Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Fan Club.

Gareth · 202 · 36815

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Gerber Fan Club.
on: January 10, 2012, 11:03:08 PM
OK so Gerber comes in for a bit of stick here, but they've got a lot of very good MT's out there IMO.  So lets hear from you fans, and see some pics of course. :D

I'll kick it off with two of the mainstays of the Gerber line; the MP600 and MP400.

I also have the Clutch, but I'm not so sure I'm a 'fan' if I'm honest. :-[  It's not a bad tool at all, but Leatherman does it better with the Squirt I'd say.

Gerber also do a good, if basic, torch.  The Infinity Ultra.

So lets hear from some of Gerber's other fans. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Gerber Fan Club.
Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 12:00:14 AM
You forgot one of Gerber's coolest tools ever!

I am also a huge fan of the Infinity Ultra- I've beaten one of those for years working at the bar and it's gone through the wash on several occasions, and it still works.  Also, while it may not be that bright compared to other lights, the battery in it lasts forever.

The MP600 takes a slot as one of the most iconic multitools of all time, and while I think everyone is entitled to their opinions, anyone who disagrees with that statement is wrong.  :P

If I had to choose my favorite variant of the MP600, I'd have to say the Pro Scout:

The removable/replaceable saw blade is probably the best on the market- sorry Leatherman fans!  :P

Last but not least, while they have had their problems (cough cough Suspension cough) they have innovated some of the best ideas in the industry- the afore mentioned blade exchanger and replaceable carbide cutters for example.

Like Gerber or not, that's your choice, but you do have to respect their innovations.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 12:25:12 AM
The Infinity has become my 'stay-at-work' light, as it resides clipped to my desk tidy.  Rather than grabbing a bigger, brighter light from my bag I'll often just slip the Infinity in my pocket. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 12:29:10 AM
The Infinity has become my 'stay-at-work' light, as it resides clipped to my desk tidy.  Rather than grabbing a bigger, brighter light from my bag I'll often just slip the Infinity in my pocket. :tu:

I have to second the Infinity Ultra(-M model); I have one that is in my daily rotation.  Wonderful little light; I came home with a box of them from SMKW when they had them on closeout for $10/each; kinda wish I'd picked up more, heh.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 12:32:52 AM

I makes a perfect backup/emergency type light because the batteries last forever.  I've often heard that a flashlight is a place to store dead batteries, but if that's the case than mine must be defective!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 01:04:08 AM
Def
Have you had any issues with the saw? I bought several and none will fit.

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 01:11:04 AM
i dont carry nor do i own any (big) gerber tools. i find that there just not as usefull as a leahterman tool for me at work. i understand that's my opinion and it down to my work needs.

i would never say i hate gerber. there the tool company that thinks outside the box, there ideas have some drawbacks IMO but are different and clever. i love the idea behind the sliding plier head, its way cool  :D

i respect there tools and the people that carry them. if i had the money i would collect them but i dont think i would use them as much as a leatherman.

i do have a cluch though and that's a neat little tool. i do feel that leatherman do a better job with the squirt but it doesn't mean its not good in its own way.

-----5hif7y-----

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 01:16:24 AM
What Gerber lack in consistency it makes up for in innovation and having the guts to try something different.

Many times they have got things very wrong ... the "dead fly" springs to mind

This got sent on a passaround with Kirk13's mini suspension, and I hope it hasn't left a trail of injuries in it's wake. I'm sure that thing was sponsored by Elastoplast. As for my experience with some of their other offerings, I appreciate how important the multiplier was in the evolutionary cycle, but I can't bring myself to use mine for fear of a profanity overdose and terminally mangled palms. The Flik was ... well ... flikkin hopeless, or at least mine was. Great idea, shame about the excecution ... but every now and again ... they do come up with a real winner.

I know the MP700 doesn't seem to garner much attention round here, but I've found it to be an excellent everyday tool, and it's one of my most carried items. Outside opening tools with scissors, a 3D phillips and indexable cutters ... I'm continually surprised it wasn't more popular and got dropped from the line.

The MP600 is certainly iconic, but needed the help of an ugly bearded chap in a far away land to realise it's full potential  :P

:D

Gerber deserves the scepticism for their quality and consistency historically and indeed for some of their designs, but they also deserve recognition for some good gear which has been overshadowed by another company ... who actually accounts for the bulk of the tools I've gotten rid of in the search for something that works as well as the MP700!

