Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Taylor Brands Booth

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Taylor Brands Booth
Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 03:10:38 AM
They have been known to bend the tips of their knife blades and whatever long tools to fit it in there...if I recall a photo that was once posted on here. I do not recall who it was that posted it.

THAT photo was pretty damning.

I think it was Bob (J-Sews) that posted the pictures of the knife blade being bent to fit into the handle.

Wow, that is really pathetic. My boss carries a made in the US Tough Tool, and he loves it. It certainly lives up to its name during all the use it sees both at the store and elsewhere. He's a volunteer fireman and the tool goes with him on calls. Good to know he's not carrying one of these new POS ones.

I get phone calls and emails on a fairly regular basis from people who have questions about replacing multitools, what to get, where to get them and so on.  I would say that at least 40% of the calls I get are from people who own old Tough Tools and either lost or broke them and want to know where they can get a replacement.  I tell them all to buy something else as the Tough Tool that's available now is something they simply do not want.  Just about all of them are very sad that they have to get something else.

My father is one of them- he has finally retired his Tough Tool with the broken blade in favor of his SOG Power Assist.  He never did get along well with the Vic Spirit as it was too shiny and pretty to get dirty.  I never thought I'd get him to give up that old Tough Tool.  He still has it, but the Compound Leverage is better for his hands at his age.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Max Archer

Taylor Brands Booth
Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:08 PM
C'mon guys, you're being unfair. They weren't even supposed to be at SHOT, they just got confused on the way to the similar SH(something else)T show.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 08:24:36 PM
I doubt that- if you change the O to an I, it's still useful.  Referring to anything from Taylor brands as such is an insult to fecal matter everywhere.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 08:35:36 PM
I doubt that- if you change the O to an I, it's still useful.  Referring to anything from Taylor brands as such is an insult to fecal matter everywhere.

Def

Yep, I doubt their tools can be used to grow vegetables!
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 08:42:00 PM
Exactly- what use are a set of pliers that bend when you apply even moderate pressure? 

Once again I issue my challenge to Taylor to prove me wrong.  Send me any item from their lineup to test and I will put it alongside similar items in my collection and test them objectively to see if they are as bad as I am implying, or whether I am wrong.  If I am wrong, I will happily issue a public apology for everything I have said about them.

At least a company like Sheffield, who could never be mistaken for a high quality producer can at least claim that while nothing special, at least their products work, and that they don't claim to be US tools, or even try to have them issued to military units.  I would happily take a Sheffield before a Taylor Schrade.

Def

Offline Max Archer

Reply #35 on: January 23, 2012, 09:05:42 PM
More seriously, it's no surprise to me that the tools don't work, and I think it's down to the design as much as the manufacturing quality.

Look how narrow the area between the pivot and the tool area is. This was ok on the originals, because of the high quality steel and high manufacturing standards, but even a minor drop in quality is more than enough to compromise the integrity of the tool. The construction standards of this tool could actually be equal to the Ganzos and other usable Chinese MTs (although I'm not saying it is), but that wouldn't be enough to make this design actually work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 09:12:34 PM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If you are going to put a tool on the market, especially if you are going to pitch it to governmental bean counters as a military tool you should test the thing.  Failing that, I think they should be held accountable for any and all damages resulting from tool failure, meaning if any soldier or private individual is hurt or killed because this tool failed, they should be brought up on charges of negligence.

I can understand the odd accident resulting from the failure of a Leatherman, Victorinox, CRKT, Gerber or SOG tool because there are always going to be the odd defective one in the mix.  But, to knowingly produce a tool that can't even handle basic tasks... well in my book that qualifies as fraud.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:46 PM
..it shows how much weight should be placed on claims by manufacturers that their tool is "used by the military" or "approved for use by the military? etc. as if, only the best would be used by the military.  :D
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 09:20:56 PM
It would be, except equipment selections are often done by bean counters and not people who have ever been outdoors.

Def

Offline Max Archer

Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 09:27:02 PM
Coulda, woulda, shoulda.

If you are going to put a tool on the market, especially if you are going to pitch it to governmental bean counters as a military tool you should test the thing.  Failing that, I think they should be held accountable for any and all damages resulting from tool failure, meaning if any soldier or private individual is hurt or killed because this tool failed, they should be brought up on charges of negligence.

I can understand the odd accident resulting from the failure of a Leatherman, Victorinox, CRKT, Gerber or SOG tool because there are always going to be the odd defective one in the mix.  But, to knowingly produce a tool that can't even handle basic tasks... well in my book that qualifies as fraud.

Def

Oh, I'm definitely not disputing that it's a POS that shouldn't be on their market, just speculating on why it's so bad. Producing a design that you can't make work with your manufacturing quality is just as bad as half-assing the production process on any tool.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #40 on: January 31, 2012, 07:38:20 PM
Ha, I'm looking at a black tough tool right now, "happy" to say the knife tip isn't bent to make it fit into handle. :D thought I don't feel like paying  $20 to see if the handle will bend.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: January 31, 2012, 07:47:44 PM
It will.  Bob's a strong bugger (machinists usually have strong hands from lifting and working with metal) but he really didn't put a lot of effort into it.  I have no doubt he could have pretty well destroyed it if he'd had a mind to do it.

Which means, one of two things.  Either all their tool line is like that in which case I wouldn't pay any kind of money for them, or they just happened to have a bad one at the show.  Having a bad one at the show tells me these guys are so defective they don't even notice their product is crap, and that's a company I don't want to do business with either.

Def

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #42 on: February 05, 2012, 05:35:00 PM
have you seen the new navi tool. I am impressed with the locks and the bright l e d

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #43 on: February 05, 2012, 05:43:10 PM
compass mirror knife saw whistle are all very nice
 my biggest complaint would be the scissors
IMG_20120205_093903.jpg
* IMG_20120205_093903.jpg (Filesize: 80.29 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #44 on: February 05, 2012, 05:45:10 PM
Pic
IMG_20120205_093647.jpg
* IMG_20120205_093647.jpg (Filesize: 258.07 KB)

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #45 on: February 05, 2012, 05:46:59 PM
Pic
IMG_20120205_093726.jpg
* IMG_20120205_093726.jpg (Filesize: 234.28 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #46 on: February 05, 2012, 06:05:39 PM
There's a new Navi-Tool?  Wasn't the old one bad enough?  :P

Holy crap, there is!  Page 58 of the 2012 Schrade catalogue:

http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/uploads/images/2012%20catalog/taylorbrands2012optimized.pdf

We didn't see that at the show.  I am going to have to get one to compare it to the old one.

Def

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #47 on: February 05, 2012, 06:12:04 PM
the design is still just as bad and the execution isn't perfect but the locks on this are much better ground then locks on the tough tool

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #48 on: February 05, 2012, 06:23:03 PM
I am a big fan of the Navi Tool. Going to have to see one of these new ones to compare as well.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #49 on: February 05, 2012, 06:37:40 PM
Chako
I am sure you and I are alike :D I have 1 nra navi tool, 1 schrade, two Iquip (one defective) and now the Taylor tool.
And the number of times I have carried 1 is less than a dozen ::)

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #50 on: February 05, 2012, 08:32:20 PM
I have 2 Navi Tools, 1 iQuip, I don't have this new Taylor tool yet...but I plan to get on as soon as I figure out how to get one. I have carried the Navi Tool about twice as many times as you have. I was not joking when I said I liked the Navi Tool.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 08:36:43 PM
WHOA! (just getting caught up here) They are making the NaviTool again?! Must be they finally sold out of the first batch they made back in 2001! :think: :D

Seriously though, I'm not a fan. The originals were built well enough and all, but the whole thing was just too big and clunky for my tastes. :-\ 

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Reply #52 on: February 05, 2012, 11:09:23 PM
I'm Thinking I Want A Tough Tool Just To Check It Out And Maybe Make It A Beater.
They're Pretty Cheap.
Anyone Have One They Don't Want?
~Jessie~

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #53 on: February 05, 2012, 11:17:30 PM
Find a USA made one- seriously, avoid a Taylor version at all costs.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #54 on: February 06, 2012, 12:54:27 AM
Stay well away from the Tailor made junk.

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 11:45:11 PM
I Should Be Able To Find One.
~Jessie~

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 08:12:49 AM
Oh, I made the mistake of reading through that catalogue.  Runs the gamut from "okay, not TOO bad" to "my god that's a massive piece of smurf".

Why oh why did I do that

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 08:25:40 AM
Because Curiosity Is A Curse! Lol.
If I Wasn't Curious.. I Wouldn't Read Any Threads, And I Wouldn't Want To Try A Tough Tool Lol.
~Jessie~

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD