Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Searching for a UK legal rescue tool

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Searching for a UK legal rescue tool
on: January 08, 2012, 11:06:21 AM
With the following functions:

serrated cutting edge
seat belt cutter
window breaker

And as the title says, something the police wouldn't bother you about even if they found it on you. Anything comes to mind?

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Re: Searching for a UK legal rescue tool
Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 12:01:11 PM
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 12:23:07 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, but wondering if something can give me a serrated edge as well. That's the difficult part I reckon, especially with UK knife laws.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:29:57 PM
The legal part is difficult. Everything that I could find fulfilling your criteria has a locking blade. Those without a locking blade don't have the glass breaker. If I was going to carry something, it would be this.

http://www.minitools.co.uk/products/victorinox/rescuetool.htm
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 12:50:52 PM
Again, thanks for the suggestion, but over the top for me. I hate redundancy, so I would pretty much only want the three functions I mentioned.

Something like this:

http://www.bladeplay.com/item--MTech-Emergency-Response--6950

Locking, would something like that still be considered a knife? Impossible to stab something with it...

:-\

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 01:01:32 PM
There's a great topic with a 4 rescue tool shoot out: http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=24248.0
They're not on the cheap side, I guess.

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 01:18:52 PM
Thanks for the link.

Hmm, maybe if I drop the need for a glass breaker (since you can improvise to fulfil that role, e.g. end of a SAK), a one piece tool could fulfil need for serrated edge and cutting hook.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 02:21:56 PM
Spyderco do a Slip joint Rescue knife based on the UKPK with a serrated knife but no glass breaker .

http://www.handyniknaks.co.uk/spyderco-knives-uk-penknife-rescue-spyderco-ukpk-c94gsor2-1020-p.asp

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 02:23:23 PM
no seat belt cutter though  :-\

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 03:13:41 PM
But if you have a blunt tip serrated blade is a dedicated seatbelt cutter that important ?

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 03:23:07 PM
That is an interesting point  :think:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 07:30:59 PM
I set a SOG PPP up with a elt cutter and SE blade.Theres a thread about it over in the SOG forum somewhere.It doesnt have a Glass breaker,but will have drivers and pliers.I suspect you could build a Boker rescue knife by rebuilding a Subcom42 with a Rescom blade.... :think:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: January 08, 2012, 07:38:47 PM
The boker rescom looks interesting  :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: January 08, 2012, 07:57:35 PM
The boker rescom looks interesting  :tu:

Handiniknaks do the Rescom,but it is a liner lock,where the Subcom42 is a slippie of sorts.Both blades have the same BB stoppers on them,hence my thoughts that they can be mated.Technically the Rescom is still not fully legal for EDC
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 08, 2012, 08:07:39 PM
i would hope though, that any law enforcement officer looking at the rescom blade would know its a rescue blade, and couldnt be used as a stabbing implement.

Dunno if the excuse would work that I am doctor, and as such, if I saw someone in an emergency situation, I may need to remove clothing to administer CPR, which is why I carry such a thing...

IzzyJG99

Reply #15 on: January 16, 2012, 11:20:31 PM
I'll add my two cents...

If you find a slip joint rescue knife which fills all your needs except the glass breaker? Buy a cheapo glass breaker equipped cheapo tool. Take off the metal point glass breaker. Heat it up and melt it into the plastic/polymer of the rescue knife. Or you can use an epoxy to glue it on.

gb Offline SharpScott

• New User
Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 07:46:47 PM
Dunno if the excuse would work that I am doctor, and as such, if I saw someone in an emergency situation, I may need to remove clothing to administer CPR, which is why I carry such a thing...

I wouldn't bet on it. Carry "just in case" isn't really deemed as the "good reason", work does constitute a good reason, but generally it has to be with other work tools or carried at the same time. So if you had your other equip and it was carried for work purposes you'd be OK. It has to be more of an aimed reason, so "I'm on my way to a job ...." or "I'm on call and I regularly have to cut off clothing/seatbelts/other" will probably be ok. Ultimately you have to persuade the LEO and if that fails a magistrate that you have your "good reason".

As it's a little grey unless you're at work I'd go for the sec.139 exemption, so a non-locking, pocket folding knife with a blade of <3 inch. Technically a seatbelt cutter requires "good reason" as it's a fixed blade and doesn't fold. I'm yet to hear of a case or see anything from the CPS (Public prosecutor) on such matters, but all it takes is a test case. That test case could be you.

Scott.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 07:51:36 PM by SharpScott »

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: January 19, 2012, 03:38:47 PM
 :-\

Thanks for the advice Scott.

So anything available very similar to the boker rescom, but that doesn't lock?

gb Offline SharpScott

• New User
Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:10 AM
The Spyderco UK Penknife Rescue C94GSOR2 or Spyderco UK FRN with a drop-point fully serrated blade may appeal to you.

Another option that you could do is to get a Spyderco Assist or Rescue (Lockback) and file the locking notch to make it a slipjoint. It's a good option and maybe a consideration. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you could probably find someone to have ago at it for you.

Although as I said, rescue hooks are technically illegal, I'm a little grey about it. I'm pretty sure you're not likely to get into any bother unless you've managed to do something silly with it. You'd be OK the majority of the time, and although not within the strict letter of the law, I cannot see a member of the medical profession getting into trouble over a rescue tool. I wouldn't worry about it. Carry a Israeli bandage with it and it'll looks fine to anyone being critical. It's kind of like someone being pulled up for carrying those child friendly scissors. Technically not within the letter of the law, but realistically, on the ground, not likely to attract attention.

It's up to you really. It depends how comfortable with being in a certain "grey" area you are. I really can't help you with that one, only offer suggestions to what you think.

Of course, you could go the custom route and have someone knock you up something very special and have an excuse for that to happen  :tu:

If you need anything else, feel free to shoot me a PM or whatever.

Scott

gb Offline Raukodur

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 08:17:00 PM
Again, thanks for the information. The thing about the boker rescom is that while it does what it is meant to do extremely well from the reviews I have read, it is so speSmurfpillsed, that it is hard to call the thing a knife. Its cutting edge is an inch, it has a rounded tip, and large overhang, so even if you wanted to, it seems it would be difficult to stab or slash someone with it.

If it didn't have its locking feature it would be perfect for the UK, but given the above, I would feel fairly confident carrying it even as is.

And try as I might, I cannot find an alternative that doesn't look more like a classical knife, and so cause more problems.

gb Offline SharpScott

• New User
Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 12:26:21 AM
Fair enough  :tu:

I have no experience or knowledge with the Boker SubCom lines, so I can't really offer any advice over mod options, however I'm sure it would be more than possible to adjust it to non-locking abilities.

Either way, I hope you get the right gear you need  :)

Scott.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD