Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knife Edge Tester Surprised by Vic Steel

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Knife Edge Tester Surprised by Vic Steel
on: January 07, 2012, 07:00:46 PM
Saw this recent video where the the tester becomes amazed and speechless:

Never underestimate the power of the fleece

us Offline Ashley

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • AKA Knife Crazied
Re: Knife Edge Tester Surprised by Vic Steel
Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:23:02 PM
That was a great watch.  :o Thanks for posting.  :tu:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 08:52:15 PM
It's funny to see his attitude change throughout the video.
  • To: "I can't believe it's still cutting" ???
  • Ending up with: "Who would have ever thought..." :o

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #3 on: January 07, 2012, 09:10:37 PM
Nice video, thanks for that.

Once for ounce, SAK's are probably the best value in a pocket knife people can have. Even though I like my medium size stockman pattern knives, SAK's are handier for the same amount of space. They are also a huge bargain at their price point for the quality people get. The quality control is something more knife makers should try to copy.

The steel, well it's an everyperson's steel. Holds a decent edge and can be brought back fairly easily as demonstrated. Heat treat and edge geometry will play significant roles in edge holding capabilities. Personally, I like Bucks 420HC, Vic's stainless, and also a well done 1095 carbon steel blade.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:21:20 PM
If you sharpen a few knives you realise that victorinox steel is not as soft as the supersteel brigade claims.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #5 on: January 07, 2012, 09:35:49 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and saying what I think. :D I've never been a steel knut and quite honestly people wishing for saks with high grade steels I'd like to :twak: I love saks just as they are. If you want a super steel get a tacticool folder and leave my saks alone! :rant: There I said it! :D

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #6 on: January 07, 2012, 09:38:59 PM
I'm going out on a limb here and saying what I think. :D I've never been a steel knut and quite honestly people wishing for saks with high grade steels I'd like to :twak: I love saks just as they are. If you want a super steel get a tacticool folder and leave my saks alone! :rant: There I said it! :D

+1 here.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline Singh

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 07, 2012, 10:22:25 PM

+1

Nice video, thanks for that.

Once for ounce, SAK's are probably the best value in a pocket knife people can have. Even though I like my medium size stockman pattern knives, SAK's are handier for the same amount of space. They are also a huge bargain at their price point for the quality people get. The quality control is something more knife makers should try to copy.

The steel, well it's an everyperson's steel. Holds a decent edge and can be brought back fairly easily as demonstrated. Heat treat and edge geometry will play significant roles in edge holding capabilities. Personally, I like Bucks 420HC, Vic's stainless, and also a well done 1095 carbon steel blade.

Mike

Well said, Mike.

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 12:52:21 AM
thanks for posting the video!
yeah, it is fun to hear how much he is astonished about what a sak can do :-)

another thing i need your help with, please: what is that thing he's got attached to the split ring?
i know what its for but i don't know the name. if any of you could provide a link it'd be very much appreciated.
thanks in advance.
cheers, marcus

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 12:55:56 AM
I was wondering the same thing marcus. :think: That would be super nice for pocket carry.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 01:03:55 AM

Offline HighlandPark

Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 03:01:01 AM
thank you very much, kind sir  :cheers:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 03:36:13 AM

us Offline New_World

• No Life Club
  • I EDC a cell phone
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 04:05:34 AM
victorinox is outstanding. always.
Quality Control
Materials
Design

us Offline Potassium Hydroxide

• KOH
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 05:37:29 AM
jdavis tests a lot of knives, so this is a very valid test.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 06:04:16 AM
Super Video!  Thanks for the Link  :salute:

Like I've said before, all things considered, Victorinox may have the best steel for a pocket knife, and there is plenty of history to back this up.  There are always tradeoffs, but for a general pocket knife Victorinox has a formula which works, and works very well.  They still have great value in their products, that's hard to find.  Opinel is one of the few others that seems to have really good value in their products when you look at the what's in the market.

ie Offline LooseNut

Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 05:06:07 PM

Well said!!
Fatherly advice;
Never take a laxative and a sleeping pill in the same night....

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 05:24:34 PM

:pok: so you are talking about all those people that bought the Damascus blade edition  ???  >:D
 :rofl:

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 06:31:08 PM

:pok: so you are talking about all those people that bought the Damascus blade edition  ???  >:D
I'll help out anyone who is not happy with the performance of they Damascus steel Victorinox knives.  I will find a suitable task for them, just send me a PM.

us Offline getahl

Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 06:35:18 PM
I completely forgot about their Damascus Pioneers. Is it actual damasteel, or merely their normal steel, but etched?

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #20 on: January 08, 2012, 07:03:44 PM

No I'm talking about the people who want 154CM S30V M4 M390 D2  :rant:  :rant:  :rant: :D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #21 on: January 08, 2012, 07:06:16 PM

No I'm talking about the people who want 154CM S30V M4 M390 D2  :rant:  :rant:  :rant: :D

Ahh, like they do with Leatherman...  >:D
 :P     :D
 :multi:

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #22 on: January 08, 2012, 08:11:13 PM

Ahh, like they do with Leatherman...  >:D
 :P     :D
 :multi:

Hey, hey! Don't be making fun of us poor Americans just because we can't match the fine Swiss engineering and build the perfect utility blade, but instead have to overcompensate with fancy steels.

:think: :think: :think:

You know when I write it down it does sound like we should be made fun of, never mind...
 :D

gb Offline Craig

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2012, 09:28:16 PM
I am constantly amazed at the value for money you get with a SAK  :)
Prone to daydreaming.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2012, 12:27:39 AM
Is it me or does the guy only use the front third for cutting the rope? And then he uses the back 2/3rds for cutting the paper? What is Vic steel in the hardness scale? I seem to remember 56?

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2012, 12:48:15 AM
Is it me or does the guy only use the front third for cutting the rope? And then he uses the back 2/3rds for cutting the paper?

I was thinking the same thing when I first saw it, but he makes a point in all his videos to cut the paper with the same part of the blade he is using on the rope. If you pause it in full screen you'll see that it is indeed the front third cutting the paper, but he holds the knife at such a steep angle (ostensibly to make sure the blade is doing the cutting, and he is not just forcing it through the paper) that it appears he is using a different part of the blade.
 :tu:

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #26 on: January 09, 2012, 01:07:44 AM
This vid pretty much sums up what I want from a knife. Reasonable edge retention, but more importantly ease of sharpening. I'll sacrifice retention over the ability to get a knife back up and running "on the go" anyday, which is why I've steered clear of the fancy steels for the most part.

It's really amusing to see the guy realise that feature has been right under his nose all the time from one of the biggest (and most overlooked IMHO) names in the knife world. By overlooked I mean in the eyes who see a SAK as a cheap and almost irrelevant alternative to the tacticool premium knives. I'll take a SAK, Sheffield made slippy, Case slippy or even my Byrd Tern over a super dooper fandango axis locking kryptonite bladed zombie skull smashing space age material scaled bank account wrecker with titanium liners anyday

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 09, 2012, 01:52:06 AM
++1 for me

nl Offline Waterlander

• Don't follow me, I'm lost too..
Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 04:59:34 PM
Feel good movie!  :popcorn:

gb Offline kitbeard

Reply #29 on: August 08, 2012, 06:28:46 PM
I couldn't agree more.  I've got a D2 Canal Street Canittler, a Russell pen knife with VG10 steel and a Fallkniven with what they call gold laminate powder steel(!).  They're good knives but I have knives with 1095 and 1070 carbon steel; SAK stainless; Sheffield stainless; Case CV and Trusharp; Buck 420HC; Rough Rider's 440A and a fair few other steels, and these are every bit as effective for my uses.  Every bit. They're also, as has been pointed out above, easy to sharpen and you don't have to send them back to the factory if you dull the edge or put up with owning a knife shaped object that can't quite cut air.  Steel snobbery is an unfortunate affliction and it's nice to see it being treated by application of a SAK.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%