Multitool.org Forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Livarno, Romisen, C8, Small Sun cheap HID torches 39168

Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,946 Bored

dks cy

Re: Livarno, Romisen, C8, Small Sun cheap HID torches
« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2021, 09:23:29 AM »
Jetbeam Mini One SE

This is another small keychain light, available with a metal or plastic opaque body and metal head (SS). It is also available from Nitecore, with lower power output - Nitecore Tiki. (Nitecore and Jetbeam are related, from what I know, part of Sysmax)

Having an internal battery and an on/off button helps it to be quite small, comparable to an AA battery.

Specifications can be found here : http://www.jetbeamlight.com/products_show318.html

The turbo output is 500LM (30s) and it has regular modes from 200 to 1LM (could have been lower). Nice white beam.

I have included some comparison photographs with the Tank007E09. The beam comparisons are done with both on High, Tank at 120 and Mini at 200LM. The Mini has a hotter central spot and more spread.

The light brings many functions of cheaper. fun, lights to  a product made by a real company.

It has, in addition to the standard beam, 4 extra lights on its side.

3 are powerful (150LM) coloured LEDs (R, G, B) that can flash in sequence. This function is useful when walking (the reason I got this light) or for parties....
You can also have just the red LED flashing, like a beacon, just the red or blue on etc.

1 is a UV light, reasonably bright that can be used for various tasks, like checking the cleanliness of toilets, checking money and so on.

You access the main modes by number of clicks and then change through the variants with longer clicks. Easy and simple.

Why did I get the plastic bodied one instead of the metal bodied one?

The plastic one luminesces in the dark (like watch dials). The metal one does not.

When you use the coloured LEDs in the plastic one, you get light form all around the body of the light, making you more visible. With the metal one, if you accidentally cover the LEDs with your finger or body then  you will not get any light coming out.

The plastic one is cheaper - about 18USD should get you one to Europe, whereas the metal one is a few USDs more, usually

However, the metal one looks fancier/classier and should be tougher.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 11:26:05 AM by dks »

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,610 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2021, 01:49:39 PM »
You miss me here? ;)

Some interesting lights, I like that BLF one with the 4 parallel cell setup, but I'd prefer it to be a flood light for photographing large dark spaces.

And the last keychain light is cute. It wouldn't push out my old trusty ITP A3 SS off of my keychain but it would be a nice toy to play with ;)

Also nice to see you still loving the Tank, I'm guessing it's your favourite keychain light still, right?

dks cy

« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2021, 02:16:39 PM »
You and Gareth keep this thread alive.

The tanks never die, I just replace them occasionally with something fancier on keychains.

I still have the original 3 or 4 that I bought and they work as new. That one has been continuously on the keychain for several years.

There are a few new BLF lights available too, but I am generally happy with what I currently have - though I did go to BLF a few days ago and ended up ordering another light.....

The only light that needed replacing in the past few years was the nitecore tip.

The runtime, beam quality and brightness you can get from the newer lights is impressive, especially compared to what you were getting about 10 years ago

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]
Global Moderator Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 20,610 I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2021, 04:28:08 PM »
I have one of those Tanks in the collection but rarely carry it, still works great though and I understand why you like it so much.

I know the BLF specials can be very nice, I have a BLF Mini CR123 and the Starry Light SA-22 BLF Edition I think you also have, with the 4xAA setup and they are great bang for the buck. But I don't go to BLF anymore that often so am not familiar with what the newest offering is.

I found my sweet spot both in multitools, SAKs and flashlights some time ago and am not searching for the newest best thing anymore as I used to. But it's nice to read your views on them, you know I enjoy these posts a lot.

dks cy

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2021, 06:01:20 PM »
I go to BLF once a year... usually end up buying something.

The starry light works well too, apart from some discolouration/deposits in the lens, which can not be easily removed to be cleaned.

I though it had some problems a few weeks ago, but it just needed a new set of batteries as the old ones, eneloops were not charging properly.

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,928
« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2021, 01:46:47 PM »
You and Gareth keep this thread alive.

Glad to be of service.  :D

The new Jetbeam looks like update of the Tiki for sure.  Different charging port, LEDs and different UI.  I like the idea of it being glow in the dark too.  I've had my Tiki on my keys nearly every day of the last 10 months and honestly I can't see a single blemish on the plastic.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

dks cy

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2021, 01:57:08 PM »
The actual high on the TIKI is higher, 300LM instead of 200, though the Turbo on the Mini is 500.
The Tiki also has a bigger battery, and noticeably better, on paper, runtimes.

Admin Team Point Of No Return Posts: 32,928
« Reply #188 on: April 08, 2021, 03:19:21 PM »
I was thinking that the turbo was rated at more than 200 when I bought mine. :)

Looking at the two I suspect that I'd still buy the Tiki over the One SE.  However that's a matter of preference and each to their own.  The Rovyvon range is worth a look too but, again, the specific features of the Tiki seemed to suit me best.

Try not to be the person who blunders around and causes everyone else to get out the way.  Everyone else thinks you're a utter...

dks cy

« Reply #189 on: April 08, 2021, 03:50:16 PM »
Turbo on MINI 500LM (as long as you keep the button pressed), regular high 200
on the Tiki, no turbo but regular high is 300LM

dks cy

« Reply #190 on: April 22, 2021, 09:34:48 AM »
After wandering into BLF I ended up ordering a couple more lights. This is one.

Sofirn D35S.

Sofirn seems to be fashionable these days and gets decent reviews (This happens with many companies that appear for a while, make good products and sometimes just disappear - hopefully they will stay)

This was just over 15 USD delivered to me in 2 weeks from China. I ordered from their website, which seems to have the best prices.
Came in a branded box with an A4 English manual.
No branding on the light, which seems to be sold under other names too.

Specifications:
Emitter: SST40
Material: Aircraft-grade 6063 Aluminium Alloy
Nominal voltage: 3.7V
Power Source: 1x 18650 rechargeable battery
Dimension: 86mm (length) × 25mm (head diameter)
Weight: 2.9 ounces (Excluding battery)
Five Light Modes:
Low: 70LM; Medium 1: 120LM; Medium 2: 300LM; High: 600LM; Turbo: 1200LM
Also, Strobe and Beacon. Simple interface with one button.

I ordered the version with the battery, branded Sofirn, though I do not know who makes it. The version with the battery was cheaper than the one without, at the time.
Comes with a simple but effective headband.

The light can be adjusted for angle whilst on your head.

Feels reasonably light. I used it for half an hour working on a car and it felt fine.

It comes with USB charging. The charger contained in the light charged the battery to around 4.10V, using a 0.5V USB suply. I was able to add another 200mAh using an external charger. The charging point is nicely hidden by a cap, which you unscrew to use it – see photographs.
If you do not care about the extra mAh the included charger is fine as it slightly undercharges, which does not do the battery any damage.
The battery can be removed easily for charging, though the screw cap for the battery feels really thin, reminding me of screw caps on cigar tubes. I assume this was done to save weight, but it does not feel very strong.

For some reason they went with two LEDs, though they could have used one as the total output is not that high.
So, the LEDs should be pretty unstressed and last long.

The beam is wide, as the orange peel reflectors are quite small. Slightly green, but not noticeable in actual use.
In the photographs you see a comparison with a BLF nide that produces about the same maximum brightness.

They could have saved more weight by having one LED and no USB charging, I assume.
Anodisation is good.
The Low is not that low at 70Lm – this is what bright incandescent lights used to make remember….
Appears very “industrial”. No effort was made to make it look nice.

Good light for well under 20USD, from a maker with good reputation. Good shipping too – these days it takes longer to get something from within Europe than from China.

« Reply #192 on: April 22, 2021, 11:31:13 AM »
This looked cool and interesting until I saw the reflectors. Why two orange peel ones? :think: Seems like a waisted opportunity to make it a much more versatile light. One orange peel for flood and one smooth for throw. But that would probably require an additional switch and be a tad more expensive.

dks cy

« Reply #193 on: April 22, 2021, 11:57:39 AM »
They do sell some with varying reflectors/LEDs on the same light.
It works well, but it is floody.
The cost of the battery alone is near the total cost of the light, so I can not complain.
I think you should be able to polish one of the reflectors if you want, though the LEDs will still be on together

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $79.60
PayPal Fees: $5.65
Net Balance: $73.95
Below Goal: $226.05
Site Currency: USD
25%