Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox V.S. Wenger

nelg · 21 · 6014

us Offline nelg

• Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar ??
Victorinox V.S. Wenger
on: January 27, 2012, 04:17:44 AM
I am curious if there is a difference in quality between Victorinox and Wenger. I have a Victorinox Tinker that I have had a long time. I have been contemplating a new one and have been looking at both campanies version. So now I wonder which is better.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Victorinox V.S. Wenger
Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 04:22:55 AM
I've heard stories of Wengers with horrible QC issues. Fortunately for me the four Wengers that I own are fairly new, and the quality has been excellent.  :tu:  My Evo16 hasn't left my pocket since I got it, and I also have an SI, an Evogrip S18, and an Evowood 18. They are all high-quality knives. I like the scissors on Wengers, maybe not as much as Vics but I've had no issues. And I love the locking screwdriver on the Evos. If you've ever had a Vic bottle opener/driver snap closed on you you'll understand  :) .
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 04:51:34 AM
Both Swiss manufacturers produce equally great quality products NOW. There was a time when some of the Wenger knives had some weak springs, or seemed lower than Victorinox. I would say that was about 15-20 years ago. The real differences are your preferences for each type of tool since each can differ in its use and handling. I own and carry EDC versions of both companies modern products.

us Offline bladechick777

• No Life Club
  • I'm An SAK Nut, You're An SAK Nut, Let's Hug! =]
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 05:01:57 AM
I Prefer Victorinox Personally.
But I Have My Eye On A Few Wengers.
~Jessie~

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 05:58:48 AM
I have several Vic's,but the one I personally EDC for the past eighteen years is a Wenger Esquire,I prefer the scissors to all the other multi's that I have,LM,Gerber,Sog,Vic. :salute:

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 10:42:51 AM
The used Wengers I have all have weaker main blade springs compared to my used Victorinox knives (The new are fine). I find them a bit too weak for me. Not a safety issue, just an observation. The other parts of the knives (used) is fine, similar to the Victorinox.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:45:08 AM by dks »
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 11:29:35 AM
I've not got the biggest collection here by a long way, but all my Vics and Wengers are fine. Possibly the only gripe on Wenger is that the backsprings are soft on the nail files - not that it matters in the slightest.

Comparing the two tinker options:

Victorinox is "better" because the blade is larger, you get a second blade, and the can opener doubles as a Phillips driver too to some extent. Also, you can add "plus" scales to add a ballpoint pen and pin

Wenger is "better" because you get a nail file you don't get on the Vic, the bottle opener locks into position when using it as a screwdriver, the can opener makes a great general pokey thing if you don't use it for cans, and overall it's smaller and more pocketable

It all comes down to personal choice, from a quality perspective they will both serve you well  :salute:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 11:33:03 AM
Ive had a few wengers and i prefer there serrated scissors as work well for me at work, but i generaly go for vics , although i have seen a evo17 going pretty cheap, now if it had the small driver on the tin opener i would jump at it, although no big issue really  :D but for me ive had no issues with both vic or wenger,

00 Offline Carlos

Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 12:04:15 PM
To me, to put it simply, vic has overall better design.
For instance, take the wenger's 85mm which compare to the vics 91mm. The 91's have better  ergonomics: they fit better on the hand, have stronger springs, longer tools.
Now, get into the tools: just compare the wenger magnifier with the vics!

I have the swisschamp and the s54, and comparing tool by tool, the vic wins hands down. While there are a few things better on the wenger (blade and inline philips lock, they have a multi size wrench which isn't even available on vic), the vic is just better designed, imho.

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 01:27:39 PM
I like both,but when it comes right down to it,I prefer the vic.It just feels heftier.I just wish that vic had wengers scissors.No small blade on wenger is a big turn off,although i do have a few with the small blade. ( the small blade on the wenger is kind of flimsy IMO )

us Offline Sazabi

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: January 27, 2012, 03:38:31 PM
The thing that puts me off on Wengers is the backspring tools; their pivot holes are slightly closer to the edge of the spring, so though the knives are of comparable quality now (though Wengers are most often about a third higher now ::)), I'd be hesitant to use the backspring tools, simply because I know they're much easier to torque out of alignment. :/

With that said, the Wenger SI = awesome... just, again, not for half again as much as what I can get a Pioneer. :/

us Offline bushidomosquito

Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 01:29:42 PM
Wenger has this neat way of working the scissors off the backspring and it's genius instead of that twangy Jewharp deal that Vic has that gets out of alignment. Vic wins on all other counts IMO especially being available in several stores around my area where Wenger always seems more expensive and harder to find.

I wish Vic. would just admit that Wen. outsmarted them on those scissors and adopt them now that the companies are one and the same.
Sent from my Glock 23 using Doubletaptalk

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 01:46:56 PM
Another vote for Victorinox, but not by me ...

I got a mate of mine a Swisschamp several months back when he asked me to get him a SAK but couldn't make his mind up what implements he wanted on it. I followed this up by giving him a Solingen SAKalike for his trouser pocket as the Swisschamp never left his boat. Recently he asked me to get him another slimmer SAK for his "clean" trousers, as he was always leaving the Solingen in his working trousers.

