Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Robot Tool: Review and comparison

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Robot Tool: Review and comparison
on: February 19, 2012, 11:35:25 PM
Darrell of RoBoT Metalworks kindly sent me a RoBoT TooL for evaluation.  For the uninitiated, the RoBoT TooL is a new entry into the one piece tool market.  The RoBoT TooL distinguishes itself from other tools in this segment of the market by having a combination bottle opener AND can opener and a combination debarker, tinder scraper as design features.

Here's a shot of the RoBoT Tool with two other well known one piece tools, an Atwood Prybaby Roid edition and a PocketTool X Piranha.

Thickness wise, it is the thinnest of the three tools:

This makes the prytip less steep and easier to get into narrow spaces:

So, I carried this tool all weekend and gave it a pretty good workout.  The tools consist of:
7/16 wrench and pin wrench (antenna),
small Phillips (ear)
standard flat driver (ear)
1/4 hex driver (left eye)
acetylene B wrench (right eye)
oxygen wrench (mouth)
debarker/tinder scraper
combo can/bottle opener  (With integral large Phillips driver)
pry tip

Of these tools, the ones I actually use regularly are the drivers, can and bottle opener and pry tip. 

Let me start with the highlights:

1.  Flat driver:  If there's enough clearance to use this flat driver, it is the BEST flat driver of any flat tool I've used.  Despite the thinness of the tool, the wedge shaped driver keeps it from twisting.   The shape of the tip allows for high torque with minimal slipping.

Here's a picture after the weekend's work:

2. Combo Can/Bottle opener:  As a bottle opener it is excellent.  It is extremely grippy and allows easy opening due to the length of the tool's fulcrum.  The only downside is the tinder scraper, which does dig into the hand a bit.  But where this tool really shines is the can opener.  I used this on normal cans AND the large #10 green bean cans.  Yes, it would be slow for the large can.  Yes, I had to use a glove on the big can (due to the tinder scraper and the "ears") BUT it effectively opened the can--better than the Wenger opener on the big cans:

This is an amazing feature.  After working on 3 different cans, the opener shows no evidence of wear.

Additionally, the corner of the opener works extremely well as a 2D Phillips driver.  It is actually more effective than the small Phillips driver.

Next, the pry tip:  I used this to help remove some seriously stuck pins on the tractor.  There was a tiny crack to work with.  Too small to effectively get the Atwood or PocketTool X tools in.  It was a screwdriver tip or the RoBoT TooL.  The RoBoT TooL did great and showed no evidence of flexing in the process.    The only downside are the pokiness of the "ears" when working with it.  In one instance, the antennae strafed the palm of my hand pretty good, but wearing a glove helps a lot.

At this point, I will say that the small Phillips driver and the 1/4 wrench/driver works fine but there are other 2D Phillips that work better and the 1/4 driver could use a system to retain bits.

I tried out the debarker and tinder scraper.  I must say, while it worked (slowly), I think even the smallest pocket knife would be massively more effective.  For the amount of discomfort that the tinder scraper causes in can opening and prying, I think the RoBoT TooL would be better off without it.

Opinions:
1. I like the compactness.  The ears don't cause any problems in pocket carry.
2.  The can opener is "the Bomb".  no other tool has it and this one works great.
3.  The flat driver is outstanding, if you have the clearance to use it.
4.  The large Phillips driver is very good
5.  The bottle opener is very good.
6.  Based on what I use, I would prefer if the oxygen wrench, acetylene B wrench and tinder scraper were replaced with a graduated wrench (either like the Pocketwrench II  or in the style of the Atwood Prybaby) instead.

After the weekend of work, the RoBoT TooL is no worse for the wear:

In summary, if a can opener is part of your intended uses, this is the ONLY one piece I know of with that particular feature and it works very well.  This is a very promising tool with a completely different take on the one piece tool.

us Offline BlueDot

Re: Robot Tool: Review and comparison
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 01:43:27 AM

Excellent review Mr. W.
What would the pin wrench be used for?  Is that a standard size for something?
There are just 10 types of people in the world:  those who understand binary number systems, and those who don't

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 01:59:44 AM
I was wondering the same thing.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 02:01:33 AM
I believe it fits a utility knife.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 02:18:36 AM
There's really no other one piece that can open cans?  None of Mr Atwoods ever did that?  I dont know much about the one piecers, but I just assumed that must be a common feature.  I guess Im so used to it being on every MT and SAK.

Edit:  You've now got me wondering if I could thin the edge on my PocketTool X Piranha's bottle opener to serve as a can opener.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 02:20:21 AM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 02:24:03 AM
I find the best way to open a can these days is to use the pull tab on the top of them....

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 02:30:34 AM
I find the best way to open a can these days is to use the pull tab on the top of them....

Def

Funny thing is, once i wanted to test a SAK opener, and all the chef boyRdee cans were pull top.  Life sure has changed from the days when the soldiers had to carry a chisel and mallet for opening cans... :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:32:41 AM
I have wanted to do a can opener challenge for a while, but finding cans without pull tops is getting harder and harder.  Most of the ones I encounter are things I wouldn't eat if you paid me... :P

Def

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:05 AM
do they have a website I couldn't find anything? there are some smaller 1 piece wallet tools with can openers also

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 03:11:15 AM

ca Offline jzmtl

Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 04:05:04 AM
I have wanted to do a can opener challenge for a while, but finding cans without pull tops is getting harder and harder.  Most of the ones I encounter are things I wouldn't eat if you paid me... :P

Def

The ready to eat stuff are mostly pull tab now, but the ones you have to cook still come in regular can, at least that's what I noticed.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 05:38:14 PM
they are pricey like an atwood

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 05:42:17 PM
The price would be the biggest red flag for me, you can get a pretty well loaded SAK for less than that, that does more and easier to carry on a keychain... so I just don't get the point.  Of course I didn't get the point of Atwoods either, but I finally do understand those... more like unique pocket art that's also a tool... so they aren't priced solely on function. 

us Offline RoBoT-TooL

Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 06:59:47 PM
I'd like to thank Mr. Whippy for all of the input, I do appreciate it. It sounds like you had a good time.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%