Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cutting Wheels

gb Offline MurphyBrown

Cutting Wheels
on: January 13, 2012, 12:43:22 PM
I'm going to have a go at making my own version of the P7 Suspension Clip, i've got an old stainless steel hip flask (was given to me, but i don't drink alcohol), that i thought would make a good donor for the material.  My question is what are the best cutting wheels to use in a dremmel type machine.  I've got the "Clarkes" version http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/crt40-40pce-rotary-tool-kit, of the Dremmel.  The cut off wheels it came with are great for mild steel, Aluminium e.t.c. but they last no longer than maybe 30 seconds on stainless steel.

Just wondering if there is anything specific that other people use for stainless steel. :tu:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:05:12 PM by MurphyBrown »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Cutting Wheels
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2012, 07:36:07 PM
MB,
I just use the cheap little wheels that explode every few minutes  :o

I think the steel might be too thin on a flask but I might be wrong,  :-\  So good luck!  :tu:

I have made a couple in the past from second hand spoons from the charity shop and you have probably seen the ones Farmman (I think   :think: ) made from brass hooks?

:cheers:
Everything’s adjustable

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 09:30:35 PM
Diamond dust coated dremel bits. :D

gb Offline MurphyBrown

Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 11:29:36 AM
Thans for both of those suggestions.  Diamond coated looks like they might do the job, or at least last longer than the standard ones.

Any more info or links to the suspension clips made by members from here would be great, might give me a few more ideas before i start on the flask.

gb Offline Farmman

Cutting Wheels
Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 12:00:49 PM
Yes it was me making them out of brass gate hooks from B & Q. I have just got a sheet of 1mm thick brass which I think may make some nice ones too. As for the cutting wheels I too use the cheap exploding ones that make up the bulk of 100 piece sets. Providing you don't force them too much it is possible to wear them out before they explode.

gb Offline Farmman

Cutting Wheels
Reply #5 on: January 14, 2012, 10:06:28 PM
Here is one I have just knocked up from a sheet of 1mm brass off of eBay. Used 3 exploding discs.

To get the bend at the top I rolled it around the hut key.

gb Offline MurphyBrown

Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 07:08:21 PM
Very nice.  Do you find that the Brass is maybe to soft and could tend to straighten out with use, one reason i thought of useing stainless, or maybe i'm wrong.

gb Offline Farmman

Cutting Wheels
Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 07:34:15 PM
Would depend on the weight you are hanging. I have had a wenger champ hanging from it all day and it has not moved. I am thinking of making a batch up to sell and using the money to become a chartered member. So if any uk members would like to try one , £2.50 shipped

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%