Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Range Bag Tool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
CRKT Range Bag Tool
on: February 06, 2012, 04:35:25 PM
In the aftermath of SHOT and a few other things I had going on both online and off this has been put off for a little too long.  While this isn't part of our SHOT coverage per se, it's high time I showed folks what goodies I came home with, much of which will be reviewed for your reading pleasure over the next little while.

To start with I chose one of the more odd multitools folks are likely to encounter, and probably the tool that takes the prize for the longest multitool name ever- the Crimson Trace Corporation/Columbia River Knife and Tool Range Bag Tool.  There's more words in that name than there is in most of MultiMat's posts!  :D

This won't be a review- that will come later.  I have had little chance to actually use any of these tools yet and so I really can't comment on their effectiveness.  But, in the meantime, here are some photos for everyone's amusement and enjoyment! :D

Note the two teeny tiny allen wrenches slipped into slots on the back- these are for adjusting sights, and one is so tiny I'm pretty certain it's for adjusting cross hairs.  There will be better pics of these in the upcoming Picatinny Tool thread as they are the same wrenches.

One of Columbia River's designers (Glenn Klecker, the guy that did the NIRK knife) also works at Crimson Trace and I believe he was the common thread that brought CTC and CRKT together.  Or maybe it was because they share a page in the Yellow Pages!  :P

Opening up all the tools you can see the knife blade's opening holes is also slotted in such as way as to be used as a wrench, the bottle opener is also a file and flathead screwdriver and the 2D Phillips rounds out the third side.

This tool may not be terribly ergonomic but it is interesting- the theory behind it is that you can get one and toss it in your range bag (hence the name!) for those times when you go to the range and forget your regular tools.  Interesting concept, and I can think of a few times where it would have been handy to have.  I rarely if ever go to the range (or anywhere else) without a SAK and/or multitool, but if it ever did happen, I'd probably be glad I had this with me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: CRKT Range Bag Tool
Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 04:42:01 PM
That's a funny little bugger. I'm not convinced about those drivers... we'll see what you have to say about that later!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 05:35:47 PM
Since there aren't a lot of recessed or tiny screws on the average firearm I think they should work well enough.

Plus, for you UK folks, the blade on this one doesn't lock, although it is one handed opening so it's far too dangerous for Allan!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 05:50:18 PM
Since there aren't a lot of recessed or tiny screws on the average firearm I think they should work well enough.

Plus, for you UK folks, the blade on this one doesn't lock, although it is one handed opening so it's far too dangerous for Allan!  :D

Def

... so they made a UK legal pocket tool for firearms maintenance ...

Good thinking!  :rofl: :rofl: >:D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 06:02:13 PM
I think it was made without a lock to keep the pricing and complexity down, not because it would be UK legal.  It is funny though when you look at it that way!  :D

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:14:29 PM
not a looker....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 07:20:03 PM
No, but looks may not have much to do with function.

Def

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 07:26:31 PM
Grant, maybe it's a faulty memory, but I thought these two tools were released last year. :think:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 07:29:46 PM

Def

But, that is why men chase after pretty women, not because they function better...
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 09:18:06 PM
Grant, maybe it's a faulty memory, but I thought these two tools were released last year. :think:

They were released last year.  I just got them this year.

Def

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 12:28:41 PM

Def

But, that is why men chase after pretty women, not because they function better...

:D

I read the title as 'CRKT Range Bag'
I was expecting a useful BOB kind of thing  ::)
Everything’s adjustable

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD