Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Fan Club.

Gareth · 202 · 36814

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Gerber Fan Club.
Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 07:30:04 PM
Hey Bob, someone hasn't bothered to take that nasty sticker off the SHOT one. ::)  :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 07:32:46 AM
Hey Bob, someone hasn't bothered to take that nasty sticker off the SHOT one. ::)  :D

It`s been 16 years already. What`s the hold up?    :pok:   :D    :D
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #62 on: January 22, 2012, 09:36:54 PM

It's on my to-do list ::) :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 07:39:21 AM

It's on my to-do list ::) :D

You know Bob some of those old stickers just don`t want to come off.    :D     :D
Gerber MP 025.JPG
* Gerber MP 025.JPG (Filesize: 49.42 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #64 on: January 25, 2012, 03:51:46 AM
I hear you David :salute: Not sure what type of adhesive they used back then, but it was wicked! :o :D :D

Nice old blunt nose by the way. That was from the last series they did before switching to the Multi-Lock aka MP600 :salute:
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #65 on: January 25, 2012, 04:03:31 AM
There's just something classic about the old sliding head plier tools.   :drool:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #66 on: February 07, 2012, 06:57:56 PM
Well I finally got my hands on an Octane the other day and have been putting it through it's paces.  My thoughts are....mixed. :-\ 

First, the good:
#This is my first MT that I'm actually happy to carry pocket carry with a clip, it's slim enough not to feel bulky in there.
#One of the first combo edges that I like, the serrated section is small and quite aggressive but there is plenty of plain edge to work with.

Next, the not so good.
#This has to be the grittiest tool I've ever pulled out of a package, it feels like it was assembled on a beach.  A bit of work with some oil on all the moving parts and it's fine, but it's not something I feel I should have needed to do.
#The Phillips was just awful, the angle of the flanges on the head were so obtuse that it just didn't fit in any screws (i.e it just wasn't 'pointy' enough).  I'm confident that this was a factory error with my particular tool and not a design defect, I also managed to get it into working order with a diamond stone, but again there's no reason I should have had to do this myself.  The small screwdriver was also so heavily ground that it was an awl rather than a 'driver, and the large 'driver was too thick to fit in anything reasonable.  All sorted now, but problems with all three screwdrivers? :(

Hopefully this has been a Friday afternoon 'special' and isn't a good example, certainly most of the reading I've done about it has been more positive about the screwdrivers than I have been. 

Now that it's working I'm OK with it, but the work I had to do has possibly coloured my opinion into something more negative than it really deserves.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #67 on: February 07, 2012, 11:10:25 PM
Nice to know it's not just me that knows how to pick a duff 'un  :pok: :pok: :P

I should have one too in a few weeks so fingrs crossed mine will be a little more refined  ;)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #68 on: February 07, 2012, 11:14:07 PM
Odd, I haven't had any of those problems with mine.  The screwdrivers were all fine when I used them and there wasn't any "gritty" feel to it, although I have had that problem with other Gerber tools in the past.  Maybe Gerber needs to hire a new janitor?

Now that the problems have been solved I'm interested in hearing about your experiences with it.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #69 on: February 08, 2012, 12:44:16 AM
That sucks, Gareth! The Octane is one of my favorite tools, it's been nothing but a positive experience using it. Hope you have better luck now that you've straightened it out a bit!
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #70 on: February 08, 2012, 05:39:25 PM
I have 5 Gerbers in my collection and I do like them although I must admit they are never my first choice tools to use. In order of date of purchase; Black Oxide Flik, Vise and Splice (twin pack), Multiplier, Bear Grylls Ultimate MT.

The Flik has seen the most use as I do like the outside tools and especially the scissors, perhaps my favourite pair on any MT along with the SwissTool's. I don't get on too well with the BG. I find it excessively bulky for the size of the tools and it aint too comfy either.

