Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My first Swisstool

us Offline 82brutus

My first Swisstool
on: January 23, 2012, 08:29:51 PM
My first Swisstool was a 'bay auction that I stumbled across with a Make Offer button a few years ago.  The seller had 4 for sale and I offered $30 plus $5 shipping and it was accepted.  So, I bought two of them from the same guy at $35 each.  I was ecstatic.  I could finally see what all the fuss was about.    :-\

A very good deal I thought for a used tool with the older plier head.  Well, they came in and one was very clean and smooth and the blades were a little used, but definitely not abused.   :)

The second one however was covered in some black goop which looked like some sort of tar or hardened grease or something such that it was very hard to tell what condition it was in and the pivots on some of the tools were completely frozen up.  I wish I had thought to take pictures of it at this point, but being still new to documenting these types of projects with pictures, I only have after pictures.   :(

Well, I figured I had come out about average on the deal seeing as I got one awesome tool out of the deal and maybe one for parts.  So, I lightly cleaned the good one and put a little oil on it.  Sharpened it up and it was ready to go.  I let the other sit in a drawer for a while until I was ready to deal with it.   :think:

After a few weeks, I was reading some helpful tips on this forum for cleaning up old SAKs.  Seeing first hand how well that could work out, I decided it was time to tackle this horribly dirty Swiss tool.

I started by soaking it in Dawn dish washing soap and very warm water and inspect it, then repeat.  Things seemed like they were going no where.  A second and third time and it seemed like it might be helping a little.  I tried some WD-40 to get into the pivot joints and lo and behold, it looked like it was finally trying to free up.  Black junk started dripping out.  Finally, I was starting to get some where.   :cheers:

I alternated between WD-40 and the warm soap bath, making sure to work the joints every time.  Finally, it came out spotless.  It now operated as smooth as the first one and looked just about as good!  It had a couple of dings on the blade and the chisel, but other than that, I could find no faults with it.  Sharpened the blades up and now I had basically two new Swisstools (with old plier heads of course).   :multi:

The first real use came when Dad and I had gone over to someone's house to check on them and they were needing to install a door.  We had a minimum set of tools with us and the Swisstool was awesome for filling in the gap.  Did almost the whole job single handedly.  Wasn't the most ideal of situations, but it worked fine and saved us a trip to the hardware store.  Between the drivers, the file, the saw, the chisel and the knife blade, we were able to take off the other door, shave down the new one to make a proper fit and install the hinges.    :tu:

Following the course of obsession that we all seem to take, I now have the original 2, a BO and a new plier head SS model with potentially a newish X model in progress.  I have one in each car, one in a BOB, one in the house and I'm always happy to carry it if I'm outdoors or when I go over to help someone and they say they have the right tools but I'm never convinced they will. 

It's amazing what these tools can take and hard to believe that I'd ever wear one out.  Still, it's hard to keep from having more than one just so there is always one handy.    :gimme:

Hello, my name is Martin and I want to hoard Swisstools.   :D
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: My first Swisstool
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2012, 11:33:17 PM
Great story, and I completely share your love for the swisstool line.  I marvel at mine daily, the precision, the thoughtful design.. love it!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 11:38:40 PM
It has always amazed me at how much abuse these things can take and still keep working after a little cleaning and care. The Swisstool is very good for this, probably because of their corrosion resistance.

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
My first Swisstool
Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 07:25:26 PM
I have a new thread by the same name.... I never thought I would be as impressed as I am but this is a remarkable tool! You are right, the tolerances on it are amazingly precise. That and it's very tough. There may be no looking back:)

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 11:27:31 PM
I am always amazed that there are other tools available on the market.  The SwissTool and Spirit are some of the most perfect tools I own, and they take a pounding and come back for more.

The SwissTool RS and Spirit X are the best tools available in my opinion, and when folks ask me what I carry, that's usually what I tell them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:07 AM
I am always amazed that there are other tools available on the market.  The SwissTool and Spirit are some of the most perfect tools I own, and they take a pounding and come back for more.

The SwissTool RS and Spirit X are the best tools available in my opinion, and when folks ask me what I carry, that's usually what I tell them.

Def

Excellent choices! I carry a SwissTool RS and a Spirit S myself. The RS I got used and the Spirit I got new .... both from Tim (felinevet).

Mike

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 12:43:33 AM
Now if only I could get one of those sweet OH Spirits....   >:D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 12:51:20 AM
Now if only I could get one of those sweet OH Spirits....   >:D

Def

Yeah I know, put in my request back in April 2008 even though Bob started teasing us with it in 2007. LOL!

For you new folks:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,1167.0.html

Mike

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 01:09:10 AM

One of these days....

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 01:17:38 AM
Great feeling when, with just a bit of hard work, you find yourself with a near perfect tool. :tu:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%