Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watch nut.!

fi Offline deano42

• Custom paracord lanyards
Watch nut.!
on: January 19, 2008, 11:55:52 AM
Hi all

New to this forum, and whilst I do not (currently) have a huge colection of multitools I do have a few nice watches.

Sinn EZM4

Tutima Di 300

Speedbird 1903

PRS-20

Quad 10

Blackwater MMT

Lets see your watches...

Thanks
deano

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Re: Watch nut.!
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2008, 12:21:54 PM
Lets see your watches...
Wonderful looking pictures and wonderful looking watches! Welcome to the forums.

I cannot help myself. The only time-telling instrument in my possession for years and years.  :D

:P

But, since you're here now. Although I shudder at the though of the multi-tools I may miss by directing funds elsewhere I have been considering starting down the road to watch-nuttery myself. I'm curious about the hobby.

Do you ever buy a cheap knock-off watch just to test it against your higher-end watches? (We do this a lot with multi-tools.)

What are some good companies for the beginning collector to look into?

What's your EDC watch?

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2008, 12:51:30 PM
Here is my Wenger that I have been wearing for over a year now;
I'm back!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2008, 01:41:15 PM

I had something like this for years. I'm not sure if it is that exact model, but I do remember the fact it lit up so you could read it in the dark was a huge talking point. I think it cost around $20 and I'd get a new one every year or so.

Then I moved to a Citizen Windsurfer, and these days I just go by the sun in the sky.

When the time comes and I've got more money than sense (not a huge challenge, considering the limits of my sense) I'll have a nice analogue.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2008, 01:44:22 PM by Nomad »

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #4 on: January 19, 2008, 02:07:53 PM
Hi Dean, love that Sinn mate :D Here's what I wear, either the GW-500U;

Or a 1989 Tag Heuer Formula 1 on a NATO;

Next purchase will be either an Orange Monster or a SK009. Or another G-Shock, or a PAW-1300. Or something else... :D

C

Offline kreskin13

Reply #5 on: January 19, 2008, 02:09:51 PM
deano, what are you doing to me? Those watches are absolutely beautiful and your photography skills make me want to cry! You're going to make me start collecting watches now. :ahhh

I think analog watches are much better looking than digital but I need the alarms, timers, etc. that digital gives you. That's why I currently wear this one as it hooks up to your computer (blasted PC's only) and gives you even more flexibility.

http://www.timex.com/gp/product/B00029432K?timexBrand=core

Like they say, it's like a PDA on your wrist!

Calvin
[

fi Offline deano42

Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 04:04:19 PM
Lets see your watches...
Wonderful looking pictures and wonderful looking watches! Welcome to the forums.

I cannot help myself. The only time-telling instrument in my possession for years and years.  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

:P

But, since you're here now. Although I shudder at the though of the multi-tools I may miss by directing funds elsewhere I have been considering starting down the road to watch-nuttery myself. I'm curious about the hobby.

Do you ever buy a cheap knock-off watch just to test it against your higher-end watches? (We do this a lot with multi-tools.)

What are some good companies for the beginning collector to look into?

What's your EDC watch?

Hi Spoonrobot

:ahhh, I see you need to be converted back to a real watch.!  I would sort you out with a nice hand wound model, so you would have to wind it every day.   :D   :D

Regarding the cheap knock offs - No, I have never purchased one to compare, however there are forumers on the various watch forums who do.  Its surprising how far people will go to make fakes - and I am not even talking about Rolex, the Seiko 6309 (very iconic Seiko diver) has many many copies, go on ebay and you can spot them a mile away.!

Push come to shove my ultimate EDC would be one of these:

...they have it all.

However this is very nice:

Thanks
deano

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 04:33:31 PM
My favorite:

207092255.jpg
* 207092255.jpg (Filesize: 122.77 KB)
- Terry

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 10:16:33 PM
I also have one of these;
I'm back!!

Offline cortiz1679

Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 08:14:01 PM
I never got why people wanted expensive watches. I like getting a new 1 every year or 2. I don’t want to spend over $100 on a dress watch, or over $75 on a digital watch
I usually have a Fossil & a Timex. Maybe you guys can show me the light. Don’t get me wrong I like most of those watches I just cant justify spending more than $100 on a watch I wont want to wear in 2years

Offline yellowhammer

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2008, 08:19:39 PM
Another pic of today's present to myself :D Quick and dirty, but it shows the size.

Next job is to get it on an orange Zulu, then have it Yao-isised ;)
C

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2008, 10:08:20 PM
Nice watch Ian mate :), pretty cool tattoo too :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: January 25, 2008, 11:13:34 PM
Nice tattoo mate.  I am still trying to complete my sleave.  Mine's only black and white though.
I'm back!!

fi Offline deano42

Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 10:56:39 AM
I never got why people wanted expensive watches. I like getting a new 1 every year or 2. I don’t want to spend over $100 on a dress watch, or over $75 on a digital watch
I usually have a Fossil & a Timex. Maybe you guys can show me the light. Don’t get me wrong I like most of those watches I just cant justify spending more than $100 on a watch I wont want to wear in 2years

Thats an interesting observation.!

Watches, some folk just use their cell phone (like the post above), some folk are mad on them.!

Its just like any hobby it can be taken to extremes...

But one thing to note is that some watches can actually make you money (although most depreciate with time) - if you got a classic sub or SD for instance you would NEVER loose money on it (unless you have comepletely beaten it to death.!)

So in your case, if you spend $100 + $75 every two years = total $875 after 10 years...if you got a Rolex tomorrow for say $3600, you could sell it for more than that in 10 years, therefore not loosing money... its food for thought...

Thanks
deano

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 26, 2008, 11:09:00 AM

We wouldn't know anything about that here though.

Offline kreskin13

Reply #15 on: January 26, 2008, 11:40:29 AM

We wouldn't know anything about that here though.

I'm a perfect example of an extremist. A lot of people think that is a bad thing, but that's what makes it fun for me. When I get into something, and I change all the time, I usually go all out. I read everything I can, buy all the stuff and immerse myself totally in the hobby, collection, subject, whatever. Sometimes it's long term, sometimes not. If I drop something, I'll probably pick it up again later. I just hope I haven't sold all my toys associated with that hobby. :cry:

I think most people do this with things they are in to without even realizing it. To them their obsession is just normal and when someone says they are an extremist, they can get very defensive. >:(

The way I look at it is, "who cares"? Do what you want to do and how you want to do it because I certainly am going to! I don't understand why some people care so much about what other people are doing. Why do you care? Do your thing and let others do theirs.

WOW, that rant was almost as good as one of Nomads! Well, not really, the man is a legend. :D

Calvin
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 12:09:14 PM by kreskin13 »
[

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: January 26, 2008, 12:20:06 PM
To them their obsession is just normal and when someone says they are an extremist, they can get very defensive.

It's not an unhealthy, psychologically damaging addiction, I'm just thorough!

Offline kreskin13

Reply #17 on: January 26, 2008, 12:28:18 PM
To them their obsession is just normal and when someone says they are an extremist, they can get very defensive.

It's not an unhealthy, psychologically damaging addiction, I'm just thorough!

That's why we love you so! :ahhh

Calvin
[

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31