Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1067572

cz Offline Rahmed

Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #150 on: April 25, 2012, 08:23:00 PM
 :mail: Scales from Robert arrived today... What a beauty :drool:
No picture can show the wonderful colors :cheers: And red... red is the top one for me  :ahhh
I have already an order for Two Tone Blue&Black SAK  :angel:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #151 on: April 25, 2012, 09:13:06 PM
Rahmed, I'm so glad they made it to you!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline nj2656

Reply #152 on: April 28, 2012, 05:03:05 PM
I just got my regular black scaled Urban Pioneer with the pocket clip(which I love) and now a I want a blue one, or maybe a red one, no definitly an OD one. SO MANY CHOICES........................................................... ??? :think: :ahhh :drool:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #153 on: April 28, 2012, 05:17:10 PM
I just got my regular black scaled Urban Pioneer with the pocket clip(which I love) and now a I want a blue one, or maybe a red one, no definitly an OD one. SO MANY CHOICES........................................................... ??? :think: :ahhh :drool:

The red is my favorite! :D  I'm running a big batch of red next to go with the batch of Ti liners coming in.  We're getting 300 Ti6Al4V liners waterjet cut.  :D  I just hope the waterjet guy hurries, I'm anxious to see how polished Ti liners look with my matte red scales. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #154 on: May 17, 2012, 05:53:43 PM
Woohoo!!!!  Parts!!! I've been run dry of parts lately so I haven't been able to put any new mods together for ages.

Bushido and I got some liners cut from 0.032 Titanium  (Ti-6Al-4V) and I just got mine in the mail today!  :D :D   Now I gotta get some shop time in over the weekend to get a bunch drilled and processed and I can put together my first Ti urban pioneer!  I've been anxiously waiting to put one of these together!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:58:08 PM by Syph007 »

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #155 on: May 17, 2012, 05:59:42 PM

:o     Wow

:popcorn:
Everything’s adjustable

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #156 on: May 17, 2012, 06:34:23 PM
Kool, can't wait!  JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #157 on: May 17, 2012, 07:41:59 PM
 8)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #158 on: May 17, 2012, 07:56:56 PM
I love the Blue.  :tu: 
I'm the milk man!

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #159 on: May 17, 2012, 10:02:50 PM
Woohoo!!!!  Parts!!! I've been run dry of parts lately so I haven't been able to put any new mods together for ages.

Bushido and I got some liners cut from 0.032 Titanium  (Ti-6Al-4V) and I just got mine in the mail today!  :D :D   Now I gotta get some shop time in over the weekend to get a bunch drilled and processed and I can put together my first Ti urban pioneer!  I've been anxiously waiting to put one of these together!

(Image removed from quote.)

Lovely to see a big pile of titanium in useful shapes like that isn't it? The laser is dialed in for .040" ti, test cutting went well and keyring spacers are being cut today.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:35:59 PM by bushidomosquito »
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

Offline heardrwt

Reply #160 on: May 26, 2012, 10:26:51 AM
Wow these alox mods look amazing!
I've been wanting scissors in an alox for years.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #161 on: May 26, 2012, 12:29:03 PM
Wow these alox mods look amazing!
I've been wanting scissors in an alox for years.

A sentiment shared by many people here :)

Welcome to MTO... we have an introduction thread you can post in and say hi :cheers:
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #162 on: May 26, 2012, 01:15:25 PM
yes indeed, why no scissors on an Alox is beyond me... Oh well, we have BusihoMosquito and Syph007 for that in any case.

Reply #163 on: May 26, 2012, 02:13:18 PM
yes indeed, why no scissors on an Alox is beyond me... Oh well, we have BusihoMosquito and Syph007 for that in any case.

I don't get it either. I watched a Megafactory documentary about Victorinox and they had several "engineers" sitting around a table scooting parts around and working out what models to put together next. Have none of these guys caught on to the scissors, pliers and inline Phillips mods that we're doing with very slightly modified parts? I still dream of getting the call to come work for them in my nice cushy office with a view of the Matterhorn and my own table full of parts to scoot around.  :D

es Offline El Rago

• I shot the sherrif...
Reply #164 on: May 26, 2012, 04:38:53 PM
You are not the only one Bushido, I saw that documentary too and though to myself: man, if I could work there I would make a custom SAK every week. Make myself a happy man and a few members here too.

As far as the "engineers" go, dont companies actually ask the clients what they want? I am in the process of getting some ca$h for a custom alox and I am asking what I want/need. And even if I pay "top dollar", it is not extremely expensive, and I get what I need.

and I though companies owed themselves to the clients...

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #165 on: June 13, 2012, 05:42:28 PM
Well I've been busy making parts, but I haven't been putting many together lately as I'm just about out of HA scales.

Here are the latest Ti parts we had cut, Ti keyring spacers.  I'll ground the nub off some for people that hate keyrings, some love em, some hate em

Here are all the scales I have prepped for stripping today.  The ones on the left had imperfections from anodize and I don't like to use those, so they get re-stripped and redone.  The ones on the right all all virgin right off new alox.

I'm going to show a vid of the stripping process this time because its crazy.  It bubbles away turns black and then you pull out a shiny clean aluminum scale.  I'll show the prep steps I go through to turn these into nice HA scales.  Its harder than it looked and I ruined a few scales in the learning process.

These all get a hang wire and I dip them in groups of 4, always with at least one shield scale in the group as that red of the shield is the indicator for being done.  When its gone its all done stripping.  Without that it's more of a guess as to the end of the process since stripping silver off silver colored metal inst obvious when the oxide layer is all gone.

us Online MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #166 on: June 14, 2012, 05:17:28 AM
Ah man, looking good! So can't wait to see some finished products,  JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #167 on: June 14, 2012, 05:42:14 AM
omg! so many parts!!  :ahhh you have taken the life of many alox saks  :D nice work!  :tu:
custom swiss army knives

Reply #168 on: June 14, 2012, 10:41:37 AM

mx Offline Sidhartha

• Hecho en México
Reply #169 on: June 14, 2012, 06:23:21 PM
custom swiss army knives

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #170 on: June 14, 2012, 09:56:06 PM
omg! so many parts!!  :ahhh you have taken the life of many alox saks  :D nice work!  :tu:

http://thazing.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/thazing-371-e1338981084726.jpg

Funny thing is that was actually the guy in the pictures cat and he made it into that himself.   :ahhh
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #171 on: June 18, 2012, 01:05:13 AM
When it comes to scissors on Alox, what would seem an obvious expansion of the series, there has to be some reasoning that we are not privy to.  Since it was discovered really how easy it would be to add scissors using existing parts Swiss Bianco has apparantly since raised the question with them at Victorinox again, and apparantly it was discussed again, but the answer was the same... no scissors for Alox.  I understand +B might be doing is own scissors mod, but since he has several irons in the fire it's impossible to say when or if it will happen.

The Mod Squad group has really advanced the modding of SAKs significantly in a very short time. 

:cheers:

Reply #172 on: June 18, 2012, 01:15:55 AM
I just popped a 91mm file into a 93 on a Farmer spring last night since I noticed it was the same thickness and profile as the saw, which is the same for 91 and 93mm. I don't recall ever seeing a file in a 93 but it drops right in with a Farmer saw spring like it was made for it so that's one more tool option for the 93. The same goes for the fish scaler if anyone cares.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #173 on: June 18, 2012, 01:18:57 AM
Ya I'd be curious too, to know why they decide the answer is no, but one has to assume its financially based.  Maybe they think it might eat into the 91mm sales?  Maybe 93mm sales are less profitable for them?  Surely tooling up for a different spring shape cant be that bad, since they make their own stamping dies in house.

SB only does factory approved recombinations (mods) so that they still have a warranty, so Id be curious to know what they come up with, if Vic will be doing that 'mod' for them I'd love to see it.

Reply #174 on: June 18, 2012, 01:44:59 AM
You think they'd at least hand some files or the occasional fish scaler to the Farmer assemblers once in a while since it uses the same saw spring but as far as I'm concerned they can limit the 93 tool selection as much as they like. We'll tool up for those springs and mod the other stuff if they don't want to.

I think one of their marlin spike models with pliers and a scaler and our ti liners and HA scales would make an awesome anti-corrosion fisherman tool.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #175 on: June 18, 2012, 03:17:29 AM
....  I don't recall ever seeing a file in a 93 but it drops right in with a Farmer saw spring ....
The Scibeer Tank (HA Alox 7 layers) sported a file, but no Fishscaler.  He also did a model called the Farmer Abrasive that added the file.

SB only does factory approved recombinations (mods) so that they still have a warranty, so Id be curious to know what they come up with, if Vic will be doing that 'mod' for them I'd love to see it.
Ya I was surprised too, but that is what he posted on his facebook page.  He sometimes does his own stuff, but he usually gets approval like for the 111mm Damascus, but the quality of his 111mm Damascus does not reach that if a Victorinox manufactured and assembled knife, so they can't be too picky if they are special limited models.  He's tougher on modders than Victorinox, but we know what to believe.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #176 on: June 18, 2012, 03:24:50 AM
Finished up a new model finally.  No scissors but pliers instead.  Urban Mechanic I guess?

This is the first mod for me with no stock liners at all.  This is using titanium liners and keyring spacer.  Wow it's my first exposure to Ti, and it's a beautiful material, but a royal bitch to finish.  Probably about 5 sheets of sandpaper and an hour or more per liner.  I had to make some 1/2 split mandrels in my drill press to chew through it, hand sanding just doesn't cut it.

I'm happy with the end product though, and wow the pliers have a wicked good snap on them with dual saw backsprings. 

It's hard to take a picture of such a tiny part, but here is the titanium keyring spacer all shined up.

A small glimpse of the titanium liners peeking through.

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #177 on: June 18, 2012, 04:55:59 AM
Ya I'd be curious too, to know why they decide the answer is no, but one has to assume its financially based.  Maybe they think it might eat into the 91mm sales?  Maybe 93mm sales are less profitable for them?  Surely tooling up for a different spring shape cant be that bad, since they make their own stamping dies in house.

Don't ask how I know but so far to date Vic will not be adding scissors to the alox line. Wish I was wrong but so far I am... :(
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #178 on: June 18, 2012, 05:16:14 AM

Don't ask how I know but so far to date Vic will not be adding scissors to the alox line. Wish I was wrong but so far I am... :(

Sadness. :/  At least it helps keep you busy, though, Steve. :)

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #179 on: June 18, 2012, 05:31:57 AM

Sadness. :/  At least it helps keep you busy, though, Steve. :)
Yep until those guys up there ^^^^ make those springs. But it's all good some people like rivets and I'm going to have a machine for that soon ;).
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%