I think the reasons for their failures is the same reason they've had some very successful innovations ... they're completely bonkers, and I'd have a pint with them anyday  :tu: :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 01:25:36 AM
I think the reasons for their failures is the same reason they've had some very successful innovations ... they're completely bonkers, and I'd have a pint with them anyday   

i totally agree. there ideas are crazy and sometimes crazy pays off. leatherman are great but they do play it safe at times.

a perfect example of leatherman playing it safe IMO is the rebar. the supertool300 has done well so they release it smaller.(dont get me wrong, i really want one  :D)

-----5hif7y-----

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 11, 2012, 01:28:00 AM
 the 600 is a great tool
 the 650 is even better
 the 800 is the best if you ask me. I have a hard time finding saws that fit but the saw works great. The pliers are nice and the tool load is good.
I also like the diesel
The freehand is okay and would better if not for the tool load

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:38:39 AM
Count me in. I like the odd ball items better than the run of the mill stuff.

The 650 Evolution and the 500 Recoil are the first two that come to mind for me.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 01:51:26 AM
I'm in. My MP450 is one of my most-used multis. The Octane is a great little tool for what I need, and my BO MP600 is just sweet.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Online David

Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 05:27:53 PM
My first MT was a Gerber BO Blunt nose Multi-Lock. That was stolen. Since the place I got it from no longer carried them I got the new MP600 w/needle nose and bit kit. It was my only MT for almost ten years. It served my well in that time.     :D
Gerber 015.JPG
* Gerber 015.JPG (Filesize: 48.77 KB)
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline WH867

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: January 12, 2012, 07:25:08 AM
My MP600 Bluntnose is still my most carried tool.  8)

these I don't carry

Dennis

us Online David

Reply #14 on: January 12, 2012, 08:16:37 AM
Those are   8)   Dennis.   :tu:  Some more Gerbers.
Gerber 018.JPG
* Gerber 018.JPG (Filesize: 48.97 KB)
Gerber 027.JPG
* Gerber 027.JPG (Filesize: 51.52 KB)
Gerber 035.JPG
* Gerber 035.JPG (Filesize: 48.38 KB)
Hold Fast

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #15 on: January 12, 2012, 12:36:14 PM
Like I said before, you can sign me up.  :D

us Online David

Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 05:20:30 PM
A few more Gerbers.    :)
004.JPG
* 004.JPG (Filesize: 34.32 KB)
Hold Fast

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 05:42:09 PM
Like I said before, you can sign me up.  :D

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

WOW, I can't believe how many MT's you have!   I have a modest collection and I think my wife mentally tallies it up when I show her my box of goodies, and I get a look.  If I had as many as you, I think I'd be killed.  I like your tool box tray system.  I have a plastic tackle box and its straining under the weight of the MT's.  I think I'll invest in a metal toolbox next.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #18 on: January 13, 2012, 12:31:30 AM
@Chako, thats an amazing collection you got there mate. whats in the other draws? leathermans? SAKS? or both?
-----5hif7y-----

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 02:16:58 AM
shif7y, both.

Here is a drawer by drawer look...the latest which dates last September. It is always growing.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,31422.msg521573.html#msg521573

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:57:46 AM
I have not been a huge fan of Gerber in the past, but I have to say I really miss my MP450.  I would love to have it back.  I am kinda starting to like the Gerber Multiplier design, and have acquired 2 this week with on hopefully coming next week or the week after.  I am gonna try to EDC them as much as possible to really get to know them and appreciate them for what they are.  I also have a SOG coming, a powerlock without gear covers.  I plan to carry that turd at work and see how it holds up.  I don't drive many screws at work so I don't see many angry red gear marks in my palm forthcoming.

I got a little nostalgic today, I was dickering with Stressmaster(wayne) about a trade and as an afterthought he added that he had an old Gerber that he was willing to toss me for my wares.  Turns out it is the same original non locking gerber that my dad had when I was a kid.  he gave it to me for a while, then he bought me a pst around 96 and I never touched a gerber again until last year.  I want that gerber back so wayne presented me with an awesome opportunity. 

The other Gerber I have gotten this week is a BO MP600 with carbide cutters.  It has to take a trip to Gerber because the serrated blade broke off while I was testing the knife and the carbide cutters are both chipped.  Other than that it's a steal for the $20 I am paying for it.  I really like the phillips head on it so far, and the knife blade is pretty cool, I like the flat edge.  Maybe these gerbers aren't all bad!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2012, 02:38:20 PM
Gerber never was bad.  They made a few bad tools because that's what the masses wanted- something cheap at Wal Mart.  Then they made clones of those bad tools because that's also what the paying public wanted.  The good Gerbers never went anywhere, they were just not celebrated as much as the cheaper ones, because a) the cheap ones were everywhere and b) everyone had something to complain about.

Meanwhile, the good tools were doing the hard jobs without fanfare or limelight simply because it needed to be done.  So, while a lot of people may condemn Gerber for the cheap tools, Gerber was actually having their cake and eating it too, supplying both end of the market- something I may add that Leatherman is trying to do this year with the Wingman and Sidekick.

Face it, Gerber may have it's drawbacks, but they are no slouch, and are probably responsible for more industry innovations overall than any other company on the market.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: January 13, 2012, 03:16:47 PM
I'd agree, and even though I've had my own issues with Gerber they really are still one to watch. I've had mixed results in terms of design and quality with them, though one thing that's stopped me buying many of their more successful items is my own personal preference for outboard tools. Otherwise I'd have far more of their MP400's and 600's.

Outboard tools is an area they have been very keen to explore, and I've tried three models so far. One was cheap garbage, one was a nice idea that wasn't followed through in QC, and the third was initially disappointing but the replacement was a roaring success for me. I've also had other stuff that's been excellent straight out of the box.

They still keep chucking out new stuff though, new ideas, good ideas - they just need to hang onto everything in R&D a little longer and resolve their consistency issues. Inspection, field tests and defect analysis should be done by them not us  >:D I know Gerber will always be chasing innovation and champions of new designs. I also know that if I buy one, sometimes I'll end up with a great tool. I feel like Gerber is going "Here guys, we made a load more - try these" to which I want to say "No, YOU try them, and then sell us the ones that work made to the same standard ".

I do like Gerber and they have a lot to offer, but my feelings today is that some of their stuff is like store bought axes and you have to rummage through a box to get a good one. If they can address that perception, and genuinely get some better consistency, they'll gain a lot more market share I reckon. When I know that when I pick up a Gerber it will be of a consistently good standard of manufacture (designs aside) like I can with other manufacturers, I'll certainly lean more in their direction as their designs are often far more abitious than any others out there

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2012, 03:37:34 PM
Gerber never was bad.  They made a few bad tools because that's what the masses wanted- something cheap at Wal Mart.  Then they made clones of those bad tools because that's also what the paying public wanted.  The good Gerbers never went anywhere, they were just not celebrated as much as the cheaper ones, because a) the cheap ones were everywhere and b) everyone had something to complain about.

Meanwhile, the good tools were doing the hard jobs without fanfare or limelight simply because it needed to be done.  So, while a lot of people may condemn Gerber for the cheap tools, Gerber was actually having their cake and eating it too, supplying both end of the market- something I may add that Leatherman is trying to do this year with the Wingman and Sidekick.

Face it, Gerber may have it's drawbacks, but they are no slouch, and are probably responsible for more industry innovations overall than any other company on the market.

Def

Very good point about Leatherman.  I understand the practice, I just can't stomach the result too well.  I don't care for the Wingman and sidekick any more than the crucial.  But, if they are making the companies money so they can stay in business and keep making tools I DO like then so be it.  I am starting to realize that the good gerbers were always there, and I am just discovering how useful and cool they really are.  It's like discovering MT.o all over again!  Tons of fun with many many models to buy and look forward to using.  Like I said, two new gerbers this week with more coming if I can help it!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2012, 03:45:04 PM
Here's another point worth looking at- everyone craps on the Crucial and rightly so, but the Crucial FAST is actually a good tool.  While the ergonomics haven't changed, the assisted opening blade, better materials and longer drivers actually put the FAST version quite far ahead of the original Crucial.

Al- I agree and disagree with your points about quality control.  I find that to be accurate for some of the low and mid point tools from Gerber, but I have rarely seen an MP600 or 400 with factory defects.  Most of the time when I encounter a broken one it's because it was used for a job above it's abilities, which to me, speaks volumes about the inherent quality and feel that caused someone to think it could handle an extreme job.  Now getting into the more involved tools, like the MP700, MP800, Diesel and Flik where they are somewhat more complex, yes, for those I will agree with your point, although I'm not certain the number of bad ones is as high as you are suggesting.  I think you have been extremely "lucky" to have gotten as many bad ones as you have, although in your situation I'd probably feel much the same as you do.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 13, 2012, 04:05:31 PM
Yeah, I've seldom heard anything bad about the MP's quality - unsuitability of design maybe, but thats personal preference and like I say if it wasn't for my own preferences I'd own a lot more. All my disappointments were indeed on tools which had extra complexity, or where they were trying new concepts. I wasn't a fan of the Solstice for example - but it was bloody well made from what I could tell. My only experience of the MP400's and 600's is a DET which I tweaked a bit, but I got the feeling they'd be good dependable tools for many people

