Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Fan Club.

Gareth · 202 · 36812

au Offline MultiMat

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • The MTO handshake.
Re: Gerber Fan Club.
Reply #90 on: March 04, 2012, 02:10:45 AM
Those early Gerbers are very cool & you do not see many BO versions  8) 8) 8).

My Octane is a shocker for deploying the pliers when using the pocket clip & having the whole thing open in my pocket  ??? ??? , I got around it by using a releasable cable tie around the handles , I LOVE reusable cable ties , bloody handy. My only other gripe with my Octane was the linner lock does seem a little springy when the blade is locked  :think: :think: :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #91 on: March 04, 2012, 02:26:08 AM
I love the bottle opener on the Octane, and I'm surprised that design hasn't been incorporated into more models.  It allows the design to save space inside that could be used to house another tool.  I like the fact that it takes no extra space and doesn't get in the way, plus it's always accessible.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 08:58:37 AM
The bottle opener is indeed excellent. :tu:  I have to say that, despite all bad press, my Octane actually has a very tight lock-up.  OK, it's not exactly a Chris Reeve frame lock, but it locks nicely in place with only the tiniest bit of lateral play. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #93 on: March 20, 2012, 08:35:07 PM
Just got in my MP450.  I have to say it's generally very nice though the tools are all quite a bit tighter than the one's on my (well used) MP400.  Much nicer than the gritty pivots that I got on my Octane and just a tiny drop of oil will see them right I think. :cheers: 

Stealing one of Dunc's pics for a second; my older MP400 has a blade shaped like the one on the right, the newer MP450 has a blade shaped like the one on the left.
Gotta say my first impressions are that I like the older shape more, but time will tell if I'm being unfair.

Oddly, though the only difference between the 450 and 400 is that one has a file and the other scissors, the components are in really quite a different order. :think:  I'd try and explain but I think I'll take some shots later and just show you, it'll be a lot clearing in the long run. :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:27:03 PM by Gareth »

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #94 on: March 21, 2012, 01:12:01 AM
Yeah, I was a bit confused by the MP450 as well Gareth. Its a great tool and all, but there's not enough differences between it and a 400 to justify its own "450" label IMO.

They should have just called it an MP400B or MP400.1 or something like that.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #95 on: March 21, 2012, 01:23:14 AM
Yeah, I was a bit confused by the MP450 as well Gareth. Its a great tool and all, but there's not enough differences between it and a 400 to justify its own "450" label IMO.

Exactly.  Just think how many variations are called MP600, and yet change one tool on a MP400 and it gets a whole new name. ???

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #96 on: March 21, 2012, 01:33:49 AM

Exactly.  Just think how many variations are called MP600, and yet change one tool on a MP400 and it gets a whole new name. ???

I've been thinking the same thing.  Odd that the shared tools between the 400 and 450 are in a different order, I wonder why? :think:  I don't have a 400 at the moment, just a 450, and I do love it.  I'd have to say it's my most carried tool.  If I don't have a plier tool on me though, an MP600 usually rides in my bag.  Just got this one yesterday from Captain Spaulding:

It's kinda stiff, I doubt that it's been used at all actually.  Beautiful shape, I gotta play with it a bit and loosen it up.  I like the blunt nose pliers as well, the plier head seems much more massive than the needle nose.
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline David

Reply #97 on: March 21, 2012, 06:06:03 AM
I really like the 450 and have even been using it at work. Like the the rest of you I can understand the change to 450. Seems like 400F might have been better. Has the 450 been disco`d?
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #98 on: March 21, 2012, 05:53:49 PM
I like the wharnie blade on the newer models.  Very useful and easy to sharpen.

us Offline David

Reply #99 on: March 22, 2012, 06:02:12 AM
I always liked a clip or drop point more than a wharnie. But have to admit I dont mind it on an MT as it is not my primary blade.
Hold Fast

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #100 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12:21 PM
I always liked a clip or drop point more than a wharnie. But have to admit I dont mind it on an MT as it is not my primary blade.
'

That is exactly why I like it on the MP600.  My MT blade is almost always my backup blade because I always have a SAK on me as well.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #101 on: April 12, 2012, 05:00:32 PM
I do not know if I am a Gerber Fan, but having received my MP600 today I decided to post some pictures. Seems unused to me.

It came with a nice leather sheath and the price was too low for me to resist...

I also have the dime  :( and the Steady  :).
IMG_7985.JPG
* IMG_7985.JPG (Filesize: 176.39 KB)
IMG_7986.JPG
* IMG_7986.JPG (Filesize: 150.83 KB)
IMG_7989.JPG
* IMG_7989.JPG (Filesize: 149.57 KB)
IMG_7984.JPG
* IMG_7984.JPG (Filesize: 162.39 KB)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 05:02:10 PM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline David

Reply #102 on: April 12, 2012, 06:16:09 PM
Good Gerber there dks. Reckon the blunt nose MP600 is one of my most favorite heavy duty MT`s.
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #103 on: April 12, 2012, 06:37:39 PM
Really like the look of that leather sheath as well mate. :tu:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #104 on: April 12, 2012, 06:45:17 PM
Thanks to both!  :tu:

I was dissapointed the seller did not have a Gerber branded sheath but this one that came with it fits it like a glove.. probably worth more than the MP600..  :P

The Gerber is rattly but feels solid; more than the dime   :D

The only weird thing is getting the tools out; they are on the inside and you can not get them out easily by turning the handles around like  you would do with e.g a LM St300 (from which they borrowed the cutters too..  :rofl:) since the handles are fixed in that position.

