Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Where to buy EDC stuff in the USA?

Woz · 14 · 1264

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Where to buy EDC stuff in the USA?
on: January 07, 2012, 11:10:33 AM
Hi mates!

As I mentioned last year, I will visit the US of A this year. I'll be there in March/April. The plan is to visit NYC for 3-4days, and to spend 8-10days visiting some other places in reach. We will definitely visit Washington DC, the Niagara Falls and Boston, but if there are any other places nearby, there is enough time to visit them too.

While I'm quite sure what places I want to see, this is just 70% of my intention to go there. The rest is spending money on nice things, because, compared to Austria, US prices are insanely low. So, we plan to visit some Outlet centers, and my question is: Where can I get knives, tools and lights in a B&M store for a good price? I know Walmart, because it is often mentioned here. Is this a good place to look for Buck, Leatherman and Fenix stuff? Maybe Spyderco too?

You know, here in Austria it is very unlikely to find good knives in a mall. We have some small, speSmurfpillsed knife shops, but even them are rare to find. So, I do not know if it is any easier in the USA, maybe there are good quality knives everywhere, maybe I have to find a small store? I guess it is better to ask you, than to have to search hours and hours on my actual trip :-)

BTW: I like the look of Redwing Boots, they seem to be common in the USA but are very hard to find (and expensive, 300Euro minimum) here. Are they good, or just beautyful?

Thanks mates.
Woz
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Re: Where to buy EDC stuff in the USA?
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 03:23:17 PM
You can find a huge selection of knives, lights, multitools while you are in the US at stores like Bass Pro Shops, REI and Gander Mountain.  Most of these are within an hour drive from Washington, D.C. 

I hope you enjoy your trip to the US!  Welcome!

us Offline Pacu

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 04:20:53 PM
I hate to say try a Walmart but it's said   ::)

Target has a bit of a selection too. Academy Sports, Frys electronics.
:like:    :MTO:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 07:36:28 PM
I would recommend a side trip to Cabela's, if you can. There is one in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, about 3 hours form Washington DC.

In NYC your choices may be somewhat limited to what you can purchase due to a recent crackdown by the District Attorney against one hand opening blades.
But no trip to NYC would be complete without a stop at MastersmithS  :drool:

As well, like others have said, you can't beat Walmart and Target for prices (Target especially on their sale items).

Bass Pro Shops has a tremendous selection, but mostly at full retail prices (still better than Europe)
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 03:44:58 AM
I would recommend a side trip to Cabela's, if you can. There is one in Hamburg, Pennsylvania, about 3 hours form Washington DC.

This is absolutely recommended if your travels take you this way.  I had the opportunity to stop at the Cabela's in Hamburg and it was fantastic.  It's huge and you could probably spend half a day in there. :D

us Offline BlueDot

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 06:20:25 AM

This is absolutely recommended if your travels take you this way.  I had the opportunity to stop at the Cabela's in Hamburg and it was fantastic.  It's huge and you could probably spend half a day in there. :D

And half your budget too!     :-\
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 07:03:33 AM

And half your budget too!     :-\

but you'll have some sweet stuff and you'll be ready to take on the world! :salute:
Quality Control
Materials
Design

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 07:59:47 AM
Re: Outlet centers, woodsbury NY is close to NYC but very expensive (too many tourists), close to regular price unless you bump into a store sale. From what I hear the ones in Buffalo or Niagara Falls are much better price wise.

P.s. Niagara falls is best viewed from Canadian side, you don't get to see much from NY side.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 08:34:54 AM
Erick

us Offline 2xTap

• No Life Club
  • Slipjoint Fanatic!
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 08:50:15 AM
Woz,

Definitely try to get to a "Bass Pro Shop" if you can, huge selection of goodies to had at any one of them. Same for "Cabela's", as well as any "Gander Mountain". These three places are must visit places for you.

2xTap
Knives, Watches, and Flashlights are like Guns......you can never have too many!

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 09:49:24 AM
Oh man, Bass pro and Cabelas will sap up all your cash in a heartbeat!  Be sure to visit them, they are awesome!

Offline genewiseman

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 04:47:33 PM
Wal-mart gets much of their merchandise cheaper than other stores so a lot of the time the quality of their items is a little lower than the same item bought elsewhere. If I were traveling all the way from Europe, I would not waste my time at Wal-mart and stick to the other stores like Cabella's that cater to sportsmen. Just my opinion. 

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 06:46:50 PM
Wal-mart gets much of their merchandise cheaper than other stores so a lot of the time the quality of their items is a little lower than the same item bought elsewhere. If I were traveling all the way from Europe, I would not waste my time at Wal-mart and stick to the other stores like Cabella's that cater to sportsmen. Just my opinion.

Very true, and their selection is somewhat limited.  My Wally world only stocks 3 LM models: ST300, Fuse, Wave.  They stock 2 SAK's, and the rest is a mix of a few gerber models and Winchester crap.

The prices are higher than anywhere but Cabelas too.  I typically just buy my stuff online nowadays.  The Walmart SAK prices are actually pretty good but again mine only carries two models.

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 08:38:26 PM

Not really, sometimes they get special version that have corner cuttings and will be reflected on UPC code, but most of the time they are the same thing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%