools. After using the tool for a little bit, I don't have any major complaints though. The locking issue is not a big deal and hopefully resolved in their newer tools with the piano lock. I'm looking forward to trying them out, but I need to give the wallet a break.

Offline Steel

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2008, 01:48:29 AM
The Piano locks works VERY WELL! I was taking the back of the blade when it is locked and hitting the back of the blade on my table and it wouldn't fail at first. I did fail after about 30 times of doing it. 1 out of 30 in't bad. It is a big improvement over my first Powerlock.

us Offline carl

Reply #18 on: March 26, 2008, 12:29:25 AM
The Piano locks works VERY WELL! I was taking the back of the blade when it is locked and hitting the back of the blade on my table and it wouldn't fail at first. I did fail after about 30 times of doing it. 1 out of 30 in't bad. It is a big improvement over my first Powerlock.
that good to hear because the one-piece lock was very uncertain in its secureness from the sample i saw in-store.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #19 on: April 04, 2008, 04:30:13 AM
I have never had a problem with the locks but I don't use it a lot so I might be missing something. it is to slow to open it, remove the cover and open a blade so I let it sit.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%