Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Leatherman OHT

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Re: Leatherman OHT
Reply #60 on: January 19, 2012, 07:25:58 PM
It's just not doing anything for me  ::)  If they're going to use Gerber's OHP then at least make something compact like the MP600.  This appears about the size of a Surge only wider.  I'll stick with the REBAR  :drool:

I agree, the Rebar is my first choice.

I do like the handle icons though, that is clever!

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #61 on: January 19, 2012, 07:41:24 PM
It's just not doing anything for me  ::)  If they're going to use Gerber's OHP then at least make something compact like the MP600.  This appears about the size of a Surge only wider.  I'll stick with the REBAR  :drool:

I agree, the Rebar is my first choice.

I do like the handle icons though, that is clever!

I agree; Buck started the trend with their BuckTool and BuckTool Lite; Gerber has used it a couple times, and it's nice to see Leatherman following through with its use, too. :)

pl Offline Fistach

Reply #62 on: January 19, 2012, 09:05:22 PM
It's sure interesting to LM's take on the sliding head, but this is one I'd very much have to hold before I buy.  As others have said, it just looks quite bulky and I'm still not convinced by semi-3D Phillips screwdrivers.
These look the same as those in bit kit. They are made of great steel and I use them almost daily - they are still in excellent shape just not that black:)

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #63 on: January 19, 2012, 09:37:18 PM
I can't wait to read to some serious reviews on this, but at first sight it looks like EDCing a brick would be more comfortable.. :D

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #64 on: January 19, 2012, 09:49:10 PM
I can't wait to read to some serious reviews on this, but at first sight it looks like EDCing a brick would be more comfortable.. :D

I think you misspelled "Sport Ratchet." ;)

us Offline Ashley

• AKA Knife Crazied
Reply #65 on: January 19, 2012, 09:50:38 PM
Cut the center out of the brick and it can hold all your edc things. :D Make a flap door and bam you have a new edc piece of gear. :D

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #66 on: January 19, 2012, 11:36:28 PM
It looks too big for EDC, and the Gerber pliers funkified. 

But you dang well better believe that I'll get one.  I'll play with it for 2 days and then put it with the rest of my hoard, but yeah, I'll get one.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #67 on: January 20, 2012, 12:16:35 AM
It's sure interesting to LM's take on the sliding head, but this is one I'd very much have to hold before I buy.  As others have said, it just looks quite bulky and I'm still not convinced by semi-3D Phillips screwdrivers.
These look the same as those in bit kit. They are made of great steel and I use them almost daily - they are still in excellent shape just not that black:)
Yeah, I'm not wild about the bit kit ones either though. :-\  Not terrible, but not my first choice.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline chris777

Reply #68 on: January 20, 2012, 02:02:49 AM
It is nice to see Gerber at the recieving end of a knock off for a change..... :D

us Offline MeadMaker

Reply #69 on: January 20, 2012, 03:01:12 AM
All this talk of the OHT being a knock off is a little silly.  Did Gerber even have a pliers base MT before Leatherman came along?
Tick Magnet

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: January 20, 2012, 03:14:40 AM
All this talk of the OHT being a knock off is a little silly.  Did Gerber even have a pliers base MT before Leatherman came along?
perhaps not, but they did use replaceable cutters and a saw blade exchanger first. ;)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Flying Dutchman

Reply #71 on: January 20, 2012, 04:02:00 AM
Cool tool, not grabbing my attention though. Hope it does well for them.

us Offline Tsquare

Reply #72 on: January 20, 2012, 04:39:50 AM
Gerber had their chance to own the leatherman tool but passed.  I love ALL of these new products that we have seen.  The only problem is coming up with enough cash to buy them all.   :gimme:

Offline maximus0723

Reply #73 on: January 20, 2012, 05:31:55 AM
It's a nice prototype.

Against, just a prototype.
Not getting down or excited just yet.

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #74 on: January 20, 2012, 10:15:43 PM
Leatherman posted some pics today in Facebook

Link to FB Album: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.316585271713981.69984.122239001148610&type=1

gb Offline 5hif7y

• tooled up
Reply #75 on: January 20, 2012, 10:30:40 PM
still unsure. about this one.  ??? ??? ???
-----5hif7y-----

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #76 on: January 20, 2012, 11:05:50 PM
I don't know if anyone brought this up, but the OHT has the tool markings stamped onto the scales.
What I mean is that for each outside opening tool the scales have a picture of it over the corresponding tool.
Take a look at this pic from LM's facebook page:
You can see pictures of both screw drivers, serrated blade and the cutting hook.\
And there are probably more on the other side.
I like the idea :tu:

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #77 on: January 20, 2012, 11:09:06 PM
Ok, couldn't see this in the initial pics, but does it look like the pliers are a tad small for the width of the tool?

dk Offline AHB

• Keeper Of The PowerCut
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Don't mistake lack of talent for genius.
Reply #78 on: January 20, 2012, 11:12:53 PM
I don't know if anyone brought this up, but the OHT has the tool markings stamped onto the scales.

I wonder where they got that idea...  ;)

Soo the sliding pliers is Gerbers, the blade cutouts is SOGs and the stamping is Bucks... ::)
That's three in a row..  :D

gb Offline badwolf

• No Life Club
  • my best friends a dog
Reply #79 on: January 20, 2012, 11:14:07 PM
What I mean is that for each outside opening tool the scales have a picture of it over the corresponding tool.
Take a look at this pic from LM's facebook page:
You can see pictures of both screw drivers, serrated blade and the cutting hook.\
And there are probably more on the other side.
I like the idea :tu:

(Image removed from quote.)
Yes, they have, J-sews mentioned it here :tu:
Ok, couldn't see this in the initial pics, but does it look like the pliers are a tad small for the width of the tool?
J-sews also mentions that here :tu:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 11:20:15 PM by badwolf »
"I like me, my wife likes me"

JC PT&A

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #80 on: January 21, 2012, 12:20:56 AM
One thing does confuse me about this type of plier deploy style.  Is there anyone who really can't open the pliers of a normal Leatherman one handed?  Or is the OHT moniker really aimed at pointed out the outside tools are one handed?
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #81 on: January 21, 2012, 12:30:12 AM
If they made the scales all white with black tools inside, it might be the perfect multi for a storm trooper.   :P
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Leatherman OHT
Reply #82 on: January 21, 2012, 12:50:59 AM
I'm kinda losing interest for 2 reasons:
1. I don't care for the inherent nature of the closed handle position where the handle ends don't come together on the one end. That bothered me on the Gerber MP's which this very much seems to follow. It just seems like sloppy design. I know all the whys, I just don't like the unclosed look of it and the empty space.
2. The non-plier tools seem way small in relation to the big handle and overall clumsy thickness. Just my opinion.
I'm sure durability etc will be top notch

us Offline Accujohn

• No Life Club
Leatherman OHT
Reply #83 on: January 21, 2012, 12:58:21 AM
A few details, many of which have already been discussed:

- cast into the handle scales are icons, indicating which type of tool is located at that station (saw, can opener, knife blade, screwdriver, etc)

I did't catch that element... and while it's interesting/cute design I see it as functionally irrelevant.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #84 on: January 21, 2012, 04:17:44 AM
I'm kinda losing interest for 2 reasons:
1. I don't care for the inherent nature of the closed handle position where the handle ends don't come together on the one end. That bothered me on the Gerber MP's which this very much seems to follow. It just seems like sloppy design. I know all the whys, I just don't like the unclosed look of it and the empty space.
2. The non-plier tools seem way small in relation to the big handle and overall clumsy thickness. Just my opinion.
I'm sure durability etc will be top notch

I totally agree with #2.  I think everything including the pliers looks to be too small in comparison with the tool's size. 

I actually don't mind the gap on the gerbers as long as the tools lock.  I just got an MP600 in today and I am pretty impressed. 

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #85 on: January 21, 2012, 05:08:20 AM
How much do you think the tool weights ?

I really wished it would be fully closed or with just little space between the scales but I'm still buying it.

OHT weight is claimed to be 9.9oz / 280.66 g :salute:

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

pl Offline Fistach

Reply #86 on: January 21, 2012, 10:34:59 AM
How much do you think the tool weights ?

I really wished it would be fully closed or with just little space between the scales but I'm still buying it.

OHT weight is claimed to be 9.9oz / 280.66 g :salute:

There is nothing really special about it then - 280 g for 4,5 " platform tool  :gimme:

On the photos Leatherman provided it looks much better :drool: because I think this is how the tool is looking like in Fall 2012.

Can't wait to buy one. Once again I will have to import the tool from USA to Poland:)

Here is another video:

http://www.defensenews.com/videonetwork/1403401975001/Leatherman-OHT-and-ZRex-SHOT-Show-12
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 12:52:26 PM by Fistach »

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #87 on: January 21, 2012, 06:22:21 PM
One of the engineers who worked on it pointed out to us that the plier heads on this one actually locked outside the rail on this one, to a reinforced section of frame, so that even if the scales were sawed through the pliers would still function.  Apparently this reinforced section goes about halfway down the plier handle making it exceptionally strong.

As one who has never managed to crush Gerber handles with my manly hands and other forms of abuse, I can appreciate the gesture, but I have to wonder if it was really necessary.

Additionally, I am not a fan of the 2D phillips or stubby saw on a large tool like this. 

When it comes to a saw, size matters, and I'd happily lose either the flathead screwdriver or the can opener to get the extra inch or so.  Maybe that's just me, but those are my thoughts.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
Reply #88 on: January 21, 2012, 07:06:38 PM
I think the intent is good here but they should head back to the drawing board for a few reasons.  I agree about the saw length, a short saw is about as useful as an unsharpened awl.  The 2d phillips is a huge turnoff for me, the phillips on my tools is one of the most important elements.  The stubby little tools on the OHT are kinda funny looking, they would fit really well on a juice sized tool but here they are equivalent to putting a mini bit driver on a surge, I never understood that either.   :think:

For me though, the biggest detractor is the size of the pliers.  The just look so tiny on top of the huge handles.  Not that the size wouldn't be useful, but it looks like the handles may get in the way of serious use.  At least the ST300 is tapered so the handles aren't in the way, but then again the ST300 has big beefy pliers.

All that being said, if they come out with it I will likely buy it for fun, but I don't see it becoming my EDC simply because I can have full sized tools on the REBAR, and I prefer that style anyway.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #89 on: January 21, 2012, 07:16:20 PM
I agree- I will get an OHT for the collection and for testing and eavaluation, but like the MUT, it won't see any significant use after the initial review period. 

In the defense of this 2D phillips, while I don't like it, it probably is no worse than the flattened phillips bit on bit driver models like the Charge.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%