Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Great Eastern Farm and Field line Bull Nose

dks · 4 · 10974

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Great Eastern Farm and Field line Bull Nose
on: October 05, 2012, 07:03:20 PM
Great Eastern Farm and Field line (lower cost line), Bull-Nose (see sodbuster)

01 tool steel blade

1095 steel liners

Derlin Handles

I decided a few months back not to buy any more GEC knives, though my Slipjoint EDC is a GEC knife. This knife however, caught my attention and I decided to buy it.

I intentionally bought a “second” so as to have no excuse but use it. I would have preferred it if it was SS but the whole package looked promising and I like sodbuster style knives. I do not usually carry non SS folding knives….

For reference these knives retail at about $50, about double what a Case xx sodbuster costs. Mine was $42. Note that $50 for a GEC is considered cheap.

Despite being a 2nd it arrived in the usual GEC tube.

The finish of the knife was quite good and definitely a lot better than what I expected reading BF  :D … In honestly, this is the first GEC I have had that I am happy with its finish.

As to the reasons for it being classed as a 2nd, as far as me and the dealer could figure out, the stamp on the pin “shield” on one side is not as clear as expected.

The knife looks to me gorgeous, though bright orange may not suit some people.

The blade is nicely centred.

Has a half-stop.

The pull is a bit harder than a Case xx sodbuster but it is very good for me and I can easily pich and pull the blade open. Very smooth opening, for the price.

Sizewise it is a bit bigger than the Case xx Jr sodbuster so whereas most people will use a 3 finger grip on the small Case some will be able to use 4 fingers on the GEC. For me it is a pretty comfortable 3 finger grip.

Smaller, noticeably, than the full size Case xx sodbuster.

The blade of the GEC is polished, but not mirror like. Still more shiny than the Case xx.

The backspring is also quite polished, similar to other GEC products.

(current carry Vs future carry)

The pivot pin “shields” are also nicely polished.

Here you can see the “faulty” one (the USA writing is a bit faint) that still looks nicely polished.

Compared to the OK one. (note the “S” stamp on the G letter on the tang, denoting it as a 2nd)

Comparison with some other sodbusters:
From the top: Kissing Crane , Imperial Schrade, Case xx Jr, GEC, Case xx, Rough Rider.

The blade has a reasonably uniform grind.

It is about the same thickness as a the Case xx Jr (2.2mm at the top) but is more uniform, without a thick part near the tip, like the Case xx. Looks like a nice slicer and came sharp and able to easily push cut paper.

So, this knife costs about double as much as the well established Case xx.

Is it worth more?   ???

The answer is yes  :D as it is a more “polished” product in more ways than one, with nice details (like the pivot pin “shields”), decent steel, lanyard hole (brass), polished spring and blade, half stop, smoother opening and a more expensive overall “look”.

Is it worth twice as much? Maybe…  :-\

For the sodbuster experience on the really cheap, however look into Rough Rider and even Imperial Schrade whose sodbuster is the cream of their slipjoint line (still just OK though…).

You looking at me??  :D

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Great Eastern Farm and Field line Bull Nose
Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 12:50:36 AM
Nice review, looks like a nice 'working' knife, cheap enough to not be too worried about putting it through its paces but not so cheap that it isn't well made.

Interesting :)
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 01:02:57 AM
Great looking knife and an excellent review. :salute: Really nice comparison pics too. I love the Sodbuster pattern. It's my favourite slippie.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:32:47 AM
Sodbuster type, or similar look single, largish, blade knives is what I remember most people carrying from my youth. With the exception of SAKs single blade slipjoints are still the most popular knives in most of the European region, I think.

I think GEC will be successful with this line, as it provides access to their products to more people who do not want to spend over $50 for a decent working knife. I hope they also make this in SS which I prefer for most tasks, due to the fact that it does not rust/stain easily or make the food taste metallic. Modern SS, even 440C which is the “traditional” SS for most good knife makers in the European north, it seems, is pretty good stuff.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%