You feel like there is not enough space to get them out.

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #105 on: April 12, 2012, 06:52:33 PM
Thanks to both!  :tu:

I was dissapointed the seller did not have a Gerber branded sheath but this one that came with it fits it like a glove.. probably worth more than the MP600..  :P

The Gerber is rattly but feels solid; more than the dime   :D

The only weird thing is getting the tools out; they are on the inside and you can not get them out easily by turning the handles around like  you would do with e.g a LM St300 (from which they borrowed the cutters too..  :rofl:) since the handles are fixed in that position.

You feel like there is not enough space to get them out.

::) Next Gerber will be copying LM's blade exchanger and sliding head design. ;)

As to the tools, you'll get used to it if you give it a chance.  Totally second nature to me now I've carried a MP400/600 a lot.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #106 on: April 12, 2012, 06:58:48 PM
 :rofl:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #107 on: April 12, 2012, 10:28:00 PM
Nice one, dks.  :tu:  I was carrying my blunt nosed MP600 today.  I got it the same way, "used", which maybe meant the pliers were flicked open once or twice.  The sheath you got is nicer than mine though... :(
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline David

Reply #108 on: April 18, 2012, 04:46:07 AM
Here`s a blunt nose Pro Scout I found not to long ago. Never had seen one with blunt nose before.
Gerber MP600 BN Pro Scout 004.JPG
* Gerber MP600 BN Pro Scout 004.JPG (Filesize: 45.44 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #109 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:45 AM
These BO Multi-Plier versions filled in some gaps. The one on the left is a fourth version with a second version plier head.    :think:
GerberMP 015.JPG
* GerberMP 015.JPG (Filesize: 49.77 KB)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 05:18:05 AM by David »
Hold Fast

us Offline David

Reply #110 on: April 18, 2012, 05:33:21 AM
Gerber MP600 Fisherman. Its kinda odd but I like it. I`m thinking since it has an awl and diamond file one might change the plier head and have a better working MT.    :D
GerberMP600Fisherman 012.JPG
* GerberMP600Fisherman 012.JPG (Filesize: 48.37 KB)
Hold Fast

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #111 on: April 18, 2012, 07:59:19 AM
Cheers for sharing David. :cheers:  Funnily I was just thinking about getting a Pro Scout yesterday, but couldn't see any particularly great deals ATM. :-\  I'm wondering if you've used the blade exchanger much and if you rate it?

us Offline David

Reply #112 on: April 18, 2012, 11:44:12 PM
Gareth I packed around my old Pro Scout for years and never really used the blade exchanger much. But I hope to give it a better work out in the future.

Here is a shot of a Gerber TrailRider
GerberTrailrider 035.JPG
* GerberTrailrider 035.JPG (Filesize: 90.36 KB)
Hold Fast

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #113 on: April 20, 2012, 04:14:33 PM
Gareth I packed around my old Pro Scout for years and never really used the blade exchanger much. But I hope to give it a better work out in the future.

Here is a shot of a Gerber TrailRider

David is that some kind of hoof pick  :think: :think: ??? :think: :think: , how does that fold back into the handle  :think: :think:. Does it have any other odd tools in it mate  :think:

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline David

Reply #114 on: April 20, 2012, 06:47:22 PM
Here is a pic of it hoof pick folded up into the handle. The Trailrider also has an awl and scissors.
camoCharge-MP600TR 025.JPG
* camoCharge-MP600TR 025.JPG (Filesize: 71.01 KB)
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #115 on: April 22, 2012, 05:02:44 PM
Congrats on scoring the Trailrider version David! :tu: Those don't come along very often these days. Like Mat wonders though, too bad they didn't have some other neat horse hoof related tools on them, like a stud wrench perhaps....

...or a hoof knife.

With such a limited niche market, I suspect they didn't make many of them. :think:

(Image removed from quote.)

These BO Multi-Plier versions filled in some gaps. The one on the left is a fourth version with a second version plier head.    :think:

More nice ones! :cheers: Yes, I've seen a few where they have mixed components from one generation with another. Makes it dang difficult to keep them all sorted properly :P
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 05:04:33 PM by J-sews »
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline David

Reply #116 on: April 23, 2012, 07:14:51 AM
Bob I remember back in the day A.G.Russell use to carry the Trailrider. I kept thinking I needed to get one. But since I hadnt saddled a horse since 95 and still havent I never got around to getting one till all these many years later. I still have no need for it but I sure do like having one in the collection.   :D 
Hold Fast

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #117 on: April 24, 2012, 02:37:05 AM
Bob I remember back in the day A.G.Russell use to carry the Trailrider. I kept thinking I needed to get one. But since I hadnt saddled a horse since 95 and still havent I never got around to getting one till all these many years later. I still have no need for it but I sure do like having one in the collection.   :D

Agreed! :D

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #118 on: May 09, 2012, 07:27:06 PM
Here`s a blunt nose Pro Scout I found not to long ago. Never had seen one with blunt nose before.
Well I see your MP600 Pro Scout Blunt Nose and raise you a MP600 Pro Scout Blunt Nose with replaceable cutters.

;)

Seriously though, I still love it that Gerber will do so many little changes/options on one tool. :tu:  Now, if only they still did the "build your own" service. :dd:
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:58:10 PM by Gareth »

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #119 on: May 09, 2012, 07:52:20 PM
Those pliers..  :o :o Looks like a real workhorse Gareth..  8)  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79