The Vise lives in a survival tin as part of a survival kit. I always have my PS4 on me but when out the in hills or woods its nice to know I have another set of mini pliers in my survival kit.

The Splice lives in a first aid kit. Scissors are an important part of any FAK and having a pair with additional tools is a bonus. The Splice's scissors are very good and the spring is strong.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #71 on: February 08, 2012, 06:33:25 PM
that's a nice little collection Colin. :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #72 on: February 08, 2012, 06:52:21 PM
An interesting piece of info that we always suspected about the BG Suspension/Ultimate MT:

It seems that it was not one of Bear's choices, but one thrown in as it was the easiest one to modify to fit in the BG lineup in the short amount of time they had to get the series ready. 

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #73 on: February 08, 2012, 06:59:44 PM
Nice to have that confirmed. :)  I wonder if it'll get dropped now that he's got his name on the modified Strata?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #74 on: February 08, 2012, 09:18:08 PM
No idea, but I imagine so.  Gerber is well aware of the flaws in the Suspension and its clones, but it was hard to drop them when big box customers kept throwing cash at them and demanding more.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

scotland Offline colinoutdoors

• Colin
Reply #75 on: February 09, 2012, 03:32:37 PM
that's a nice little collection Colin. :tu:

Cheers Gareth  :cheers:. A couple more Gerber's I would like to add in the future would possibly be the Grappler and Dime.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #76 on: February 09, 2012, 03:56:26 PM
I've got Dimes on the way and been intrigued by the grappler too - but that will have to wait. I really liked the Flik's scissors too, but wish they'd shrunk the plier head a bit to allow for better/longer drivers. The locking pawls killed it for me though. Mine didn't work properly and it put me off the model altogether ... and the Freehand.

I have a Octane on the way, and really looking forward to that. I've also found myself looking at the BG Strata too  :ahhh :ahhh but I can't even consider that unless I start unloading other stuff first. I'm hoping that's just a passing whim  :-\

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #77 on: February 18, 2012, 06:55:38 PM
Well I got a Multi-Plier in from 50ft this morning and I got so say I love it. :tu:  Sadly I got this one in for a friend and have to pass it on. :-\  In fact I'd be tempted to say this one got "lost in the post" if I didn't know this meant a lot to him. :angel: ;)  His got stolen a good few years ago and he's never found anything he liked more so is over the moon that this is coming to him. :)

Even with just playing with it for half a day I can easily see how this tool earned to reputation as a palm pincher. :o  The build quality is excellent though and I really like the blunt nose pliers so I'm definitely going to keep an eye open for one for myself. :)

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #78 on: February 18, 2012, 07:23:09 PM
I must admit it took quite a while for me to decide to sell it mate. It's rugged and well built, good tool choices, an awl that screams "step aside I'm coming through", a nicely done finish that's just starting to wear itself in, a proper plain edged blade and serrated blade - no combo nonsense .... but when those handles get you it bloody HURTS!!!  :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :rofl:

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #79 on: February 18, 2012, 09:33:30 PM
(Image removed from quote.)

Dang, how on earth did I miss that was for sale Al..? :ahhh 
Read my lips: Do-not-let-it-go-Gareth.!  :pok: :pok:

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #80 on: February 18, 2012, 10:46:49 PM
Nice! :tu: That is an early model you have Gareth, with all button-head screws, and the big pivot nut for the pliers. :)  And am I correct in seeing the PATENT PENDING stamping on the blade backspring?

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #81 on: February 18, 2012, 10:51:17 PM
Nice! :tu: That is an early model you have Gareth, with all button-head screws, and the big pivot nut for the pliers. :)  And am I correct in seeing the PATENT PENDING stamping on the blade backspring?

yes indeed. :tu:

Sorry mate, but it's already promised to another.  Besides, if I kept it it would only end up as a user anyway. :D

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #82 on: February 18, 2012, 10:58:15 PM

Sorry mate, but it's already promised to another.  Besides, if I kept it it would only end up as a user anyway. :D
You're a better man than me Gareth..   ;) >:D
 I just really have a thing for those old Gerbers, if you didn't know..  :D :D

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #83 on: February 18, 2012, 11:04:30 PM

It was certainly born to be a user that one mate - a user for someone with a high pain threshold  :rofl:

Sorry Allan, I have a nasty habit of liberating tools from captivity to let them have a healthy active life  :P besides, it never made it to the "listing" stage. The way you and Bob were talking I almost wished I'd kept ... nah who am I kidding ... it HURT!  >:D  :D :D :D

EDIT: Forgot to add, I've replaced it this end with a MPT from Badwolf, which I'm very happy with  :tu:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 11:56:04 PM by 50ft-trad »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #84 on: February 19, 2012, 02:27:35 AM
I like the MPT- it's kind of the gangly, awkward little brother of the PST forced to live in it's shadow.  For some reason I think I associate with it better!   :whistle:

Def

us Offline David

Reply #85 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:52 AM
Reckon that`s a nice one Gareth. Your friend should really like it.   :tu:   Here is how it might have looked if it originally came in a clam package.    :)
GerberBOMP 005.JPG
* GerberBOMP 005.JPG (Filesize: 80.72 KB)
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #86 on: February 19, 2012, 10:20:07 AM
Cheers for that David. :cheers:

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #87 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55:25 PM
Well I finally got my hands on an Octane the other day and have been putting it through it's paces.  My thoughts are....mixed. :-\ 

First, the good:
#This is my first MT that I'm actually happy to carry pocket carry with a clip, it's slim enough not to feel bulky in there.
#One of the first combo edges that I like, the serrated section is small and quite aggressive but there is plenty of plain edge to work with.

Next, the not so good.
#This has to be the grittiest tool I've ever pulled out of a package, it feels like it was assembled on a beach.  A bit of work with some oil on all the moving parts and it's fine, but it's not something I feel I should have needed to do.
#The Phillips was just awful, the angle of the flanges on the head were so obtuse that it just didn't fit in any screws (i.e it just wasn't 'pointy' enough).  I'm confident that this was a factory error with my particular tool and not a design defect, I also managed to get it into working order with a diamond stone, but again there's no reason I should have had to do this myself.  The small screwdriver was also so heavily ground that it was an awl rather than a 'driver, and the large 'driver was too thick to fit in anything reasonable.  All sorted now, but problems with all three screwdrivers? :(

Hopefully this has been a Friday afternoon 'special' and isn't a good example, certainly most of the reading I've done about it has been more positive about the screwdrivers than I have been. 

(Image removed from quote.)

Now that it's working I'm OK with it, but the work I had to do has possibly coloured my opinion into something more negative than it really deserves.

My Octane landed today, and it's pretty much as yours Gareth. It's going to need a little refining but I think this will be a winner when it's done. I also agree with your thoughts on the CE blade

I also (because it's spoken about quite a bit on here) paid attention to the "premature deployment" issue a few folks have had. On mine at least the pliers seem happy to reside in the body of the tool, and a good flick is needed for them to appear, but a couple of times I have noticed the action of drawing the tool from the pocket has deployed them, as if the toggles caught on the seam of my pocket rather than the plier heads sliding out in my pocket itself

The pliers themselves are a little stiff too, but I'm sure they'll free up a bit after some use. Now it's time to ponder the scissors issue though :think: :think: :think:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #88 on: March 01, 2012, 07:12:44 PM
I've had some problems with 'premature deployment" :-[  (oo-errrr....) but it doesn't happen all the time. :think:  Certainly I've caught it on my pocket as you describe and I've no issue with that, but I've definitely had it work it's way nearly open when it my pocket.

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 10:34:41 PM
After some testing I can now say the Octane's bottle opener is brilliant!!! Almost worth buying the tool for on it's own. Oh, hang on ... I did  :P

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD