Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not sure if this is a gadget or tool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Not sure if this is a gadget or tool
on: August 25, 2008, 02:12:33 PM
I got myself a Hi Lift jack for the Jeep:

Pretty excited about that, although I'm not sure if it qualifies as a tool or a gadget!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Re: Not sure if this is a gadget or tool
Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 02:14:43 PM
is it made outta sv30?

is the sheath well done :D?

anyway that hooks beats swiss hooks 6-0 anytime :cheers:

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 04:01:07 PM
Congrats!

That is definitely a tool.  I have a 48" Hi-Lift in the back of my Jeep at all times with the bumper hook (letter "D").  I got lucky one day at TSC (Tractor Supply Company) and they incorrectly had them marked at $29!  That price was for the all iron one too, not the one with the stamped steel parts.

Keep it greased and it will always serve you well.  I've used mine many times as a jack, and as a winch on several occasions too.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 04:06:06 PM
I didn't get all the other stuff in the picture, just the jack.  And, it's not a "Hi Lift" brand, it is a Jackall from Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672442&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442131997&bmUID=1219673066631&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Now all I have to do is decide on a mounting method.  The tiny little bottle jack that came with my Jeep is almost useless with stock tires on it, I imagine it'll be even worse when I get the 31" tires next year.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 04:09:42 PM
Also, when it said 8,000 pounds, I thought that was what it was rated for, not how much the darn thing weighs!

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 04:18:38 PM
I didn't get all the other stuff in the picture, just the jack.  And, it's not a "Hi Lift" brand, it is a Jackall from Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=1408474396672442&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442131997&bmUID=1219673066631&assortment=primary&fromSearch=true

Now all I have to do is decide on a mounting method.  The tiny little bottle jack that came with my Jeep is almost useless with stock tires on it, I imagine it'll be even worse when I get the 31" tires next year.

Def

Nice.  The jackall looks nice and heavy duty in the pics, and the description says it is all cast.  The Hi-Lift is rated to 7,000 lbs, and the jackall is 8,000.  NATO approved too!

I would mount it to the roll cage if it's not too long.  Mine will eventually be mounted to a Yakima roof rack.  There are mounting accessories available for the Hi-Lift that would fit that jack, but I'm sure it would be cheaper to fab your own.
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:41:50 PM
I wasn't sure that a NATO approval was a good thing or not...  :ahhh

Still, I am certain that even though it isn't the Hi-Lift it will work well enough.  I did find that the foot doesn't extend far enough to make this functional on my Sunfire, so when changing a wheel yesterday I had to use the piddly little scissor lift thing that came with it.

That's ok- I'm sure the Jeep tires will go flat soon enough! :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 03:22:40 PM
I just posted this as today's SAKtivity, but I felt it was pertinent here too:

This is my Jackall jack- although because of the potentially dirty name, I will continue referring to it as a HiLift, simply because I can.  :D

Pictured with it is my 93mm KL89 Dutch Army Knife for reference.  For those of you without a DAK, it's the same size as a Soldier.  For those of you without a Soldier, I guess you are just going to have to go out and get a Jackall...  ::)

Def

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 03:31:07 PM

Def

You are suppose to put the stock bottle jack under axle tube, not frame.  ;)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 03:37:30 PM
Def, is the handle welded to the Jackall?
- Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 03:50:25 PM
I plan on putting the bottle jack under a heavy crane at work.  5 seconds of amusement is probably all that thing is worth!  :P

The handle is welded to a bracket that is pinned to the levers.  I'll try to get better pics if you like?

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 05:30:08 AM
I've got a Hi Lift jack. 99% of the time it is just a big clumsy lummox of a thing to carry around. But all it had to do was bail me out once and it was all worthwhile. Me and a buddy were crossing an area of extremely soft sand in his old 1980 Chevy Blazer. The vehicle weighs about 50 tons, so when he buried it down to the axles both front and rear we were doomed. No other vehicles around for miles and miles, so no hope of getting pulled out of trouble. After much futile digging and cursing we took the Hi Lift and jacked up one corner of the Blazer until the tire was up high and out of its hole. Then we filled the sand back into the hole, spread some tree branches on top of it, then lowered the tire down. We did this to all four tires, so the vehicle was back up on the surface. Gingerly driving it out on a blanket of tree bark and branches, we finally reached the main road. Whew! The Hi Lift has gone on every offroad trip since then.  :)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 09:25:54 AM
Handy buggers, aren't they?  I haven't had to use mine yet, but I'm sure when the day comes that I have to, I will be glad to have it.  I keep a number of tow straps and chains in the Jeep too, so if I should get stuck I have the option of lifting the wheels and filling the holes, or strapping it to a tree and winching the Jeep out manually.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #13 on: September 02, 2008, 03:43:48 PM
No pictures needed Def.  I was just wondering about the handle, because the HiLift has a removable, bolt-on handle.  I've found it very useful to apply torque or leverage for jobs I probably shouldn't be using it for.  :D
- Terry

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD