Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Guppie

cs Offline edcgear

• No Life Club
CRKT Guppie
on: May 28, 2011, 08:33:28 AM
Guppie is yet another versatile multitooltool that comes as a product of great ideas and designs from CRKT kitchen. Tom Stokes and Barber Launce from ID Works Creative Laboratory at Columbia River Knives and Tools are the ones to “blame” for this great little multitool. Apart of being a nice gadget, Guppie is also a great addition to any EDC.

CRKT Guppie is made of stainless steel 2Cr13 and overall dimensions are:

1. Overall length 140mm Open Tool
2. Length of the closed tool 90mm
3. Weight 116g

Blade length is 2 "and it is wharncliff shape, making it ideal for precision cutting jobs. The blade is hollow grinded and in black finish. The blade is tempered at 51-53 HRC. The blade can be opened with one handed but it does not lock up. On one side of Guppie’s body is universal adjustable wrench, which can be adjusted for maximum size up to ½ "or 12.7 mm, and this is mainly the scope of minor repairs for which this tool is suitable. On the other side of the body CRKT Guppie sports a carabineer suitable for attaching tool for any part of gear, besides that there is a pocket clip so it can be worn almost anywhere and in any way. On the back is the ¼ " bit holder with magnetic holder.

At Guppie’s body we can find attached a bit holder, namely the holder has a magnet on it and two circular protrusions that lay precisely in its place on the body and so are very firmly attached. Bit holder has a LED light, albeit a modest capability, but enough to help in situations where light is needed. The carrier bits are neatly arranged and there you can find four standard bits, two Phillips and two flat, which is also quite sufficient for most repairs.

CRKT Guppie is very interesting, well-resolved constructive and efficient tool that shows all of its value in the urban environment, at home and at work. It is almost ideal for small daily tasks that we encounter. Highly desirable design is quite eye catching. Guppie can equally well be used use by professionals as well as amateurs. CRKT Guppie is certainly a very valuable part of any EDC kit.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
There is method to my madness....
http://svakodnevnesitnice.blogspot.com/

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Re: CRKT Guppie
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 10:10:46 AM
 :tu: Thank you.

I always enjoy the thinking behind CRKT products.

Definitely one of the best looking Multi-Tools; really cute.

I only wish the adjustable wrench felt a bit more solid, maybe by making the threads closer together so that it can grip harder (increased mechanical advantage) and not rattle.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:08:37 PM
Really like the look of it, dunno or the quality is like LM or more like Gerber products
Someone who wants finds a solution
Someone who doesn't want finds an excuse

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 01:19:59 PM
Just bought my Guppie today, at first look it felt solid and a well built tool, but after playing a little with it I did find some flaws that i know are going to make me leave this tool at home in the future.

The things that bothered me; the caribiner hook. When you open the hook there is a lot of free play on it, even after tightening the screw this didn't resolve anything. Secondly the free play of the wrench jaw; there was some play on the caribiner hook, but the play on the wrench is enormous for such a little tool. I could move the mouth of the wrench easily 4 to 5 mm.

Still like the overall style and form, but this tool isn't anywhere near the quality of LM, more in the line of Gerber products. Just my 2 p's.....

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:22:31 PM

I only wish the adjustable wrench felt a bit more solid, maybe by making the threads closer together so that it can grip harder (increased mechanical advantage) and not rattle.

Told you!  :D

It is more of a gadget than a hard use item, but is sooooo cute!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 05:02:37 PM
I like the Guppie.  On my first tool, the adjustable jaws had much better tolerances than my second one (a couple years later).  My biggest complaint is the jaws don't go quite wide enough.

nl Offline Desmodromic

Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 06:16:03 PM
I like the Guppie.  On my first tool, the adjustable jaws had much better tolerances than my second one (a couple years later).  My biggest complaint is the jaws don't go quite wide enough.

Agreed, I really like the design, and I think i'm gonna live with it, but not in the same quality street like LM unfortunatly. Have a knive from CRKT in the mail too (The H.U.G) hope that will be better....

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 02:56:22 AM
I haven't carried my Guppie for about a year now. No particular reason mind you, it just fell out of rotation and I sort of forgot about it. If anything, my only issue with it is that I wish the backspring on the knife blade were a bit stouter. :-\ The blade seems pretty "floppy" on mine (but maybe yours doesn't have this problem..?)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%