For the benefit of all I'd like to clarify that I've not been trying to "preach" here in any way, just vocalise my experience and share what would make a positive change to my own personal perception. I'll continue to keep trying Gerbers as they do keep pushing the boundaries and trying new concepts, but from my own perspective I would like to see a better success rate in quality. I generally have confidence in their designs, and I want to have the same confidence in manufacture when I try something new from them  :salute:

Personally I see the delay in the release of the Balance as a step in the right direction. Something obviously wasn't ready for market - so they didn't let it out. Good on ya Gerber  :tu: I'm really looking forward to hearing what you find out on that at the show  ;)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: January 13, 2012, 04:22:29 PM
The day anyone craps on someone else's actual hands on experience on this site is the day after I've folded up shop and started a Hello Kitty website.

When it comes to complexities in tools I think Gerber does indeed have some issues- the pawls on the Flik are a good example.  They seem like an overly complex solution to a reasonably simple problem no one knew they had.  This can lead not only to assembly issues but can even go as far back as component manufacturing issues since I believe Gerber contracts these out.  If they were made in house by people who were on the process from start to finish I think we'd see a marked difference in not only the simplicity but also the reliability of these tools.

That makes the frustrating sometimes, but not bad- I love my Flik, despite it occasionally locking up on me.

Def

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 13, 2012, 05:48:20 PM
The day anyone craps on someone else's actual hands on experience on this site is the day after I've folded up shop and started a Hello Kitty website.

:D

The pawls seem such a ridiculously easy issue to fix too. I'm sure making them from a one piece construction rather than two stacked pieces would greatly improve it - and make assembly easier and quicker to boot. Aside from that, I actually like the fact they added a feature to widen the grip slightly - when it works it does make the tool better to use in my mind.

An easier way altogether may have been to make the channels along which the plier heads slide to be slightly out of parallel. In other words theres room between the handles for the pliers when retracted, but not in the deployed position. As such when the mass of the heads moves towards deployment, the handles would be forced apart. This would mean that you would have to only hold one handle during the "flick" or the heads would not move - but in order to quickly deploy the Flik heads (slide forward and engage pawls in one move) you have to do the same thing anyway. The Spidie-drop style move by depressing the buttons and flicking the tool down away from the pliers would work too with less chance of letting go of the tool and smacking Granny in the face with it.  :D :D There are a couple of minor tweaks you would need to do for this to work smoothly (slightly crown radius the seating inside the channel to compensate for changes in presentation angle on the two positions for one), but still simpler than the big bag of bits I sent to Metropolicity :D :D

... but at least they tried  >:D

... and I think I'm still the Forum's biggest fan of the MP700  :D

... and as soon as a way of replacing the Octane blade with scissors is figured out I'm having one of those too  :rofl:

... put me down as a "tormented" fan  :P

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #28 on: January 13, 2012, 06:26:46 PM
Here's another point worth looking at- everyone craps on the Crucial and rightly so, but the Crucial FAST is actually a good tool.  While the ergonomics haven't changed, the assisted opening blade, better materials and longer drivers actually put the FAST version quite far ahead of the original Crucial.

Al- I agree and disagree with your points about quality control.  I find that to be accurate for some of the low and mid point tools from Gerber, but I have rarely seen an MP600 or 400 with factory defects.  Most of the time when I encounter a broken one it's because it was used for a job above it's abilities, which to me, speaks volumes about the inherent quality and feel that caused someone to think it could handle an extreme job.  Now getting into the more involved tools, like the MP700, MP800, Diesel and Flik where they are somewhat more complex, yes, for those I will agree with your point, although I'm not certain the number of bad ones is as high as you are suggesting.  I think you have been extremely "lucky" to have gotten as many bad ones as you have, although in your situation I'd probably feel much the same as you do.

Def

I have never handled a crucial FAST, but I'd like to.  The only crucial I've touched is a base model at cabelas and I didn't even care to buy it even for fun.  But like I said, the MP's I've handled lately have really impressed me.

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 06:51:11 PM
I've posted pics of my Gerbers in other threads, but here's the latest bunch of keychain tools.. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%