Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rew: SafeLight LED Lights 3980

No Life Club Posts: 3,570
Rew: SafeLight LED Lights
« on: August 21, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »
SafeLight is a USA based LED manufacturer. SafeLight products are all about simplicity and usabillity in everyday carry. With diverse series of LED lamps, the SafeLight took his position at the LED market.

Product range of SafeLight consists of following models:

1.   The white LED Survival
2.   The red LED Survival
3.   The blue LED Survival
4.   The green LED Survival
5.   The Star
6.   The Selector

These products are all based on one single model with the difference in the chip drive and user interface. The main differences are the operation modes.The Survival model has three modes low, high and strobe. Also this model has been approved by the U.S. military, and often comes with NVG (night vision googles) green LED, which is also ideal for home use as a handy torch. After the lamp is turned off the eye almost immediately adapt to darkness. This mode is called Constant Glow and the lamp never goes out. Practically, when it is turned off it goes in Constant Glow and it is easier to locate lamp in the dark. This mode is also ideal for the lamp in the nursery/kid’s room, and it’s ideal as travel, camping, hunting, fishing and outdoors adventures LED light. 9V battery operation allows it up to 2 years in the glow mode, and a great deal of autonomy in all other modes. All models have a so-called SafeLight. "Throw on concrete" certificate issued by the U.S. military.

SafeLight lamps are made of silicone rubber which creates protective casing arround battery, LED emiter and drive circuit. The square shape makes it very easy to operate and it won’t roll away from any surface it’s putted on. The housing is composed of two parts, which are secured and holded in position by a metal ring. In addition to the rear of the lamp has a lanyard ring. LEDs are located below the lens that intensifies and narrows the beam. When using a lamp you can see a somewhat bluish tint in center of beam followed by green ring on outskirts (this is spotted in using of white LED), it also has a narrow beam which is a consequence of lens usage (light doesn’t have reflector but it works like with SMO reflector). These lamps are very resistant to shocks and falls, while only wet resistant, not waterproof, so you should be careful if you come near the water with this lamp. Dropping a lamp in water certainly will not end with serious malfunction, just get it out quickly and wipe it out. But submerged into water for longer period will cause some serious damage. SafeLight lamps are available in a variety of body colors and with different accessories.

As already stated, the lamps are based on the same model (shape, materials, LED emitter) with different modes of operation. The Selector allows you to choose between light strenght by simply press the O/I button constantly. Light comes up in hi mod and slowly dim to lowest mode allowing you to stop on wanted level by depressing the button. This model is ideal for those who want the best battery life to light strenght ratio. The selector also has a glow mode. Last model is the simplest model The Star. This light has only one mode on/off and it goes in high when ever used. Other than that it has also Constant Glow mode. One more feature is built in battery save mod, the light will go in Constant Glow mode after 25 min. of being turned on.

There is really not much objection to these lamps, their work, UI or endurance, especially at that price points. They are sufficiently durable, pleasant to use, simple in its election mode, at high intensity and brightness. These are some reasons which lead some countries to choose this manufacturer as a supplier for their armed forces. The lamp is an ideal solution for home lamp, lamp for children, for night walks, a car or a toolchest choice. It is also becoming a great solution for camping, hunting and fishing, and all outdoors adventures. The main drawback of this lamp is its lack of better water resistance and a bit strange rectangular shape that takes time to get used to it, but after that it’s just natural.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/
No Life Club Posts: 2,902
Re: Rew: SafeLight LED Lights
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 07:15:26 PM »
Nice review!  Thanks!

Would you happen to know what the wavelengths on the NVG and the red models are?  I'm curious to know if the NVG is a true 'NVG' meaning about 405 nm, and if the red model is actually red-orange (620 nm - 630 nm) or if it's a true deep red (660 nm - 670 nm).

The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:59 PM »
Wow... Great question!! I'll get back to you wizh A:! :salute: :salute:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
No Life Club Posts: 1,473
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
Great review!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 10:16:41 PM »

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Zombie Apprentice Posts: 12,974
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:20:42 PM »
Nice review and a usefull looking light  :tu:

Everything’s adjustable
No Life Club Posts: 2,549
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 03:30:30 AM »
Hm... wonder if I could slap an XM-L in one of those.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 10:54:28 AM »
I'd like to see that...  :D :D

FYI they are very easy to open...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 11:02:09 AM »
These look like a useful torch to keep in the car or tool box  :tu:

And a good way of using the old batteries from your smoke detectors when you change them (every year or two)  :salute:

Yep now I need one  ::) :ahhh

Everything’s adjustable
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 11:11:44 AM »
 :salute: :tu:

They are on sale/trade now...  :salute: :salute: :salute:

I'll make a post.... Later

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,310
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 11:23:58 AM »
I have wondered before why a 9V cell isn't more popular, I'm sure one of our torch nuts could tell me, but it seems to work in this light. :tu:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 11:41:07 AM »
IMHO it's all about size and shape of 9V  :think: :think: :think:

People are used to have round cylindrical lights... :think: :think:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 12:17:43 PM »
Probably you are right.  with that in mind could you take an 'in hand' picture?  Or perhaps one next to a 9V cell?  I'm wondering just how large or small these things actually are. :cheers:

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 12:38:17 PM »
Here ya go

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 12:48:46 PM »
perfect mate. :tu:  So quite a bit shorter than I had in my mind, but still thick. :)

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 12:56:30 PM »
Yep, somewhat thick and square...

The rubber/sillicone housing fits like glove to battery...

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 05:40:49 PM »
I have wondered before why a 9V cell isn't more popular, I'm sure one of our torch nuts could tell me, but it seems to work in this light. :tu:

I suspect they use 9V's for them because of the voltage level.  It's a lot easier to design an LED driver circuit with a higher voltage than it is to use a lower voltage, or a wider range of voltages.

With a 9V battery, which is actually 6xAAAA cells at 1.5v each, your driver circuit can be very narrow range, which increases the efficiency of the light because you only need a very basic inductor to drive the LED with the current you have.  More energy goes to the emitter and less is wasted by the inductor having to change the voltage to a level that the LED can safely use.  This gives them more output and more run time too.

This is one of the reasons that the new Zebralights are some of the brightest and most efficient LED pocket lights out there right now.  By only supporting a voltage range from about 2v to .9v, they get more life out of a cell, and can supply that power more efficiently to the emitter for more output and more run times.  Of course Zebras are in a different class that the PAL's because they use premium high efficiency emitters like Crees and Luxeons, whereas the PAL's use 5mm Nichias IIRC, which is another reason why they're less expensive than something like a ZL.

The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.
Sr. Member Posts: 474
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 06:07:54 PM »
Great light   :tu:

And great background BTW :D
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 08:51:52 PM »

Everything’s adjustable
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2011, 05:38:24 PM »
Yep Handyman is cool light, and if anyone wants it, now is the time... They discontinued this one, so look for old stock.  :salute: :salute: :tu: :tu: :tu:

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »
That's a shame!  :o
They look great to me, Orange with a clip  :drool:

Everything’s adjustable
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2012, 11:27:56 AM »
I keep telling myself I'm going to get my daughter a Star for a nightlight and camping, but I never seem to get around to it...  to bad they don't have a pink one!  :angel:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
November Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: $238.93
PayPal Fees: $15.21
Net Balance: $223.72
Below Goal: $76.28
Site Currency: USD
75%