Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Recommendations for a one person shelter

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
on: February 08, 2012, 01:32:39 AM
Hi guys.  (And gals; I know we have some female members!)

I'm looking for a small and lightweight one person shelter.  When I'm out hiking in the wilderness, even just for day hikes, I have a policy of always taking with me the things I need to be able to survive a night outside should I get lost or injured.  So far I've limited myself to emergency survival type of supplies.  I learned how to use garbage bags, duct tape, and pine straw to make an emergency sleeping bag in one of the survival classes I took. 

However, I'd like to get a real, one person shelter to keep in my hiking pack for such things.  I've looked around and seen a few things that look promising, but I'd like to hear any suggestions you guys might have. 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Recommendations for a one person shelter
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 01:50:26 AM
It's amazing what you find at Wall Mart. I got a nice three person tent for about $30 there last year.  It's nothing special and I don't imagine it'll last as good as a real tent from an outfitter but they are easy to set up and are great for emergency use.  Get a two man tent if you want to be able to use of for one person, or a three man for two people. They seem to be designed for very small people.

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:50:34 AM
I have the cheap walmart tent, it's fine as long as it's not raining, not windy and not cold.  :P

But it's way too big and heavy for something to carry in a pack though, in fact even the super expensive ones are still too much for something "just in case". I would just carry something like AMK heetsheet, emergency bivy, or coghlan's tube tent with tools to set it up.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:49:55 AM
I hate to say this, but probably some of the best reviews for backpacking tents that I have seen have come form nutnfancy.

If you Google "nutnfancy tents", the first part of his reviews should come up.
Never underestimate the power of the fleece

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 08:56:36 AM
When I finally get round to it, I'm hoping to do a 14 day hike and have been looking at the six moons range. They tend to get excellent reviews

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 01:18:29 PM

:think: :D :D.

These ones may be less smelly but I am not sure if they are Arctic rated  :think: :D

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

ca Offline Beerplumber

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 02:31:39 PM
...and I thought they smelled bad ... on the outside!...

Stay multi my friends

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 07:39:10 PM
Thanks for the info guys.  I've looked around, and I'm thinking that a bivy-sack might be the way to go for a 'just in case' shelter.

For a small tent, I've seen a few things I like but I keep telling myself it's too much weight and bulk. 

The tube-tent idea is interesting too.  If it's waterproof, it might be an option too.

I recently found a line of tents made my Wechsel, but they seem to only be available in Europe.  Any of you guys over there have any experience with them?  They seem to be popular and well regarded.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 09:16:16 PM
Simple question, but what about a tarp?

Def

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 09:21:51 PM
I have a Eureka Backcountry 1.  It will hold a little more than 1 man (ie you could put 2 in there and sleep in an emergency or 3 sitting.  It has a bathtub bottom.  In a HUGE deluge up in the Catskills (3 inches in 90 minutes), it was 100% waterproof.  To me, the only reasons to have a tent are:

1. To stay dry
2. To stay warmer (in winter camping)

Aside from that, I'd just sleep on the ground.

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 11:14:35 PM

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 07:13:01 PM
Def,

I'd been considering a tarp but was hoping to find something less bulky.  That AMK bivy looks interesting.

I checked out the Six Moons stuff too, and their little 'Scout' tent looks pretty sweet!  Very light and compact, and not too expensive.  More than a tarp, but less than some of the bivy's I was looking at.

Thanks again for the suggestions.  More grist for the mill.  :)

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2012, 03:49:15 AM
I have a Eureka Backcountry 1.  It will hold a little more than 1 man (ie you could put 2 in there and sleep in an emergency or 3 sitting.  It has a bathtub bottom.  In a HUGE deluge up in the Catskills (3 inches in 90 minutes), it was 100% waterproof.  To me, the only reasons to have a tent are:

1. To stay dry
2. To stay warmer (in winter camping)

Aside from that, I'd just sleep on the ground.

3. BUGS!!!

On an offroad trip a few years back the mosquitos were so bad that deet had no effect, any body parts not covered in clothing or bug net were full of bites by end of day.

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2012, 03:53:15 AM
This is an Australian product, but I've always wanted one of these, for the same reasons you're looking for one :)
http://www.blackwolf.com.au/product-details.php?product_id=135&category_id=22
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: February 10, 2012, 09:00:54 AM
This is an Australian product, but I've always wanted one of these, for the same reasons you're looking for one :)

Simon, that looks awesome!!!  Wow!  That is the coolest bivy I think I've ever seen!  That's definitely going on my list!  Thanks!

au Offline mvyrmnd

• Tupperware Hunter
Reply #15 on: February 10, 2012, 11:11:45 AM
Here's a few more options.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/lightweight-hiking-tents-person-hiking-tents-c-145_149_286.html

I've been trying to decide which one I like best... I think I need to see them in person first!
Just don't say fecal coagulation.  :twak: - Mr. Whippy

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 10, 2012, 08:48:02 PM
Here's a few more options.

http://www.wildearth.com.au/lightweight-hiking-tents-person-hiking-tents-c-145_149_286.html

I've been trying to decide which one I like best... I think I need to see them in person first!
Completely understandable...  Just from looking at the page, I find the Mantis and the Companion the most interesting.  Now to see if I can find a dealer here in the states. :p

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 09:51:41 PM
I use a hammock with a bug net and a tarp to stay dry. No need for a sleeping pad, and much easier to pick a site - just need 2 trees 15' or so apart.

If you are even barely able to operate a mechanical thread injector (aka sewing machine), you can make your own gear very inexpensively. There is a lot of info available online on how to DIY hammock gear.

Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 01:30:14 PM

That is an excellent looking option. :tu:

Personally I have always carried a simple orange survival bag.  Never had to use it mind you, but it's a heck of a lot better than nothing.

Not my pic, but you get the idea.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• No Life Club
Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 08:54:06 PM
That Blackwolf bivy looks awfully nice.  I still also really like the Six Moons Scout as well. 

Right now I carry a couple of XL contractor's grade garbage bags (about 3 mil thick) and some duct tape rolled up on a pencil for emergency use.  It's fairly easy to make an impromptu sleeping bag with that and some pine-straw, but I'm looking for something that will also work in rain or snow.

thanks for the video Gareth!  Definitely a nice bag.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: February 17, 2012, 01:48:03 AM
A number of years ago I saw a hammock/tent combo that I thought was pretty neat.  Basically it's like the bivy products above, but you hang it up like a hammock.  I haven't seen one of them in a while, which is too bad because I thought it was a neat idea.

Def

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #21 on: February 17, 2012, 02:00:33 AM
!

us Offline Makaveli

Reply #22 on: February 17, 2012, 02:04:38 AM
Etowah tarp.  Very lightweight and compact.

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 02:44:38 AM
A number of years ago I saw a hammock/tent combo that I thought was pretty neat.  Basically it's like the bivy products above, but you hang it up like a hammock.  I haven't seen one of them in a while, which is too bad because I thought it was a neat idea.

Def
I'm a stomach/side sleeper... just can't sleep in a hammock because it puts me on my back.   :ahhh

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 04:25:10 AM
Usually I am too, but I can sleep on my back if that's all that's available.

Def

ca Offline 16VGTIDave

Reply #25 on: February 17, 2012, 03:00:32 PM
Sleeping in a hammock, the way you like to sleep, is just a matter of hanging the hammock correctly. I sleep mainly on my back, but also on my sides.

What I had to learn was to string my hammock with more sag in it, not less, so I could sleep flatter. Counter-intuitive, but it works. The trick is to lie on an angle in the hammock, with your center of mass (waist for most people) on the center line, head to one side, and feet to the other. This results in a flat sleeping position. Rolling onto my side from there is no problem. Though I tend to roll around less as there are fewer pressure points and less back pain. Oh, and my wife isn't stealing the covers either! ;)

I'm in the process of making a tent like structure for my hammock out of Typar. The hope is that it will be lightweight, water and wind resistant, and possibly breathable. Oh, and it won't cost me anything more than my time as I have a part roll left over from some home renovations. :)

Dave

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk
I EDC'd a SAK before MacGyver did...

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #26 on: February 17, 2012, 03:07:57 PM
Seems to be a plethora of "Jungle Hammocks" out there:

Jungle Hammocks on Amazon

se Offline kinskibrain

Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 05:20:30 PM
I most often take a tarp. If I exit the forest and vulnerable to wind and snow I like to have a proper tent. It's expensive, but well worth it - The Hilleberg Akto. Do a search on Youtube for some good video reviews.

http://hilleberg.se/product/akto

us Offline Revs

Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:54 AM
You could always make a sil-cloth tarp and pack it away.  They are fairly small when packed and you could use them between two trees like a pup tent or staked out to one tree with three sides down to keep more heat in/wind out.

us Offline turnsouth

• No Life Club
  • There is no spoon
Reply #29 on: February 20, 2012, 01:49:01 AM
Also, if go to Colin's YT channel, he has over half a dozen videos where he went out in the woods and gave some shelters real world testing:

http://www.youtube.com/user/ColinOutdoors/videos

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21