Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Headlamp review: Zebralight H31F, Petzl Tikka plus, Fenix MC10

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
For years, one of my requirements for a flashlight was, "It has to be comfortable to hold in my mouth".  This is because I have never been all that happy with my Petzl Tikka plus.  This has been because the Tikka plus had low light output, finicky user interface and changing batteries (AAAX3 in a floppy 2 part case) is always a battle of attrition.

Because of these irritations, it has been relegated to non-critical settings only.

A while back, I picked up a Fenix MC10, in part to use as a headlamp.  It is a marked improvement in terms of light quality and battery changing (AAX1 in a screwcap tube), but the user interface is still a little fiddly (ie if you bump it hard, it will shut off) and the form is a little bulky.

Enter the new Zebralight H31F.  It is the brightest, which is not surprising because it's a CR123 X1 light but also has easy screwcap battery changing AND the bonus of being the most compact of the 3 with a very user friendly large button interface.

Here's the comparison with photos:

The Fenix MC10 doesn't come standard with a headband but it is available.  The other two have very nice quality headbands.

Size comparisons:

As you can see, the Fenix MC10 has the projecting head.  This actually swivels up and down, which is nice when you're setting the light on it's tail for work.  The add-on diffuser works well, but definitely adds bulk.  The Zebralight is smallest by far.

In the last picture you can see the user interfaces.  The MC10 has a small blue button, the Zebralight a large black button and the Petzl has the nearly flush long narrow orange button.

Here's another shot of the Petzl button.  Imagine trying to deal with that, in the dark, with gloves on  ::)

Here is a shot of the massive pain in the rear that is the battery compartment of the Petzl:

Those batteries don't lock in place either.  If you yank on the other half of the case, the rubber band hinges pop out the last battery. :oops:

Next is the Fenix MC10.  A vast improvement:

And the Zebralight H31F with a similar battery case to the Fenix:

So how is the light?

The brightest setting on the Petzl is equivalent to the middle setting on the Zebralight.

Here are how the Zebralight and Fenix compare:

Zebralight (main settings.  Subsettings available)     Fenix MC10
220                                                                      125
43                                                                         50
5     lumen                                                               5

There are flashing modes, etc but for my use, these are the relevant numbers.  (Fenix goes M,L,H, Zebralight goes L,M,H)

Is there a clear winner?  For me, yes.  The Zebralight is more compact than the MC10 with less parts to break (ie diffuser) and has a better user interface.

Is there a clear loser? IMO, the Petzl has no features that make it rise above the other two in ANY category.  It is a light that times have left behind.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Re: Headlamp review: Zebralight H31F, Petzl Tikka plus, Fenix MC10
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 06:29:55 PM
Great write up Mr W. :tu:

I'm a big fan of the ZL headlights... had a H501 for a few years now and it's an excellent piece of kit. The battery life of a AA Eneloop alone is a deal winner for me.
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 07:24:57 PM

Is there a clear winner?  For me, yes.  The Zebralight is more compact than the MC10 with less parts to break (ie diffuser) and has a better user interface.

Is there a clear loser? IMO, the Petzl has no features that make it rise above the other two in ANY category.  It is a light that times have left behind.

Nice review!   :cheers:  Welcome to the Zebralight fan-club! :D  I've got four ZL's and love all of them.  Best EDC lights on the market right now IMHO. 

I have an H51w that's my EDC headlamp.  (Yes, I carry a headlamp in my EDC bag; you never know...) 

I have struggled for years to find a small, lightweight, and simple headlamp that meets all my needs.  I've tried PT's, BD's, a Brunton, etc.  At best I found them adequate but none of them really worked well for me.  I too hate the hell of 3xAAA cells.  It's a leftover of a bygone era, and such lights are only still available because most people don't know any better, and most of the big headlamp companies are too cheap to actually design a headlamp that uses a modern driver.

Since I got my H51w I've never looked back.  Not only is a better light in every way, but I also get my choice of neutral or HCRI emitters; the run of the mill companies can't touch that either. 

I'll never use another 3xAAA headlamp again.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Online gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:29:58 PM
Nice review  :tu:

I too am a Zebralight fan, although I haven't tried one of their headlamps.

My current go-to 1xAA light is an sc50w+.  I absolutely love the tint, size and UI and think it looks quite good as well.  I'm kinda tired of all the black tactical lights that are all the rage  ::)

I also like that even with the regular sc series lights they include a headband.  Quite handy!
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:13 PM
I think that petzl model has been around before there was fenix or zebralight, so it's pretty antiqued by now. Although petzl is very slow to adapt new technology, heck they still don't have a regulation circuit in their lights.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 07:57:07 PM
I think that petzl model has been around before there was fenix or zebralight, so it's pretty antiqued by now. Although petzl is very slow to adapt new technology, heck they still don't have a regulation circuit in their lights.

I like my Petzl Quarks...

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #6 on: February 10, 2012, 12:45:42 AM
Thanks for the closer look- as you know I'm considering a new headlamp and looking at Zebra so it's nice to see they aren't too shabby!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2012, 01:59:15 AM
Thanks for the closer look- as you know I'm considering a new headlamp and looking at Zebra so it's nice to see they aren't too shabby!

Def

The Zebralight is a very clean, no nonsense light with an easy to use interface and modern light output.   My Fenix MC10 may go up for trade/sale.  The Petzl?  I'm going to rob the headband and trash the light, I think.

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 02:27:28 AM

Def

The Zebralight is a very clean, no nonsense light with an easy to use interface and modern light output.   My Fenix MC10 may go up for trade/sale.  The Petzl?  I'm going to rob the headband and trash the light, I think.

Do what I did with my old Byte... get some of those cheap fridge magnets, and epoxy one or two of them on the back of the bracket, and stash it in your handyman toolbox.  That way you can stick on things when your fixing stuff if you need extra light. 

Nice ice axes BTW... I haven't done anything I need them for, but that has never stopped me from appreciating them as equipment... 
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $77.71
PayPal Fees: $4.22
Net Balance: $73.49
Below Goal: $226.51
Site Currency: USD
24%