Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Watch Out Stanley!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Watch Out Stanley!
on: January 09, 2012, 07:53:25 PM
Here's an interesting piece for you- most folks know by now I have a great interest in the old and odd, and how they contributed to multitool evolution, but this one actually had nothing to do with the evolutionary process, and yet it is a multitool.  How does that happen you may ask?  Simple- it's a promotional item from Stanley Tools.

In the world of evolution, this is more like a humanoid robot (think Bladerunner or Terminator) designed to simulate a multitool long enough to achieve it's intended purpose.  My speculation on this one is that it was a sales reward or promotional giveaway item rather than killing John Connor, so we should be safe enough!  :D

As with many of Stanley's modern day tools, this one is made in China.  Not a big deal to me, and it's at least as good as most discount China made multitools that you find, like Sheffield or Lansky.  The difference is that this one was not made to be used, so that bumps it up another notch in my mind and makes it better than the junk that is expected to be used.   ::)

Getting back to the tool itself though, it actually has some nice features, even if it really doen't have any tools inside.

The Stanley logo on the front and the ruler markings on the back are some of the most prominent engravings I have ever seen on a multitool.  I really wish some modern and/or higher end manufacturers would commit themselves as greatly to markings as this one- then I might actually use their rulers!

At just a little bit larger than Leatherman's Minitool the Stanley is little more than a desk toy.  It's neat, and the pliers could be useful for some basic tasks, but there's really nothing else to it.  There are holes in the handle where it looks like a pivot pin could be put, and a few small tools stuffed inside, but there are no indications that this one left the factory with anything more than it currently has.  Perhaps there's a similar model available that costs a bit more, but has a nail file, blade, bottle opener etc?  I have no idea.  I have never seen another one of these, and I only know of the existence of one other, but for now it's location must remain classified for the protection of it's owner and his loved ones!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Re: Watch Out Stanley!
Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 08:07:51 PM
I have seen you post this one before Def. Definitely in the weird and wacky category. I liked it then, and I still like it now for the same reasons you have stated.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:15:45 PM
Yes, this one is a definite oddity!  If I could find them in a promo catalogue somewhere I guarantee you there would be a Multitool.org version of it available!  :D

We'd probably splurge though, and get the extra stuff that goes inside of it!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 08:24:57 PM
I think its a very nice and unusual promotional item :tu: does the watch take batteries or is it wind-up and does it still work :think: oh and where about's is it again >:D
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 08:31:26 PM
Yes it takes batteries, but the battery in it is dead and has been since at least 12:30... :D

I believe it still works, unless something has corroded it inside- I've never opened it up to look, but the crown moves smoothly so that's a good sign.  As for where it is, it's locked up in the house of some crazy guy with big dogs and lots of weapons!  :P

Def

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 09:56:54 PM
That one's just silly!

I think I'd probably still keep it on a desk and use it as a clock though, just for the novelty value :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 11:04:56 PM
That's really about all there is for this one.  It's certainly not much of an EDC type unit, what with it really not having any functions!

Def

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:31:50 AM
Yes it takes batteries, but the battery in it is dead and has been since at least 12:30... :D

I believe it still works, unless something has corroded it inside- I've never opened it up to look, but the crown moves smoothly so that's a good sign.  As for where it is, it's locked up in the house of some crazy guy with big dogs and lots of weapons!  :P

Def

:D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:52:19 AM
Whoa whoa whoa! Hang on a second mister! :o Best not to operate that thing until you've read the instructions! :salute:

There, now you're qualified. :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 04:58:52 AM
Oh crap, I've been doing it wrong all this time!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:17:51 PM
What is its water resistance for swimming?
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 07:35:32 PM
I'm not certain I'd want to know why you want pliers when swimming!   :ahhh

My guess would be little to no water resistance.  It doesn't look like the panels are well sealed, so unless there's a hell of a gasket inside, I doubt this thing would pretty much be killed by the slightest amount of moisture.  Perhaps I should have called this thread "Watch Out Stanley, You might Get Wet!"  :D

Def

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 07:38:20 PM
That's an odd little thing alright..  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: January 10, 2012, 07:49:06 PM
Yeah, that's what she said.... wait, what?   :ahhh

It's been a lot of fun sharing some of these oddities in my collection with everyone.  One of the problems with collecting something like this is that no one around me appreciates them, and frankly, what good is a collection if you can't share it with like minded individuals?

Plus, these picture threads I've been doing lately have helped to centralize some of the info on some of these oddities, which may help someone in the future when they are looking for info on a specific model.

Def

us Offline Gadget Guy

• No Life Club
  • <*();::::::::;~
Reply #14 on: January 10, 2012, 07:50:49 PM
Odd for sure!   :D
Sometimes change is a good thing, other times not so much!

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #15 on: January 10, 2012, 07:55:06 PM
  One of the problems with collecting something like this is that no one around me appreciates them, and frankly, what good is a collection if you can't share it with like minded individuals?

I hear you, my wife's like this  ::) when I show her some new mindblowing collectable.. :D :D

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #16 on: January 10, 2012, 07:59:51 PM
Kind of OT but this brings to mind some very cool carbiners that feature digital watches (maybe chrono, etc).  I'm still on the lookout for one that suits my needs.
SAW

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: January 10, 2012, 08:08:50 PM
This is the only carabiner watch I have:

http://www.edcsource.com/auction_details.php?auction_search=1&auction_id=110471&option=basic_search&src_auction_id=&keywords_search=&buyout_price=&reserve_price=&quantity=&enable_swap=&list_in=&results_view=&country=&zip_code=&username=&basic_search=jeep

Neat watch, but never gets out of the package other than for a quick fondle.  I wear my MTO ZA1 most of the time, but my phone see's more timekeeping duty than anything else. 

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%