Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)

Syph007 · 6008 · 1068093

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Re: And so it begins.... (My adventures into Alox!)
Reply #5310 on: April 28, 2018, 12:44:56 PM
Thanks Zoidy - I shoulda looked harder

I looked Kniferights up - Interesting !!

Could not find Syph's knife in their fundraising page - But I did see a knife signed by Col. Oliver North - Wow

It's on this page.  There are alot of knives.

https://kniferights.org/ultimatesteel/2018-ultimate-steel/#baskett-2018
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline tommywp

Reply #5311 on: April 30, 2018, 02:41:08 AM
Hey Syph - somewhere in this thread you mentioned the thickness in the TI scales vs cellulode plus scalesis about a plier layer. Was wondering if you could compare the thickness to Alox 93mms. Is a 91mm huntsman with TI the same thickness as a PioneerX, or are the scales basically the same?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 02:42:32 AM by tommywp »

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5312 on: April 30, 2018, 02:42:05 PM
Hey Syph - somewhere in this thread you mentioned the thickness in the TI scales vs cellulode plus scalesis about a plier layer. Was wondering if you could compare the thickness to Alox 93mms. Is a 91mm huntsman with TI the same thickness as a PioneerX, or are the scales basically the same?

My Ti scales and alox are about the same thickness.  The 91 mm tool layers are thinner than the 93 mm though.  Well blade and opener layers.  Saw and scissors would be the same.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #5313 on: May 01, 2018, 09:52:49 PM

It had to go on the front scales since the fold over inline awl would block it on the back.  Works fine though.

Could the inline awl be positioned on the same end as the main blade, i.e. on the front, and the drawer also be positioned on the front?) The fold-over would cover the drawer, but it would require no more than opening the awl to access the drawer?

(This could make way for a "classic" marlinspike on the back...? :drool: :drool: :drool:)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:55:03 PM by Toppskarven . »
Posted using my electronic SAK scales

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.
-Make intricate machinery and weapons.
-Aren't concerned with the wars of men.

DWARVES! THE SWISS ARE DWARVES!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5314 on: May 01, 2018, 11:23:56 PM

It had to go on the front scales since the fold over inline awl would block it on the back.  Works fine though.

Could the inline awl be positioned on the same end as the main blade, i.e. on the front, and the drawer also be positioned on the front?) The fold-over would cover the drawer, but it would require no more than opening the awl to access the drawer?

(This could make way for a "classic" marlinspike on the back...? :drool: :drool: :drool:)

No actually the inline awlnis too long to play nice and fit in one layer with the caplifter.

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #5315 on: May 02, 2018, 08:15:09 PM

No actually the inline awlnis too long to play nice and fit in one layer with the caplifter.
:think: thinking of what tool that could be opposite the awl... Gutting knife from a hunter?  :drool: Nope that wont do... does electricians blade fit I wonder? :think:

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5316 on: May 02, 2018, 08:46:58 PM

:think: thinking of what tool that could be opposite the awl... Gutting knife from a hunter?  :drool: Nope that wont do... does electricians blade fit I wonder? :think:

Nail nick would be on wrong side but might fit.  The awl really only fits with the blade.  I once shortened an awl to fit with caplifter but it looked weird.

no Offline Toppskarven .

Reply #5317 on: May 02, 2018, 09:22:19 PM

Nail nick would be on wrong side but might fit.  The awl really only fits with the blade.  I once shortened an awl to fit with caplifter but it looked weird.
hmmmm... :think: what if the awl (and drawer :facepalm:) would be in its "normal" place at the "back", and marlinspike at the "wrong" side (i.e. front)...?
(just got really fixated on combining awl, drawer and marlinspike. Don't get me started on the rest of the tools i dream of.. :facepalm:)

Yeah, I know, probably gonna be an issue with the backsprings... :-\

The Swiss:
-Live in Mountains.
-Collect Gold.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #5318 on: May 06, 2018, 03:46:37 PM
Hey Spyh, I’m wondering, do you accept parts commissions?
Like, say I wanted some 91mm brass liners like you already use, with 2.5 and 2.25mm holes instead of 1/8” holes?
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5319 on: May 06, 2018, 05:01:03 PM
Like, say I wanted some 91mm brass liners like you already use, with 2.5 and 2.25mm holes instead of 1/8” holes?

Nope everything I make has 1/8 holes.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5320 on: May 06, 2018, 05:07:35 PM

Nope everything I make has 1/8 holes.
Okay.  :cheers:

All hail the hook!

ca Offline Marc_in_NS

• No Life Club
Reply #5321 on: May 12, 2018, 01:38:05 AM
I really love that SAK with the Maple Leaf...now you are pulling my heart strings... :)

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #5322 on: May 12, 2018, 01:55:34 AM
Me too ....

Must have some Canadian in me somewhere   :think:    ???    :D

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #5323 on: May 12, 2018, 02:27:11 AM
Super busy Sir?

I am going to need a drawer mod knife.

Please take my monies.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #5324 on: May 12, 2018, 02:54:13 AM
These little guys slip in here and there... pesky 58s!

Whats going on here with the pocket clip Robert?

I have a 58 you made for me a while ago with one of the pocket clips you put on bigger SAKs.

This one looks like it would be nicer though.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #5325 on: May 12, 2018, 03:14:16 AM
Would be cool to buy spring plus scissors for 84 mm that you planned on tuning from 91 mm. That and two liners (I'm thinking of getting a cadet 2017 LE and add the scissors and upgrade the liners). That anything you'd be willing to do.

Just thought of the holes. You be willing too sell pivots and screws too? I realise this pretty much ends up with a lot of work but if you're willing then I'm interested!

- stoneshank

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5326 on: May 12, 2018, 04:45:03 PM
Super busy Sir?

Please take my monies.

I'm building a dozen pioneer x with drawer this week if you want one of those?

ca Offline armi101

Reply #5327 on: May 12, 2018, 10:12:45 PM
So. First off I'm a fan of your mods. Both the 93mm and the 91. All very nice and excellent craftsmanship.

I decided after reading most of this section of the forum to try to make an alox exlporer. After finally getting all the parts and tools I got some time in the shop last night. I present my version of an alox explorer (based off lots of input gleaned from this site. It's not perfect, but I'm happy.

2 alox pioneers
1 celidor explorer.

I used the scissor rest from the 91mm explorer and a blade spring to make the scissor layer. I also used one of the 91mm liners with a new hole drilled. The pivots are the 1/8in.

I'm pleased with the result. But there is an issue. The snap on the spring is weak, and the opener layer sits a bit low. I've been playing with this for most of the morning and i think with a little more tension in the spring it would all work.....any suggestions how to accomplish this?

20180512_140409-1328x747.jpg
* 20180512_140409-1328x747.jpg (Filesize: 111.76 KB)
20180512_140413-1328x747.jpg
* 20180512_140413-1328x747.jpg (Filesize: 139.49 KB)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #5328 on: May 13, 2018, 05:23:36 AM
Super busy Sir?

Please take my monies.

Silver?

Bah who am I kidding.

Yes I would love one of them.

ca Offline armi101

Reply #5329 on: May 13, 2018, 07:20:35 AM
Ok. Quick update.
Problems solved. The scissor rest on the spring was a little loose. I adjjsted the backspring by about 2 degrees. All fit tight. Snap is perfect.

Thanks for the inspirarion.

Cheers,

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5330 on: May 13, 2018, 10:37:18 PM
So. First off I'm a fan of your mods. Both the 93mm and the 91. All very nice and excellent craftsmanship.

I decided after reading most of this section of the forum to try to make an alox exlporer. After finally getting all the parts and tools I got some time in the shop last night. I present my version of an alox explorer (based off lots of input gleaned from this site. It's not perfect, but I'm happy.

2 alox pioneers
1 celidor explorer.

I used the scissor rest from the 91mm explorer and a blade spring to make the scissor layer. I also used one of the 91mm liners with a new hole drilled. The pivots are the 1/8in.

I'm pleased with the result. But there is an issue. The snap on the spring is weak, and the opener layer sits a bit low. I've been playing with this for most of the morning and i think with a little more tension in the spring it would all work.....any suggestions how to accomplish this?

Nice job.  Its such a pain to fit tools on that frame that dont belong.  I dont do that kind of work at all anymore.  As soon as someone wants Mag/phillips or pliers its 91mm for sure.

Super busy Sir?

Please take my monies.

Silver?

Bah who am I kidding.

Yes I would love one of them.

I'll pm you.

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5331 on: May 14, 2018, 03:14:55 PM
What tools would you need to cut out and finish some brass liners by hand, besides patience and practice?
Was thinking of trying my hand at it... have some Al liners to use as a template.

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5332 on: May 14, 2018, 03:34:22 PM
Fret saw and a plentiful supply of very fine pitch blade (I used 59 TPI :o), files and sandpaper.  If you can stack the liners and rivet them together while you work it's easier to cut they'll all be the same size.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5333 on: May 14, 2018, 03:38:47 PM
Fret saw and a plentiful supply of very fine pitch blade (I used 59 TPI :o), files and sandpaper.  If you can stack the liners and rivet them together while you work it's easier to cut they'll all be the same size.

Yup exactly.  Make a liner sandwich with the stock liners on the outside.  Then you can just file and sand away.  When I used to hand form scales, I'd put them in there too so everything was guaranteed to all match.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5334 on: May 14, 2018, 03:53:43 PM
Would be cool to buy spring plus scissors for 84 mm that you planned on tuning from 91 mm. That and two liners (I'm thinking of getting a cadet 2017 LE and add the scissors and upgrade the liners). That anything you'd be willing to do.

Just thought of the holes. You be willing too sell pivots and screws too? I realise this pretty much ends up with a lot of work but if you're willing then I'm interested!

- stoneshank

So far I have 5 cadets I am converting to Ti frame with scissors added.  The cost to make these is going to be more than a standard 91mm.  So its kind of a test to see if all the people asking for one of these really wants them or not.  Just making the scissors layer mods alone would be close to 100 in labor.

Nothing Im making or working with will work on alox scales.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 03:54:51 PM by Syph007 »

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5335 on: May 14, 2018, 04:43:44 PM

Yup exactly.  Make a liner sandwich with the stock liners on the outside.  Then you can just file and sand away.  When I used to hand form scales, I'd put them in there too so everything was guaranteed to all match.
Ok, thanks.  :)
I think I have a source of some K&S engineering .032x2”x12” brass strip, three should cost about €10.
This is what K&S engineering says about the brass specs: Alloy 260 1/2 hard ASTM B36.
No idea what that means.  :facepalm: Is it an appropriate alloy?

Fret saw, files and sandpaper should be easy to get... will look in boot sales. And if I have to buy new a saw, plenty of <€15 budget choices to choose from, 5” depth should be more than enough.

That leaves those ultra fine blades to figure out.  :think:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 04:44:50 PM by Don Pablo »

All hail the hook!

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • I brake for cake
Reply #5336 on: May 14, 2018, 04:51:23 PM
The thicker the material (or the more liners you cut at once), the lower the TPI count you need.  You won't be able to cut very thin material with a coarse blade, as the teeth just catch.  Ideally, you need a few teeth in contact with the material at any one time.  I think my liners were either 0.7 or 0.8 mm brass.

260 half-hard brass will be just fine, and 0.032" is 0.81 mm, so the thickness is about right too.

You'll find the blades at any fine woodwork or marquetry supplier.  I think mine were Pegas brand.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #5337 on: May 14, 2018, 07:03:25 PM

- stoneshank

So far I have 5 cadets I am converting to Ti frame with scissors added.  The cost to make these is going to be more than a standard 91mm.  So its kind of a test to see if all the people asking for one of these really wants them or not.  Just making the scissors layer mods alone would be close to 100 in labor.

Nothing Im making or working with will work on alox scales.
Ok, thanks!

- stoneshank

ca Offline armi101

Reply #5338 on: May 17, 2018, 04:39:56 PM
Hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. The can opener sits just a hair too low. I can just barely get the nail nick if my nail is long enough, and it hasn't been a problem. But if it was a little higher it would work much better. ...any thoughts on how to raise it?

20180517_083637-1328x747.jpg
* 20180517_083637-1328x747.jpg (Filesize: 201.57 KB)

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #5339 on: May 17, 2018, 05:29:30 PM
Hoping someone might be able to help me out with this. The can opener sits just a hair too low. I can just barely get the nail nick if my nail is long enough, and it hasn't been a problem. But if it was a little higher it would work much better. ...any thoughts on how to raise it?

Weird.  Did you accidentally out the backspring in backwards?  The smaller pivot end goes to the bottle opener.  That the only thing I can think of as to why it would sit weird.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20