Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kershaw T-Tool

damota · 16 · 1952

Offline damota

Kershaw T-Tool
on: February 26, 2008, 01:49:16 AM
The Kershaw T-Tool looks kinda interesting for interfering with your knives and multi-tools (moding and maintenance) just seen one (and ordered it). Not a multi-tool but a looks useful. Let you know what its like if anyone is interested?

Dave
2657.jpg
* 2657.jpg (Filesize: 57.86 KB)

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Kershaw T-Tool
Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:50:42 AM
I am- I'm not familiar with that one.  Do you have any better pics of it?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 01:52:26 AM
I saw that on Heinnies and it looked good for the price.  :)
I'm back!!

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:12:17 AM
Countycomm.com recently got them for sale.  Lots of pics to!

http://www.countycomm.com/TORX.htm
[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 08:52:00 AM
That looks like a handy little tool, especially for the price :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 09:46:32 AM
I'm not sure why they supply shortened bits, but anyway, it's just a bit driver with some Torx drivers supplied.

What's the excitement?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:08:15 AM
The bits are in the Std. Sizes Professionals Use!®

i.e. they are around the right size to adjust pocket clips, pivots and so forth on most folding knives. Kind of like Benchmade's BlueBox but not nearly as poorly made.

Offline flapjackboy

Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 11:13:09 AM
The bits are in the Std. Sizes Professionals Use!®

i.e. they are around the right size to adjust pocket clips, pivots and so forth on most folding knives. Kind of like Benchmade's BlueBox but not nearly as poorly made.

I think what Nomad was referring to was that the hex shank on those bits doesn't look like it's the right length. Probably so that they can fit them all into the shaft of the driver. (Or, as the cynic in me was suggesting, so that they can flog you extra bits, like Leatherman do.)
[

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:00 AM
I was responding to this part.

What's the excitement?

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 07:43:43 PM
I think what Nomad was referring to was that the hex shank on those bits doesn't look like it's the right length. Probably so that they can fit them all into the shaft of the driver. (Or, as the cynic in me was suggesting, so that they can flog you extra bits, like Leatherman do.)

While the bits are shorter, I suspect the remaining dimensions are standard, so you could bung in any ol' bits you like.

Is it a bit of a leap of faith to say a set of Torx will see you home?
Seems many have Socket bolts, and the Rivet ones are a whole other issue.

us Offline hawkchucker

• No Life Club
  • I miss Benner
Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 09:44:23 PM
I kind of think it would be a cool little gismo to keep in the maint, box where I keep all my tools.
S

us Offline Mike

• No Life Club
  • Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 10:21:35 PM
Think I'd rather go for one of these from SaberTooth tools:
Pocket T-Driver
Ratchet T-Driver

Mike
Common sense ..... so rare, it's virtually a super power.

Offline damota

Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 02:33:34 PM

While the bits are shorter, I suspect the remaining dimensions are standard, so you could bung in any ol' bits you like.

The bits are 9mm along the hex part and the blade portion is standard size. Anyone needing a special bit (such as the LM 5 star torx (if he has got hold of one)) would have to remove 5mm from a standard bit, could be cut with a standard hacksaw. The blade part of the bit fits in a hole at either end again reducing the length needed to store the 3 bits, so at least one bit needs to be of a similar diameter to the original bits or it won't fit if stored at the end. The tool has a length of 92mm and seem to be made of heavily lacquered aluminum.

Is it a bit of a leap of faith to say a set of Torx will see you home?
Seems many have Socket bolts, and the Rivet ones are a whole other issue.
[/quote]

The T6 is hard to get on its own and is used by most of the well known Knife companies (as well as phone manufacturers) T8 also is used throughout the industry but is more likely to be found in a standard set. The X point is a size 0 (used by many for fitting clips) although I have none that use X point I do have a single knife that uses a flat and can soon alter an appropriate bit to fit.
First job that needs doing to it is to get rid of the triangular peice of the key chain and relace it with a small split ring.
I agree a similar tool with Alan heads would be desirable but they do seem to have fallen from grace recently as for riveted tools a power drill is a bit big for anyones pocket on a just in case basis they just need binning then maybe the manufacturer will use screws of some type to allow home maintenance and price them right instead of using cheap fixings.

Dave

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008, 06:10:46 AM
Thanks for the update damota,the T-tool must be pretty popular,a couple places that I inquired about them were sold out already,they must be catching on,looking to get one myself,and probably redoing some bits also.

Offline damota

Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 02:32:34 PM
As an afterthought on my comment on a one with Alan key bits I wonedre if as there are both metric and imperial sized Alan keys if that was the reason they are not being used as much as they used to be. They wouuld have to produce 2 sets. I know they are sods to sort out if you get the L shaped keys mixed up.

Dave

Added

You do not need to cut any added bit if you store the first point down the added bit then another bit that came with it point up as both the original bits will fit in the added holes I mentioned at each end leaving enough space for the unaltered bit.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 05:55:45 PM by damota »

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 07:39:32 PM
As an afterthought on my comment on a one with Alan key bits I wonedre if as there are both metric and imperial sized Alan keys if that was the reason they are not being used as much as they used to be. They wouuld have to produce 2 sets. I know they are sods to sort out if you get the L shaped keys mixed up.

I have a few 1/4" bolts with socket (allen) heads.

They have all been expertly rounded by metric keys.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%