Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bit adapter extender

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Bit adapter extender
on: November 13, 2006, 01:45:36 AM
I read about one of these on another forum.  The user said that he e-mailed someone at LM and asked if they had plans to make a bit adapter for the Charge, Wave and Surge and LM sent him one for free. I e-mailed them the other day and they said that they had a few left and that they would put one in the mail to me :)  But that got me thinking that I could try to make a adapter myself until the LM made one comes in the mail. You can see that my grinding skills aren't the greatest in the world but it works good and lets me reach further with my Charge as well as use 1/4 sockets like the SOG adapter.

* lm bit adapter.jpg (Filesize: 46.67 KB)

* lm bit adapter2.jpg (Filesize: 57.9 KB)
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Re: Bit adapter extender
Reply #1 on: November 13, 2006, 01:49:47 AM
That is the one made by LM.  This is the one I made myself. The last pic is it compaired to the SOG socket adapter.
lmbit2.jpg
* lmbit2.jpg (Filesize: 25.19 KB)
lmbit3.jpg
* lmbit3.jpg (Filesize: 25.24 KB)
lmbit.jpg
* lmbit.jpg (Filesize: 42.69 KB)
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #2 on: November 13, 2006, 02:21:42 AM
Prime, I've got one of those adapter/extenders from Leatherman also. I like how it allows you to use a full-hex bit. (Instead of just the Leatherman flattened bits)

I have to admit though, that I've been a bit reluctant to really twist on anything hard while using it. I keep remembering how some guys talked about fragmenting the bit drivers on their Charge under heavy torque.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #3 on: November 13, 2006, 02:26:26 AM
You can see that my grinding skills aren't the greatest in the world but it works good

To me a tool doesn't need to look good, it needs to work good.  Who cares what it looks like if it gets the job done?  Great job!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: November 13, 2006, 02:27:37 AM
I've been thinking about that also.  In the e-mail I got form Monica she said that they would start selling the adapter on the LM website in the near future. Hopefully LM done some testing to see if that was a problem or not.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: November 13, 2006, 04:06:18 AM
BTW, where did you get the SOG adapter? I don't see it listed anywhere on their new website.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: November 13, 2006, 04:10:18 AM
BTW, where did you get the SOG adapter? I don't see it listed anywhere on their new website.
The adapter was included in a cheap bit set that I found on clearence at Ace Hardware in the town I live.
"

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: November 13, 2006, 04:17:43 AM
So it's nothing special? Just a 1/4" drive -to- 1/4" hex socket?

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 04:19:27 AM
So it's nothing special? Just a 1/4" drive -to- 1/4" hex socket?
Right
"

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 10:21:16 PM
I emailed LM last night inquiring about one and got a reply from them:

"I have an adapter extension that will work within your bit driver for your Charge.  We don't sell these right now as it's just a test product, but we hope at some point in the future we will be able to offer these for sale.

If the address below is a good one, I will send one to you."

Pretty cool.  Can't wait to try it out.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: November 14, 2006, 03:29:26 AM
It's pretty slick.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 03:54:05 AM
How exactly does it work?  Is it strictly an extender for the bits I have or does it allow me to use sockets also??

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 03:57:52 AM
The one Prime77 made himself is for sockets. The one from Leatherman fits into the flattened bit driver, but it has a full 1/4" hex drive.

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #13 on: November 14, 2006, 04:00:20 AM
OK, I think I understand now :)

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: November 14, 2006, 08:41:12 AM
I used the adapter that I made tonight with my LM Wave, as well as the socket adapter on the SOG PowerLock to change the blade on my SOG PPP.  Multitools working on multitools :D
"

us Offline prime77

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 18, 2006, 02:07:56 AM
I got the bit extender in the mail today from LM.  I have to say I like it alot.  I like how it takes both regular hex bits as well as the LM flat bits.  It's small enough to fit in the side pocket of the Charge sheath, plus it was free  :D
lmbit6.jpg
* lmbit6.jpg (Filesize: 28.51 KB)
lmbit4.jpg
* lmbit4.jpg (Filesize: 25.54 KB)
lmbit5.jpg
* lmbit5.jpg (Filesize: 35.46 KB)
"

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #16 on: November 18, 2006, 02:53:20 AM
I can't wait to get mine now....

Offline joebw

Reply #17 on: November 21, 2006, 07:53:59 PM
My bit extender/adaptor arrived today.  I've spent the last hour trying different hex bits with it as well as the flat Leatherman bits.  Included was a hex by square bit which allowed the use of 1/4"drive sockets.  My tests were done using both my Charge Ti and my Leatherman E306X knife.  Worked fine with both.

Ok, what are the advantages of this bit extender/adaptor?
1.  Allows the use of commonly available 1/4" hex bits while still allowing the use of the flatL'man bits.
2.  Adapts the tool or knife for use with 1/4" drive sockets.
3.  Give the knife or tool the ability to reach deeper into recesses that the short intergral bit holders lack.

I hope that Leatherman does add this to their line.  I expect I'll end up with several spread in different packs and the car.  I think this is a way that Leatherman will create more value in their tools for us.
Cheers - Joe

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #18 on: November 22, 2006, 03:05:12 AM
Is there a specific contact that you all are emailing at Leatherman?  I sent an inquiry to mktg@leatherman.com (which I got from the "Contact Us" page on Leatherman's website) a few days ago, and I haven't heard anything yet -not even one of those automatic "message received" replies.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2006, 03:55:29 AM
I can't wait till those hit production.  I have gotta get me one of them.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Lion

Reply #20 on: November 23, 2006, 05:20:08 PM
Is there a specific contact that you all are emailing at Leatherman?  I sent an inquiry to mktg@leatherman.com (which I got from the "Contact Us" page on Leatherman's website) a few days ago, and I haven't heard anything yet -not even one of those automatic "message received" replies.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't worry too much yet. Things tend to run slow during the week of Thanksgiving. People like being able to take of 3 days and get 5.

Leo

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 05:30:16 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but I wouldn't worry too much yet. Things tend to run slow during the week of Thanksgiving. People like being able to take of 3 days and get 5.

Leo

Thanks for the advice.  You're probably right, so I'll just try to be patient.

Russ

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 02:09:57 AM
Well, I got my bit extender in the mail last week and I really like it.  The review joebw gave, pretty much says it all :)  I'll be purchasing this one once it is released to the public, I'd like to have one in each of my cars tool kit.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 01:38:29 AM by CacherX4 »

Offline bobofish

Reply #23 on: November 29, 2006, 01:37:28 AM
Got an email today from Monica at LM, they're out of the prototypes....no more freebies.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: November 29, 2006, 01:44:02 AM
I'll bet they got hundreds of emails from members and lurkers here!

Def

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #25 on: November 29, 2006, 01:47:46 AM
I admit I contacted them moments after prime77 started this thread, but I was one of the lucky ones who got an extender :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: November 29, 2006, 02:38:20 AM
I barely managed to hold off myself.  I figured that many others here would be after them and I thought I'd let everyone else have a shot.

But I'd be lying if I said stepping back was easy!

Def

Offline bobofish

Reply #27 on: November 30, 2006, 12:58:25 AM
I just hope they sell them for a reasonable price...realistically it would be nice if they included them from now on.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%