Again, he was clueless as to what he wanted other than he knew he wanted scissors. I managed to get a Compact cheap along with an EVO14 for around the same money. I took both knives to him and explained the differences and benefits of each knife. He asked if I could leave both with him for a day so he could make his mind up, and the following evening he gave me the EVO14 back. I think the plus scales won him over along with the fine edged scissors, although I think there was also a bit of "better the devil you know".

I already had a serrated Traveller and a Brushed Stainless Traveller, so I gifted the EVO14 to my brother and he's over the moon with it. He's only ever had single blade knives and SAKalikes though, so he hasn't had the opportunity to compare Wenger vs Vic and draw his own conclusions.

Two knives - two manufacturers - two happy people

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #13 on: February 02, 2012, 02:32:59 PM
Wenger has this neat way of working the scissors off the backspring and it's genius instead of that twangy Jewharp deal that Vic has that gets out of alignment.

True but it annoys me that the scissors move up and down when use use them :)
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 02, 2012, 05:42:04 PM
Like most on this forum - I too own both.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd go for Wenger.

The new  breed of wengers are simply superb - I can't help but think victorinox is relaxing too much from past domination -  (yes,yes,  I know they are now one and the same company).

Much talk is said of the so-called weak, soft back springs of wengers - But, how hard can it be to produce a spring that snaps the tools back into their liners - If you're fingers are in the way, you're gonna need some plasters.

However, with the wenger the tools are pulled back in but with much more controlled tension. Much better in my view than having to both struggle and be wary like on the vic's.

Some of the wenger implements I also prefer to victorinox. The scissors are simply fantastic, the can opener is perfection, doubles up as a plastic carton ripper - I used mine last week to unpick some stitching, you wouldn't believe how well it performed.

As to the blade, I prefer the  wenger style blade. Also the new wenger evogrip scales are modern and innovative.

However, the one area were wenger falls flat for me is wenger's insistance of using back spring philip drivers as opposed to in-line end drivers as found on the Explorer, Swiiss Champ. - God  I hate back spring drivers - Hate them!!  :rant:

Tosh
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: February 02, 2012, 05:49:14 PM

However, the one area were wenger falls flat for me is wenger's insistance of using back spring philip drivers as opposed to in-line end drivers as found on the Explorer, Swiiss Champ. - God  I hate back spring drivers - Hate them!!  :rant:

Tosh
I would point out that there are several Wenger knives with the inline Phillips screwdriver AND it has the Pac-Lock technology to keep it from folding up when you apply pressure to it. Let me see if I can produce a decent list of models with this fantastic tool.

OK, this is just a partial list and some are discontinued but you can still find them for sale sometimes. I have not even listed those larger knives.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 06:04:22 PM by stressmaster5000 »

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #16 on: February 02, 2012, 05:50:37 PM

Tosh
I would point out that there are several Wenger knives with the inline Phillips screwdriver AND it has the Pac-Lock technology to keep it from folding up when you apply pressure to it. Let me see if I can produce a decent list of models with this fantastic tool.

... however, these models all now have locking main blades (557 became S557, 54 becams S54 etc)

Why on earth does an 85mm SAK need a lock?  ::)
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 05:52:41 PM by 50ft-trad »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 02, 2012, 06:25:16 PM

Tosh

... however, these models all now have locking main blades (557 became S557, 54 becams S54 etc)

Why on earth does an 85mm SAK need a lock?  ::)

My My...aren't you two on the ball!   :salute:

In my defence, I should have known - I have both the Evogrip 557 and the Wenger Utimate...Doh'

But, in relation to my other comments, do you agree or disagree??

Tosh
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #18 on: February 02, 2012, 06:38:43 PM
Pluses and minuses:

Pluses for Wenger:
1.  Locking blade is great! (S557)
2.  Universal wrench is good (for smaller nuts)
3.  Scissors work great
4.  More compact size compared to 91 or Alox Vic
5. Slip joint pliers are good (enough)

Minuses for Wenger:
1.  I've bent the corkscrew opening wine bottles
2.  The can opener does not work as well on heavy duty cans as a Vic (locking can opener would help)

Pluses for Victorinox
1.  Better corkscrew
2.  Better can opener
3.  ALOX!!!  :drool: :woohoo:
4. Modifiable (moreso than Wenger)
5.  Pen in scale tools

Minuses for Victorinox:
1. Fewer tool options (no universal wrench or chain breaker for instance)
2.  Scissors are less robust
3.  No locking blade option

That's my opinion.  (At least for today)

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 02, 2012, 06:59:40 PM

My My...aren't you two on the ball!   :salute:

In my defence, I should have known - I have both the Evogrip 557 and the Wenger Utimate...Doh'

But, in relation to my other comments, do you agree or disagree??

Tosh
I am not a fan of back spring screwdrivers either flat or Phillips. As far as the weak springs go on Wengers, I still feel it was primarily a phase the company went through years ago as most often its the older ones I find with weaker springs.

I like Wenger's innovations in tools and newer scale designs, while I prefer the overall Victorinox quality and robustness. I do really like the 84mm line of Victorinox and heartily agree with most here who want scissors brought back to the 84mm line.

at Offline Woz

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: February 02, 2012, 07:29:05 PM
I own both, I love both. Vics may be a little better quality, but Wengers are more innovative and better looking imho.
edc-reviews.blogspot.com

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD