Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Got a Center Drive

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Got a Center Drive
on: May 08, 2020, 06:19:44 PM
Let's put it simple, I used to hate the Center Drive. I found it to an extent, gimmicky, and found nearly all its marketing was facetious when compared to tools that should actually be comparable. As in--they should have compared the blades to that of the ST300 and Surge; NOT Wave. Wave, to me, is more comparable to the MP600.  But, as my needs have changed quite a bit as I have gotten older, I found it to be just the right fit for what I needed.

Tuesday, I finished up my college classes for the school year. So, I decided to treat myself to a Center Drive in BO.  I have been wanting an MT that is fairly durable , and takes standard 1/4 screwdriver bits without an adapter. My SwissTool is plenty sturdy, but it is completely unusable with gloves, and the tight tolerances mean it gunks up quickly.  I love my ST300 and Rebar, but neither of them have outside opening blades. Not that it is a problem, but sometimes, I don't want to have to carry an extra knife in addition to what's on my MT.   Use of anything but the pliers on my Wave and Surge is very uncomfortable when applying a lot of force. All Leatherman products use those stupid flat bits. My MP600ST at present is my only MP600. It may have a longer Phillips than on the standard MP600, a really long awl; and the best blade in the MP600 platform, but that blade is not outside accessible. And it too needs an adapter to use bits.  And since I don't own an AR rifle (and probably never will, unless I move out of VA), the sight adjustment tool is just a huge bulky thing that takes up space.  These days, Torx is on just about anything (and I know many people who use exclusively Torx in carpentry), so the 2-3 slotted drivers and the #2 Phillips most MTs and SAKs have won't cut it.

The Center-Drive has Gerber's sliding pliers, a "central axis", outside-accessible 1/4 driver (and the ability to stow an extra bit) decently sized 3.25" outside opening plain-edge blade (plus internal serrated blade), awl (which is VERY important to start screws in wood), and a pretty interesting cap lifter/pry bar combo. I like how the lock release is designed better than the new MP600 chassis as well.  And while this, being the weapons maintenance bit kit version, the ST is just a removable screwdriver bit, which can be swapped for whatever I need.

I expect it to be here probably between Monday and Wednesday. Can't wait to put it to use. It should be eligible for the Soldier challenge, being issued in (and actually from) the OTIS USGI weapons cleaning kit.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:08:59 PM by cody6268 »

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Re: Got a Center Drive
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 07:59:00 PM
I have center drive and i like it but gotta whine little bit off it, awl is great but it easily snap when drilling holes with it. I have owned 2 diffrent center drive and snapped awl on both while drilling hole. So be very careful when bending or twisting awl.
It doesnt fully snap just small piece from head so it need reprofiling

Only Tools Matters

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 03:42:06 AM
I love my CenterDrive. I wish I had known they would release a BO version down the road, I would have waited to get one. The BO looks so good and Gerber does a great job with their BO coatings. Also, I like the Plus version with a combo blade and scissors. At any rate, I think Gerber hit a grandslam with the CenterDrive. The long-shank bit adapter is amazing and as you mention, flats and philips just don't cut it anymore so a bit adapter is very necessary. I have used my CenterDrive very hard and it has performed exceptionally well.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 05:24:23 PM
I love mine too!  It's my go to tool for most of my jobs around the ranch. I didn't know it was a military issue tool, but I can definitely see it being so.  It takes a lot of bad press for fit and finish, some of it rightfully so.  I got lucky with mine, but it's definitely not a Swisstool.  I think of them as the AK-47 vs AR-15. 
Barry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD