Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Need some recommendations for walking shoes

Santos · 26 · 6348

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Need some recommendations for walking shoes
on: January 26, 2012, 11:51:33 AM
Last year on impulse i bought a brown set of Wenger shoes on ebay in my size. They where new and cheaper than me buying something similar generic shoe at the shops.  I think they were called Tremmors and they are a very simple brown.
They happen to be the best shoes i have ever owned... and i have not had any success finding a second pair.
They are so comfortable, breathe and are reasonably waterproof. The style is such that i have gotten away using them in more formal occasions while travelling, and whilst they appear to have plenty of life in them they are showing the little signs that say they won't be around forever.

So what i need is to find some replacements before i'm left in a situation that i buy a set of 'tie me over' shoes.
Price isn't an issue providing the maths shows in the durability

Basically i want quality something that shares the simple conservative shoe look so i can slip into fancy functions after a bit of polish whilst travelling, is super comfortable, last a long time and i would be able to survive several warzones.

Suggestions on shoe and boot styles wanted... not whether i should get a boot or a shoe! (Primarily i need a shoe but will be looking into boots) I live in Sydney and most of my local travels are in temperate areas. However i do spend a lot of time in Brazil and the occasional snowboard trip in not so relatively cold regions
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Need some recommendations for walking shoes
Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:04 AM
Ive worn brashers hillmaster for over 13 years now and they are great walking boots, ive got the kevlar ones so pretty water tight and very comfy once worn in, i wear my hillmasters in the winter and in cold wet weather, in the dryer weathter and in the summer i wear Hitec i forget there model but there waterproof and comfy right out of the box, plus lightweight and great in warm weather, ive had a few pairs of hitec and all been very good, ill try and find out the model,  :tu:

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 06:42:54 PM
Though technically light hiking shoes, I am a great fan of my GoLite Rock Lites, which I wear in lieu of tennis shoes these days.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 07:17:39 PM
Is this them?  Good looking shoes mate.

I have the boot version of these really comfortable boots, but can't speak to the shoes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:38:43 PM by Gareth »
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 07:31:34 PM
Here is a pic of my old brasher hillmasters, great boots, and my hitec aukland, very comfy and light,
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 07:37:14 PM by Zed »

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 10:13:21 PM

I have the boot version of these really comfortable boots, but can't speak to the shoes.

Yes thats them... and at that price i'd get 3. Trouble is most places that list them in stock dont actually have them... which i suspect is the case for that link as it says 'no international shipping'

But it sums up what i'm after in a shoe, simple, functuanal and multi-use. I'm tired of crap budget shoes, mine are made in vietnam, where they are made doesn't seem to matter as much as who design and controls the quality for them
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:03 AM
Just did some google fu on GoLite... and the Go lite Lime lite model takes my fancy, will see if i can find an aussie stockiest... is it wrong to want one or two in each of the 4 man colours?

and the travel orientated Discover Lite

« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 12:13:55 AM by Santos »
- Terry Pratchett

ca Offline Suveges

Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 12:13:17 AM
I don't know if they're available in your area, but I usually lean towards Ecco and Rockport.

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:16:31 AM
My original Rock Lites were ochre, which were a lovely orange color, however the soles were no match for some blackberry thorns while I was working an outdoor lab.  They were replaced for free under warranty, though, and my current pair are a subdued grey.  When these die, I'm going to have to try to find another pair for half price, like my first pair. ^^;

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:26:54 AM
The rocklites and endeavourlites also tickle my fancy, but judging from the golite website thet are discontinued models so i'm not getting my hopes up
- Terry Pratchett

us Offline Sazabi

Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 02:21:09 AM
The rocklites and endeavourlites also tickle my fancy, but judging from the golite website thet are discontinued models so i'm not getting my hopes up

:ahhh

I like my shoes, of course they're discontinued now. -__-

Offline sotto

Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 07:23:09 PM
These Wolverine MultiShox are awesome. I have one pair in brown, one in black. Wolverine has lots of models that might fill your bill.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 12:07:05 PM
My current favorite shoe for the outdoors.

For something more conservative.

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 12:16:38 PM
I've had a lot of luck with Merrell hiking shoes and boots.  I don't know that I would buy them online, as I really had to try on a few pair to get the right fit. 

www.merrell.com

I currently wear the Refuge Waterproof and it's by far the best hiker I've owned.
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 03:49:29 PM
May look at Solomon http://www.salomon.com/rs/segment/hiking-shoes.html

Or look at Columbia shoes, they use Vibram...
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 11:03:39 PM
I have very wide feet (4E) and the shoes that have always fit me best are New Balance.  They are also extremely consistent in their sizing, and they use wider, American style lasts in their patterns, rather than the narrower European lasts typical of most shoe companies.  I'm always reluctant to buy shoes online because of the variations in fit for a given size from one company to the next, but I've never had that problem with New Balance.  I know that when I order a 10.5 4E that it's going to fit.  I size up slightly for walking/hiking to an 11 4E to give me more comfort and range of adjustability for thick socks and the like.

Here's a few suggestions from the place I like to buy from:

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MW829BR&size=&width=&category=mwalk&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MW610BR&size=&width=&category=mwalk&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MW755BK&size=&width=&category=mwalk&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=

http://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com/detail.asp?style=MW1755BN&size=&width=&category=mwalk&selection=mshoes&sort=POP&shoeLast=&price=
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #16 on: January 30, 2012, 12:20:41 AM
At the moment i'm just scouting styles and brands, i dont have the dough to put down for shoes. Last friday i was in the city with a friend and to kill some time we visited a street that has 5 upmarket outdoor stores too look at.

Brands i saw where Ecco, Solomon, 510 (know them from climbing) clolumbia and a few others.
I didn't see anything that screamed 'i am the one' so i didn't try anything on since i'm broke till mid february.

One thing i was considering is the weight of the shoe... a lot of heavy duty shoes are... heavy. I have some hiking looking steel capped KING Gee work boots and its the thick soles not the cap that weighs them down... another thing that i have fallen in love with my ultra strong yet ultralight wengers.

the plan is once i have found 'the shoe' (or maybe the shoes, my habbit is to but several in one hit) is to find a store that sell them in autralia. (or at least the brand) Test fit for size and variation accross models and then buy here of if neccessary to get the style

The 'best' candidate i found online so far are
http://www.eccousa.com/shoes/mens/outdoor/track-5-plain-toe-low/2296/detail.aspx

and in store where Ecco Expedition II

My size is generrally always been 43, which means i have had variations from 9.5 to 11 depending on the shoe! Its one of the reasons i go the wengers cause they said SZ43/10 and it was under $50 posted to my doors from the uk or the states... so i was happy to risk it or pass it on to a friend with smaller feet if it was too tight.

i guess i have a narrow foot too  :whistle:
- Terry Pratchett

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 05, 2012, 12:39:28 AM
Rockports are heavy duty that is superlight and and very comfy. They are designed for narrow feet too.  :tu:

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:24:07 PM

Well I've just ordered myself some of these shoes, so I'll see what I think of them when they get here. :tu:

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 01:35:45 AM
they look sweet
- Terry Pratchett

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 01:59:07 AM
they look sweet
cheers Santos. :)  Did you decide on something for yourself yet?

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 03:56:01 PM
I know you're erring towards shoes instead of boots, but I just wanted to add that I got a pair of Scarpa GTX Terra boots a few months ago and they are without a doubt the most comfortable boots I have ever had :)

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-mens-terra-gtx-boots-p142412
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

scotland Offline Nikos

• No Life Club
  • Why is it doing that?
Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 04:08:06 PM
I may have mentioned this before: I used to be a big fan and "chronic" user of boots -- 6'' mostly -- for more than I care to remember (i.e., 20+ years). Then, some years ago I decided to give minimal/barefoot shoes a go, starting with Merrell Tough Gloves. Ever since, all of my boots were phased out, accept for a pair of Asolo's I'm using when hiking in winter, and I don't see myself going back. Of course, ymmv yadda yadda...

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2012, 03:48:15 PM
they look sweet
cheers Santos. :)  Did you decide on something for yourself yet?

Not yet, i was going to look into some ecco's and hitecs but the money i had pegged for shoes got eaten up with me buying a multiple hairdressing package for $300. Business was quiet for my hairdress friend so i figured the shoes and casio could wait another two or three months, keeping my eyes open for bargains though!
- Terry Pratchett

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 09:36:59 PM

Well I've just ordered myself some of these shoes, so I'll see what I think of them when they get here. :tu:

Well I've been wearing these for a couple of days now and so far, so good.  On the silght downside these are pretty heavy for shoes (compared to more casual ones anyway) and the waterproof liner makes them quite warm to wear, so not great for the summer months.  On the plus side though they are comfy and seem well made. :)  Glad I didn't pay full price but for £30 I'm happy enough.

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 12:14:27 AM
Thats why i love my wengers... their outdry system really works, it breathes so well in humid places (like rio de janeiro) and still keep the feet dry
- Terry Pratchett

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD